Official Review: The Man With Evil Eyes

Please use this sub-forum to discuss any crime, thriller, mystery or horror books or series.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
jemgirl202
Currently Reading: Harry Potter and the Goblet of Fire
Bookshelf Size: 870
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-jemgirl202.html
Latest Review: My Angel My Hero by Brenda E. Mcdaniel

Official Review: The Man With Evil Eyes

Post by jemgirl202 »

[Following is an official OnlineBookClub.org review of "The Man With Evil Eyes" by Robert Cawley and Rena Winters.]
Book Cover
3 out of 4 stars
Share This Review

How could someone be truly evil? Homicide reporter, Gene Mclain asks himself that same question in The Man With The Evil Eyes written by Robert Cawley. It's the year 1950 and two cars salesmen have gone missing. The police don't suspect any mischief and write the case off as just two guys who are partying in Mexico.

However, Gene Mclain has a gut instinct that there is something else going on with this case. When a car from the dealership that these men worked for is found abandoned, Mclain knows they are looking at a double homicide. Determined to search out the truth, Mclain investigates where the police will not go. Over and over again, Mclain's investigations lead to nothing until the two bodies are discovered. Mclain knows he has a duty to report the truth and wants to get to the bottom of this horrific murder. He discovers the murderer but is not prepared for the motive behind the murder.

I picked this book because I enjoy a good crime and suspense novel. One thing about most crime novels is that there seems to always be a determined individual who will not cease until the case or problem is solved. That is so true about this novel. Gene Mclain is an award winning homicide reporter who will stop at nothing to solve this case. He goes off of pure instinct or intuition. However, what can be called determination comes off as cocky and egotistical. He puts reporting above everything including his family. I had hoped that his character would have more development but he continued to risk his family's well-being to expose the truth. This may seem admirable but I actually despised his character. He also came off creepy. He called his wife, "his little girl" several times. Whenever there was a woman in the room there was always a mention of her breasts, her hips or how her body looked. These descriptions were over-the-top.

There were a couple things I did enjoy about this book. Every scene is very detailed and the author includes the music that is playing. There are at least 25 songs that are used to describe different scenes throughout the book. This added a very unique touch. I also enjoyed the motive and personality of the killer. The author did a great job making him truly evil.

My biggest problem with this novel was the pacing. It was extremely slow. A good portion of the book goes into detail about Mclain going into different clubs and restaurants, asking the same question and getting the same answer. I love that the author is detailed but there needed to be a way to pace these scenes a little better. If you are a little sensitive to graphic violence then this will not be the book for you. There are a few graphic descriptions of the murder. This is a book for those enjoy crime and suspense novels. I rate this book 3 out of 4 stars since this book looked to be well-edited but I could not give it a perfect score due to the pacing and lack of development with the main character.

The Man With Evil Eyes
View: on Bookshelves

Like jemgirl202's review? Post a comment saying so!
Zelinda
Favorite Book: The Swallow
Currently Reading: Of Illusions and Inkwells
Bookshelf Size: 689
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-zelinda.html
Latest Review: The Girl Who Knew da Vinci by Belle Ami
Reading Device: B00JG8GOWU

Post by Zelinda »

What do crime novels and big boobs have in common? Nothing, so why do so many detective novels have both? Anyway, that gave me a laugh. I liked your review and I'm grateful that you cued us in to its slow pace, so I can bypass reading this one. Too many books out there to read, so weeding some out is essential.
“In books I have traveled, not only to other worlds, but into my own.”
― Anna Quindlen, How Reading Changed My Life
kandscreeley
Special Discussion Leader
Currently Reading: The Door Within
Bookshelf Size: 487
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kandscreeley.html
Latest Review: The Elf Revelation by Jordan David

Post by kandscreeley »

It's too bad it was so slow. I find the addition of the songs quite intriguing, though. I'll have to think about this one some more. I enjoyed your review, though.
A book is a dream you hold in your hands.
—Neil Gaiman
Snowflake
Currently Reading: Adrift
Bookshelf Size: 288
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-snowflake.html
Latest Review: Don't Think Twice by Barbara Schoichet

Post by Snowflake »

Zelinda wrote:What do crime novels and big boobs have in common? Nothing, so why do so many detective novels have both?
Lol - I'm with you on that one!

