Review of The Hidden Burglar

Please use this sub-forum to discuss any crime, thriller, mystery or horror books or series.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
SweetSourSalty AndSpicy
Book of the Month Participant
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 251
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-sweetsoursalty-andspicy.html
Latest Review: The Mission by Tara Basi

Review of The Hidden Burglar

Post by SweetSourSalty AndSpicy »

[Following is an official OnlineBookClub.org review of "The Hidden Burglar" by Jacquel Clark.]
Book Cover
4 out of 5 stars
Share This Review

Bobby, a hired burglar, was tasked with stealing a sealed envelope from a grand house. He found three lifeless bodies just as he was about to complete the job. What was supposed to be an ordinary burglary escalated into a complex triple homicide case. The alibis and backgrounds of the suspects are all intriguing yet questionable. The investigation gets complex with new leads and information. Disturbing details of adulterous relationships, rival vampire clans, and assumed identities are exposed. As the detectives delve deeper into the twisted web of lies and deceit, they realize nothing is as it seems.

The Hidden Burglar by Jacquel Clark is a crime thriller with a touch of vampirism. The narrative delves into unconventional lives and relationships, including unusual partnerships and vampire factions entangled in a complex web of adultery, deceit, and criminality. Each character has a captivating backstory that casts doubt and adds depth to the storytelling. The book also touches on societal, cultural, and historical references, including population control measures and a rich musical heritage. It addresses socially relevant subjects such as adultery, domestic abuse, and the living conditions of senior citizens, as well as the impact of upbringing and environment on adult life. Moreover, it sheds light on fraudulent identities and the bureaucracy involved in criminal investigations.

The story presents a different perception of vampires, portraying vampirism as a psychological and physiological condition, challenging conventional thinking. The subplot concerning the senior people is also insightful.

The skillful use of red herrings to create unexpected plot twists is a notable feature of the book, which was my favorite part. However, I have some reservations on some aspects. While informative, the book’s incorporation of diverse topics creates complexity but needs a seamless transition to hatch a cohesive plot. The extensive backstories, though insightful, slow down the pace at times, and the introduction of the vampire concept, while fresh, feels forced and does not align well with the themes of adultery and deception. The murder and crime elements would remain intriguing and mysterious even without the vampire element, as would the scenes involving the elderly, which do not contribute to the suspense of the murder investigation.

Despite my reservations about these aspects, I appreciated the surprising ending. Elements that appeared to foreshadow future events piqued my interest, leaving room for further speculation, possibly suggesting a sequel.

Given the many names mentioned in the story, a glossary of the cast would be a welcome addition to aid in recall.

The simple vocabulary and neat editing contribute to the book’s readability. While it contains bloody scenes and profanity, the sexual content is only suggested. It touches on same-sex relationships, suicide, and domestic abuse but does not present anything offensive to religious groups. Suitable for audiences aged sixteen and up who appreciate suspenseful and unpredictable crime fiction, this book may interest those seeking an alternative take on vampirism. However, readers who prefer bloody and spooky vampire stories may want to look elsewhere. This book takes a more psychological approach to the vampire genre.

The plot’s appeal lies in the deft use of red herrings. However, I am deducting a rating due to some reservations mentioned above, awarding it four out of five.

The Hidden Burglar
View: on Bookshelves | on Amazon
Yin Jiang
Currently Reading: The Undercover Economist Strikes Back
Bookshelf Size: 16
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-yin-jiang.html
Latest Review: The Unfakeable Code® by Tony Jeton Selimi

Post by Yin Jiang »

This is a very skilfully written review that shows that I still have much to learn in terms of book reviewing. I loved how the reviewer was able to pull out all the different elements of the book, yet not spoil anything for a potential reader. The addressing of points of concern was also done tactfully, and demonstrates critical yet constructive feedback. Thank you for the wonderful review.
Nwachukwu Somto
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 20
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-nwachukwu-somto.html
Latest Review: Embrace the Challenge by Akwasi O Ofori

Post by Nwachukwu Somto »

I appreciate how you highlighted the captivating backstories of each character and the societal issues addressed in the book, such as adultery and domestic abuse. Your analysis of the portrayal of vampirism as a psychological condition and the subplot involving senior citizens provides valuable perspective on the author's approach to these themes.
Julius Peters
In It Together VIP
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 17
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-julius-peters.html
Latest Review: Quando Dormo by Edward Izzi

Post by Julius Peters »

The Hidden Burglar's intricate plot and psychological take on vampirism captivated me, though the myriad of topics sometimes made it feel a bit disjointed.
Kristin Cowan
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 78
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kristin-cowan.html
Latest Review: How to be a SuperStar Salesperson by Audri White

Post by Kristin Cowan »

The review had me until vampire clans. That adds a new element to a murder mystery haha.
NetMassimo
Previous Member of the Month
Currently Reading: Fantastic Voyage II
Bookshelf Size: 441
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-netmassimo.html
Latest Review: The Writing for the Vialins by Anna Yusuf
2024 Reading Goal: 60
2024 Goal Completion: 56%

Post by NetMassimo »

Some bits of the story seem heavy-handed but overall, this seems like an engaging thriller with the inclusion of vampirism, which are used without the usual gore that accompany them. Thank you for your great review!
Ciao :)
Massimo

Return to “Crime, Thrillers, Mystery and Horror Books”