Review of The Man Who Fell in Love With His Wife

Please use this sub-forum to discuss any crime, thriller, mystery or horror books or series.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
Annabell Samuel
Book of the Month Participant
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 48
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-annabell-samuel.html
Latest Review: Journey To The Heartland by Xiaolong Huang

Review of The Man Who Fell in Love With His Wife

Post by Annabell Samuel »

[Following is an official OnlineBookClub.org review of "The Man Who Fell in Love With His Wife" by Patrick Oster.]
Book Cover
5 out of 5 stars
Share This Review

Have you stayed long with people only to realize they are not who they say they are? If you've ever experienced that, you've probably felt betrayed and wanted to do anything to find closure. This was the situation Duncan MacEwen found himself in. His wife, Deborah, had just died in a car crash. While looking for his wife's personal effects in the vehicle, he saw some things that made him question who his wife was. Was she a government agent? Was she a spy? Was her death an accident, or was the accident a means to cover up the murder of his wife? You'll find all the answers in "The Man Who Fell in Love with His Wife" by Patrick Oster.

I am a big fan of spy stories. I love the feeling of adventure and dangerous quests I get when I watch a spy movie or read a spy book. It was the same feeling I had a few pages into this book. From the moment the narrator made those discoveries in his wife's car, I knew the book was building up for a heavily adventurous narrative. When it came to adventure, the book did not disappoint. This was the first thing I liked about the book; it kept me reading for long periods of time without taking a break.

I also liked the characterization in this book. The author did not flood the book with many characters, as you would expect from an adventure story. Every character played a role and left a remarkable effect on me. I was most drawn to Tesla. She was a techy girl who was not afraid of an adventure, no matter how dangerous the adventure was. Her lifestyle and approach to life were realistic and akin to what one would expect from a tech nerd. I also liked the character development of Duncan. I saw how he grew from a naive husband to an unofficial detective.

There was absolutely nothing I disliked about the book. I enjoyed every bit of it, including the surprise elements the author used in the story. Therefore, I'd rate it five out of five stars. I'd recommend this book to lovers of spy and detective stories.

The Man Who Fell in Love With His Wife
View: on Bookshelves
Amy Luman
Previous Member of the Month
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 1026
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-amy-luman.html
Latest Review: 2084 by Kadon Landon Peterson
Reading Device: B00JG8GOWU

Post by Amy Luman »

A sense of adventure makes a book great for me, too. It is especially good when I am allowed to try and figure out the mystery even though I am not very good at it. I am excited to read this. Thanks!
Yin Jiang
Currently Reading: The Undercover Economist Strikes Back
Bookshelf Size: 16
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-yin-jiang.html
Latest Review: Kalayla by Jeannie Nicholas

Post by Yin Jiang »

This is such a good review! I liked how concise you are in expressing what you liked about the book. I need to learn to write like you. Also, this book sounds like a fascinating read. I too enjoy a good adventure. Thank you!

Return to “Crime, Thrillers, Mystery and Horror Books”