Official Review: Freeing Linhurst by Al Cassidy

Please use this sub-forum to discuss any crime, thriller, mystery or horror books or series.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
bookowlie
Special Discussion Leader
Favorite Book: The Lost Continent
Currently Reading: The Night She Went Missing
Bookshelf Size: 442
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-bookowlie.html
Latest Review: To Paint A Murder by E. J. Gandolfo

Official Review: Freeing Linhurst by Al Cassidy

Post by bookowlie »

[Following is an official OnlineBookClub.org review of "Freeing Linhurst" by Al Cassidy.]
Book Cover
3 out of 4 stars
Share This Review

Freeing Linhurst by Al Cassidy is a young adult mystery with paranormal elements. While doing research for a class assignment, ninth-grader Jack Alexander becomes curious about Linhurst, an abandoned state school and hospital for the mentally challenged. Some people think the old place is haunted and others would rather forget the stain of an institution where the residents were mistreated. When Jack starts asking questions, the locals get nervous and warn him away from investigating what happened there. Even Mr. Thomson, the school’s principal, may have something to hide as he intervenes and changes the topic of Jack’s assignment. Linhurst is scheduled for demolition in a few days. Armed with a map of the buildings, will Jack and his friend Celia discover what the town has been hiding before the secrets are buried forever?

Jack is a likable science geek who is intellectually curious and assertive toward adults when the need arises. The friendship between Jack and his friend Celia is realistically written and their characters are well drawn. Mr. Moseley, the school janitor, is an intriguing supporting character. He used to be a doctor at Linhurst and provides Jack and Celia with important details about the institution. On the other hand, some of the supporting characters are one-dimensional and almost seem cartoonish.

The author has done a fine job of crafting a fresh, creative mystery with vivid setting descriptions. The story has a nice blend of interesting themes – local politics, mental institution abuse, environmental, and paranormal. Placing key parts of the plot on Halloween night was an effective way to ratchet up the spookiness.

In the first third of the story, the pacing is slow with high school routines and long explanations of the tragic history of Linhurst. Then Jack and Celia sneak into the abandoned property on Halloween and the suspense kicks into high gear. The scenes inside Linhurst feel a bit choppy and rushed at times. That may have been the author’s intention, but I found it dizzying as the characters darted around the property. Still, the imagery is clear of the eerie sights and sounds as the teens make their way through the different buildings and underground tunnels.

I rate this book 3 out of 4 stars. It is an enjoyable read, despite a slow start. I found it particularly interesting that the author was inspired by a real-life mental institution in his Pennsylvania hometown. Although the main characters are in ninth grade, the writing style and characterizations seem more suited for tween readers rather than high schoolers. I would recommend this story to readers ages 11-13 who enjoy mysteries with a mix of paranormal and social themes.

Freeing Linhurst
View: on Bookshelves | on Barnes and Noble

Like bookowlie's review? Post a comment saying so!
"The best way out is always through" - Robert Frost
gali
Previous Member of the Month
Favorite Author: Agatha Christie
Currently Reading: Pride and Prejudice in Space
Bookshelf Size: 2288
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-gali.html
Reading Device: B00I15SB16
Publishing Contest Votes: 0
fav_author_id: 2484

Post by gali »

Sounds like a nice young adult mystery. It is indeed interesting that the author was inspired by a real-life mental institution. I am glad you enjoyed the book despite the slow parts. Great review as always! :)
A retired Admin/Mod

Pronouns: She/Her

"In the case of good books, the point is not to see how many of them you can get through, but rather how many can get through to you." (Mortimer J. Adler)
kislany
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 527
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kislany.html
Latest Review: Golden Skies by Juan Zapata

Post by kislany »

Great review. I am curious about the paranormal elements. Were they ghosts lurking about? Or poltergeists? Or was something else entirely? I love YA books, and this now caught my attention.
The Researcher
Currently Reading: Buried Threads
Bookshelf Size: 101
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-the-researcher.html
Latest Review: "Curve Couture" by H M Irwing
Reading Device: B00I15SB16

Post by The Researcher »

Great review! The book looks interesting for the young readers.
What is the most special thing I did today- I was MYSELF. Happy and in love and unapologetically myself.
Latest Review: "Curve Couture" by H M Irwing
kandscreeley
Currently Reading: The Door Within
Bookshelf Size: 487
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kandscreeley.html
Latest Review: The Elf Revelation by Jordan David

Post by kandscreeley »

It sounds like quite an interesting story to me. I know that there are some negatives, but maybe the author can do some revision and make this really stand out! Thanks for another really good review! I always enjoy reading yours.
A book is a dream you hold in your hands.
—Neil Gaiman
bookowlie

Post by bookowlie »

Thanks everyone for the positive feedback. It's refreshing to read a young adult book that include drugs, sexual situations, etc.

