Review by jimthorne2 -- The Expansion by Christoph Martin

This forum is for volunteer reviews by members of our review team. These reviews are done voluntarily by the reviewers and are published in this forum, separate from the official professional reviews. These reviews are kept separate primarily because the same book may be reviewed by many different reviewers.
jimthorne2
2017 Reading Goal: 100
2017 Reading Goal Completion: 103
Favorite Book: <a href="http://forums.onlinebookclub.org/shelve ... 24230">The Case for Christ</a>
Currently Reading: Escape
Bookshelf Size: 155
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-jimthorne2.html
Latest Review: And Then I Met Margaret by Rob White
Reading Device: B00JG8GOWU

Review by jimthorne2 -- The Expansion by Christoph Martin

Post by jimthorne2 » 27 Sep 2017, 19:15

[Following is a volunteer review of "The Expansion" by Christoph Martin.]
Book Cover
4 out of 4 stars
Share This Review

The Panama Canal, a mega project from the past, is the backdrop to this book. The Canal is to be updated, and The Expansion by Christof Martin is written to tell the story of the game of industrial espionage involved in such an enterprise.

Christof Martin starts out the book with the family tragedy of the main character’s parents that marks him for life. Max Burns does succeed and becomes a world-renowned geomantic engineer who can lead the expansion of the Panama Canal. I was fascinated by the technology I was exposed to in this interesting account.

The author develops the plot in five parts. Part 1 introduces the main characters: Max Burns, an engineer, and Karis Deen, a scientist. Part 2 describes the Panama Canal and friends of Max. These along with American Ambassador, Roebuck, will play a significant role in gaining Max a contract for construction of the expanded Canal. In Part 3 the drama and intrigue of the story increase as Max’s company gain the contract. Part 4 presents the reader to a team of players that seek to control the outcome of the plot. Part 5 reveals complications to the plot that shows that the game of industrial espionage is a part of the expansion involved in this story.

Martin produces some strong personalities who drive the story forward. Max Burns is moved along by events. Karis Deen moves events along. Godfredo and Paco are family friends with ulterior motives. Larry Roebuck is an ambitious Ambassador. A government agent and a Chinese diplomat provide tension and mystery.

The writer offers a multifaceted tale with many subplots molded together into a realistic chronology of events that could occur in our present era. I like the complicated plot moves that take entertaining pace although the story gets bogged down in details at different points. What I like most is that the plot develops through events created by characters who become tangled together as their strengths and weaknesses develop. The use of backstory is effective in building tension. The perspective of the book is international business at a personal level. Dialogue is subtle and helpful in showing the sensitivity of the characters. Although not a travelogue, the scenes depicted give a good feel of life and activities in that Central American country. Panamanian culture shines through the tale complete with sights and sounds.

I rate this book 4 out of 4 stars. Giving the book this rating assures that a reader will learn much about the Panama Canal, the intricacies of industrial espionage, and the intrigue of persons caring enough to get involved with one another. I recommend the book to someone in the business world interested in subtle details of the deals that result in business contracts.

Reading a book like this does much to stretch the knowledge of the reader and introduce him or her to the intricacies of international business affairs. The reader will be enriched.

The Expansion
View: on Bookshelves | on Amazon | on iTunes

Like jimthorne2's review? Post a comment saying so!
Jim Thorne

aussiebooklover
Currently Reading: Absolute Power
Bookshelf Size: 38

Post by aussiebooklover » 02 Oct 2017, 02:03

Great review! I agree with you: 4/4 stars for plot, cast and overall quality! It’s a great and very entertaining spy novel!

Jan Moraa Onsomu
2017 Reading Goal: 5
2017 Reading Goal Completion: 260
Favorite Book: <a href="http://forums.onlinebookclub.org/shelve ... 9266">Kite Runner</a>
Currently Reading: Raven's Peak
Bookshelf Size: 30
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-jan-moraa-onsomu.html
Latest Review: "The 11.05 Murders" by Brian O'Hare

Post by Jan Moraa Onsomu » 03 Oct 2017, 04:41

I like your review, it's great that you give a personalised feel of what intrigued you about the book without giving away the story.

jimthorne2
2017 Reading Goal: 100
2017 Reading Goal Completion: 103
Favorite Book: <a href="http://forums.onlinebookclub.org/shelve ... 24230">The Case for Christ</a>
Currently Reading: Escape
Bookshelf Size: 155
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-jimthorne2.html
Latest Review: And Then I Met Margaret by Rob White
Reading Device: B00JG8GOWU

Post by jimthorne2 » 03 Oct 2017, 14:06

Thanks for the encouraging comments. I found the Expansion to be both interesting to read and a challenge to reveiw.
Jim Thorne

Umarfarooq Patel
Bookshelf Size: 0

Post by Umarfarooq Patel » 16 Nov 2017, 12:45

The book is written in anew orators point of view not a book

-- 16 Nov 2017, 12:46 --

The book is written in The Orators point of view not a book

CommMayo
Previous Member of the Month
2018 Reading Goal: 30
2017 Reading Goal: 6
2018 Reading Goal Completion: 96
2017 Reading Goal Completion: 183
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 44
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-commmayo.html
Latest Review: Masquerade Ball by Peter Rouleau
Reading Device: B00G2Y4WNY

Post by CommMayo » 16 Nov 2017, 14:12

It this book completely factual or is it a historical fiction account of the canal expansion?

I just watched a great documentary that follows the building, expansion, and transition of the canal from the US government to the Panamanian government. A very interesting topic, especially in light of the proposed canal through Nicaragua.

SumanBDasgupta
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 2

Post by SumanBDasgupta » 27 May 2018, 22:38

I just went through a great documentary that follows the building, expansion, and transition of the canal from the US government to the Panamanian government. A very interesting topic, especially in light of the proposed canal through Nicaragua.
I would recommend others who havent read the story yet to read it. Its an amazing story

dadule 1
Bookshelf Size: 0

Post by dadule 1 » 29 Jun 2018, 19:59

This book covers the intrigue and machinations associated with a project to expand the Panama Canal. The premise allows for a diverse group of interesting characters as proposals are developed, a contract is awarded, and construction begins.
The story arc could be described as a long, slow buildup with a quick hook at the end. The many interesting characters makes this a great read.

Return to “Volunteer Reviews”