Thanks Jemgirl202 for your review, I don't think I'll be looking any further at this one.
peace starts with a smile...
Elle Howard
Currently Reading: If life stinks get your head outta your buts
Bookshelf Size: 50
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-elle-howard.html
Latest Review: And Then I Met Margaret by Rob White
Reading Device: 1400698987

Post by Elle Howard »

Your review was very well done and informative. I am not sure this is the book for me. The idea behind this novel sounds really interesting . I just wonder if the slow pacing would make me lose interest in reading it.
Any book that helps a child to form a habit of reading, to make reading one of his deep and continuing needs, is good for him.
–Maya Angelou
MrsCatInTheHat
Favorite Book: Cry the Beloved Country
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 376
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-mrscatinthehat.html
Latest Review: Marc Marci by Larry G. Goldsmith
Reading Device: B00JG8GOWU
Publishing Contest Votes: 0

Post by MrsCatInTheHat »

I like the overall plot of this book. It's okay to not like the main character ;) I'm thinking that this one is going onto my want to read list.
Life without a good book is something MrsCatInTheHat cannot imagine.
jemgirl202

Post by jemgirl202 »

Zelinda wrote:What do crime novels and big boobs have in common? Nothing, so why do so many detective novels have both? Anyway, that gave me a laugh. I liked your review and I'm grateful that you cued us in to its slow pace, so I can bypass reading this one. Too many books out there to read, so weeding some out is essential.
Yeah, if it were once or twice I would have ignored it but it was mentioned every time a female entered the room!

-- 29 Sep 2017, 08:51 --
kandscreeley wrote:It's too bad it was so slow. I find the addition of the songs quite intriguing, though. I'll have to think about this one some more. I enjoyed your review, though.[/q

Thank you! Yes, if it just developed quicker it would have made for a more intriguing crime novel.

-- 04 Oct 2017, 08:52 --

Thanks for all the kind words!
Mtsweni Nelsy
Currently Reading: Strong Heart
Bookshelf Size: 28
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-mtsweni-nelsy.html
Latest Review: Reconfigurement by E. Alan Fleischauer

Post by Mtsweni Nelsy »

Crime and suspense novels are a part of novel genre I am inclined to...I am just unsure if SLOW ones are too!

Thanks for the review!
Doaa Wael
Bookshelf Size: 23
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-doaa-wael.html
Latest Review: "My Trip To Adele" by R.I.Alyaseer and A. I Alyaseer

Post by Doaa Wael »

Very nice review. I will check out this book because of your review :) Thank you!
Imagination Trumps Reality.
Latest Review: "My Trip To Adele" by R.I.Alyaseer and A. I Alyaseer
jemgirl202

Post by jemgirl202 »

Elle Howard wrote:Your review was very well done and informative. I am not sure this is the book for me. The idea behind this novel sounds really interesting . I just wonder if the slow pacing would make me lose interest in reading it.
Honestly it picks up in the end. The crime aspect was wonderful. The first 100 pages or so were just so slow.
kimmyschemy06
Currently Reading: The Searching Three
Bookshelf Size: 694
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kimmyschemy06.html
Latest Review: Kazi Boku by M. Poyhonen

Post by kimmyschemy06 »

The premise sounds very promising. I may be able to handle the slow pacing but the character seems kind of perverted :) and I'm so not into that :) Good job on the review.
Ashiyya Tariq
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 235
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-ashiyya-tariq.html
Latest Review: Deadly Waters: The Vietnam Naval War And Its Aftermath by Randy Miller
Reading Device: PDF

Post by Ashiyya Tariq »

Though I am not much interested in crime fiction. But that's good you enjoyed the review. A good critical review. Feel free to check my reviews.
Make your ideals high enough to inspire you and low enough to encourage you.

📕📖📰📓📕

Return to “Crime, Thrillers, Mystery and Horror Books”