-- 27 Sep 2017, 11:22 --
kislany wrote:Great review. I am curious about the paranormal elements. Were they ghosts lurking about? Or poltergeists? Or was something else entirely? I love YA books, and this now caught my attention.
Thanks Kislany. The paranormal scenes have ghosts that were people that either worked or lived at Linhurst decades earlier.
Zelinda
Favorite Book: The Swallow
Currently Reading: Of Illusions and Inkwells
Bookshelf Size: 689
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-zelinda.html
Latest Review: The Girl Who Knew da Vinci by Belle Ami
Reading Device: B00JG8GOWU

Post by Zelinda »

Thanks for your review. I actually was thinking it was a book I'd like to read, but when it got downgraded from YA to tween I decided not to. My granddaughter might like it, though. Even though you only gave it 3 stars, it sounded like you thought of it as a four star.
“In books I have traveled, not only to other worlds, but into my own.”
― Anna Quindlen, How Reading Changed My Life
Elle Howard
Currently Reading: If life stinks get your head outta your buts
Bookshelf Size: 50
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-elle-howard.html
Latest Review: And Then I Met Margaret by Rob White
Reading Device: 1400698987

Post by Elle Howard »

This sounds like a really good book and I love the cover art. I enjoy a good suspense thriller but I don't think this is the one for me. I enjoyed reading your review. It is very well written and makes a lot of strong points about the book.
Any book that helps a child to form a habit of reading, to make reading one of his deep and continuing needs, is good for him.
–Maya Angelou
MrsCatInTheHat
Favorite Book: Cry the Beloved Country
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 376
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-mrscatinthehat.html
Latest Review: Marc Marci by Larry G. Goldsmith
Reading Device: B00JG8GOWU
Publishing Contest Votes: 0

Post by MrsCatInTheHat »

I think this would be a great book to get my nephew to read, at the same time I read it. It would be fun to discuss it with him later.
Life without a good book is something MrsCatInTheHat cannot imagine.
bookowlie

Post by bookowlie »

Zelinda wrote:Thanks for your review. I actually was thinking it was a book I'd like to read, but when it got downgraded from YA to tween I decided not to. My granddaughter might like it, though. Even though you only gave it 3 stars, it sounded like you thought of it as a four star.
Thanks Zelinda. I struggled a bit with the rating. The book was a solid read, but I found the plot took too long to move forward in the first third of the book. Then other parts were too rushed and I found myself rereading certain parts for clarity. As far as the age range, I would say it's still a young adult book, but the way the main characters acted, they seemed young even though they were in ninth grade. The writing style also seemed less sophisticated and more suitable for tweens and early tweens.

-- 28 Sep 2017, 00:05 --

Thanks Elle Howard and CatintheHat for the nice feedback. It was an enjoyable read.
juliusotinyo
Bookshelf Size: 49
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-juliusotinyo.html
Latest Review: Marrying a Playboy Billionaire by H M Irwing

Post by juliusotinyo »

I've never read from this genre before. Mystery books wasn't my thing either, till I tried out a few titles. Thanks for an insightful review. Might just look into this one​.
MsTri
Favorite Author: Miranda Ann Markley
Favorite Book: The Spirit Seeds Book 1
Currently Reading: the Secret of Safe Passage
Bookshelf Size: 1033
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-mstri.html
Latest Review: Suddenly Free, Vol. 1 by Yvette Carmon Davis
Reading Device: B07HZHJGY7
fav_author_id: 225682

Post by MsTri »

I love both YA fiction and the paranormal/supernatural, so this certainly sounds like something I'd like to try out. And thanks for the forewarning about the dizzying pace during the latter part of the book.
bookowlie

Post by bookowlie »

juliusotinyo wrote:I've never read from this genre before. Mystery books wasn't my thing either, till I tried out a few titles. Thanks for an insightful review. Might just look into this one​.
Thanks for the nice feedback! I love mysteries although the ones with paranormal themes sometimes creep me out. :)

-- 29 Sep 2017, 12:05 --
MsTri wrote:I love both YA fiction and the paranormal/supernatural, so this certainly sounds like something I'd like to try out. And thanks for the forewarning about the dizzying pace during the latter part of the book.
Some people might like the dizzying pace in the scenes that take place inside Linhurst. For me, it was too busy.
Amagine
Favorite Author: James Patterson
Bookshelf Size: 721
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-amagine.html
Latest Review: "Salome and Gogo visit Soweto" by Cora Groenewald
Reading Device: B00IKPYKWG
fav_author_id: 3251

Post by Amagine »

This sounds like a book in the middle grade genre and lately that genre has become my favorite. Even though the beginning of the book is slow, the plot still seems fairly interesting. I'll have to give it a read.

Great Review! ?
"Piglet noticed that even though he had a very small heart, it could hold a rather large amount of gratitude." -A.A Milne

"I am grateful for all the books that sparked my imagination." -Unknown
Latest Review: "Salome and Gogo visit Soweto" by Cora Groenewald
bookowlie

Post by bookowlie »

Amagine wrote:This sounds like a book in the middle grade genre and lately that genre has become my favorite. Even though the beginning of the book is slow, the plot still seems fairly interesting. I'll have to give it a read.

Great Review! ?
Thanks Amagine for the nice feedback. The plot is certainly original and creative. By the way, your seasonal profile picture is so spooky!

Return to “Crime, Thrillers, Mystery and Horror Books”