Review by ZeroChill -- The Expansion by Christoph Martin

This forum is for volunteer reviews by members of our review team. These reviews are done voluntarily by the reviewers and are published in this forum, separate from the official professional reviews. These reviews are kept separate primarily because the same book may be reviewed by many different reviewers.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
ZeroChill
Currently Reading: 20,000 Leagues Under the Sea
Bookshelf Size: 48
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-zerochill.html
Latest Review: "My Boogie board ride to Denmark" by Tedd Wallace

Review by ZeroChill -- The Expansion by Christoph Martin

Post by ZeroChill »

[Following is a volunteer review of "The Expansion" by Christoph Martin.]
Book Cover
4 out of 4 stars
Share This Review

The Expansion by Christoph Martin is a thriller, based on the expansion of a canal in Panama. The story involves an expansion of the canal which will allow more traffic to flow through it. The story begins with Max Burns, a young and enthusiastic engineer from England who is presented with the opportunity to be the chief engineer for this project. Max accepts the offer readily, thinking this might be the key to his successful future. Murder, crime, mystery and secret agencies all have a hand in this thrilling tale of the business world of construction and the need for power and control of the canal.

Max leaves his fiancée and a stable job for this once in a lifetime opportunity. What Max doesn’t know is that he is being set up by his employer. The company that hires him is enmeshed with corruption and bribery, illegally winning the bid for the expansion of the canal. While Max and his team are busy building the canal, tensions in the area rise with the involvement of the Americans and the Chinese to gain control of the Panama Canal.

Karis Deen is an agent who is after Max, believing that he is involved in strengthening the Chinese in Panama. Max falls for Karis, not being able to discover her true motives.

The story line is well knit; the backstories of the main characters have been beautifully built in the first few chapters. I think this is enough to cast a spell on the reader and influence him to read the whole book as soon as possible. For me, the book had a different charm because I have always been a fan of crime and thrill, especially when the story involves facts of our real life. The book shows what people are willing to do just to have power over things.

Though the book starts with a good pace, there are so many turns and plot-twists that the reader is baffled. The book is not like any other ordinary thriller in the market with a predictable and foreseeable outcome, but Christoph Martin lets his readers enjoy all that they can and then makes them wish there was something more. There are some irrelevant things which don’t make an important impression in the story, but their presence doesn’t make the book any less great than it already is.

I didn’t find any mistake related to spellings or grammar. I am happy to give the book 4 out of 4 stars. My initial thoughts were about giving it 3 stars, but the perfect plot made the ending so good that it changed my mind. I would recommend all my readers to enjoy this book, as it is a masterpiece among all the thrillers I have read!

The Expansion
View: on Bookshelves | on Amazon | on iTunes

Like ZeroChill's review? Post a comment saying so!
Latest Review: "My Boogie board ride to Denmark" by Tedd Wallace
Envision Tressy
Bookshelf Size: 12
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-envision-tressy.html
Latest Review: "Raven's Peak" by Lincoln Cole

Post by Envision Tressy »

zerochill, once again you have amazed me by your review. The description is nice and choice of words is good too. will be looking forward to see more reviews from you.

-- 28 Oct 2017, 06:33 --

i have a request ffrom you, will you be kind enough to review lemoncella coctail? i would love to see that from your side
Her eyes were like the sun, glowing red hot in the darkness of light!
BigBrother
Bookshelf Size: 0
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-bigbrother.html

Post by BigBrother »

wow a perfect 4 out of 4? looks like you really loved the book. I have been planning to read the book for some time but havent been able to manage time :(
Shayari Ayi
Bookshelf Size: 8
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-shayari-ayi.html

Post by Shayari Ayi »

Wonderful review fella. I hope to see some more good stuff from you. Kindly increase your discussion length so that i can get the most out of it
Ezekielafog12
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 16

Post by Ezekielafog12 »

looks like you really loved the book,Wonderful review
Festus
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 7
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-festus.html
Latest Review: The Dark Web Murders by Brian O'Hare

Post by Festus »

No title could have been more appropriate than what Martin has chosen, given the fact that the scenario around the conception and construction of one of the greatest engineering feats of modern period, Panama Canal is more or less shrouded in territorial expansionist agenda by the power that be. Historically. Latin America has been a political theatre for global powers.What came into play before and after the Panama Canal attested to the aforementioned assertion. For instance, the extradition and consequent imprisonment of Manuel Noriega in US on allegation of aiding drug trafficking was believed to be a fall out of the Torrisjos Carter Treaty of 7th September, 1977 which conceded the control of Panama Canal to the Panamanian authority after 1999. There is probably a thin line separating the events in "The Expansion" and the notorious Berlin Conference of 1884-85. Great review and kudos to ZeroChill.

Return to “Volunteer Reviews”