Forum Navigation: Forum Index » Books and Reading » Reviews and Discussions about Specific Books and Series » Crime, Thrillers, Mystery and Horror Books

Want FREE books and FREE Amazon gift cards?

Each day we announce via email a book that is either FREE or on a temporary sale at a great discount price. These are not your average free books. These are incredible insider deals on well-rated books. OnlineBookClub.org is where tomorrow's bestsellers are born. We also give away over $1,000 per month of free Amazon gift cards in free daily giveaways, exclusively to those signed up to these announcements! Hurry, sign up free now:

Sorry, this proves you are human.

Official Review: The Man With Evil Eyes

Please use this sub-forum to discuss any crime, thriller, mystery or horror books or series.

Official Review: The Man With Evil Eyes

Post Number:#1 by jemgirl202
» 26 Sep 2017, 11:26

[Following is an official OnlineBookClub.org review of "The Man With Evil Eyes" by Robert Cawley and Rena Winters.]

Book Cover
3 out of 4 stars
Review by jemgirl202
Share This Review

How could someone be truly evil? Homicide reporter, Gene Mclain asks himself that same question in The Man With The Evil Eyes written by Robert Cawley. It's the year 1950 and two cars salesmen have gone missing. The police don't suspect any mischief and write the case off as just two guys who are partying in Mexico.

However, Gene Mclain has a gut instinct that there is something else going on with this case. When a car from the dealership that these men worked for is found abandoned, Mclain knows they are looking at a double homicide. Determined to search out the truth, Mclain investigates where the police will not go. Over and over again, Mclain's investigations lead to nothing until the two bodies are discovered. Mclain knows he has a duty to report the truth and wants to get to the bottom of this horrific murder. He discovers the murderer but is not prepared for the motive behind the murder.

I picked this book because I enjoy a good crime and suspense novel. One thing about most crime novels is that there seems to always be a determined individual who will not cease until the case or problem is solved. That is so true about this novel. Gene Mclain is an award winning homicide reporter who will stop at nothing to solve this case. He goes off of pure instinct or intuition. However, what can be called determination comes off as cocky and egotistical. He puts reporting above everything including his family. I had hoped that his character would have more development but he continued to risk his family's well-being to expose the truth. This may seem admirable but I actually despised his character. He also came off creepy. He called his wife, "his little girl" several times. Whenever there was a woman in the room there was always a mention of her breasts, her hips or how her body looked. These descriptions were over-the-top.

There were a couple things I did enjoy about this book. Every scene is very detailed and the author includes the music that is playing. There are at least 25 songs that are used to describe different scenes throughout the book. This added a very unique touch. I also enjoyed the motive and personality of the killer. The author did a great job making him truly evil.

My biggest problem with this novel was the pacing. It was extremely slow. A good portion of the book goes into detail about Mclain going into different clubs and restaurants, asking the same question and getting the same answer. I love that the author is detailed but there needed to be a way to pace these scenes a little better. If you are a little sensitive to graphic violence then this will not be the book for you. There are a few graphic descriptions of the murder. This is a book for those enjoy crime and suspense novels. I rate this book 3 out of 4 stars since this book looked to be well-edited but I could not give it a perfect score due to the pacing and lack of development with the main character.

The Man With Evil Eyes
View: on Bookshelves

Like jemgirl202's review? Post a comment saying so!
jemgirl202

Currently Reading: Happily Ever After
Bookshelf Size: 39 books

View Reviewer Page
2017 Reading Goal: 10 Books
Goal Completion: 100%

Did you know?

Once you join the forums and log in you will get to enjoy a very ad-reduced experience. It's easy and completely free!

Re: Official Review: The Man With Evil Eyes

Post Number:#2 by Zelinda
» 27 Sep 2017, 17:15

What do crime novels and big boobs have in common? Nothing, so why do so many detective novels have both? Anyway, that gave me a laugh. I liked your review and I'm grateful that you cued us in to its slow pace, so I can bypass reading this one. Too many books out there to read, so weeding some out is essential.
“In books I have traveled, not only to other worlds, but into my own.”
― Anna Quindlen, How Reading Changed My Life
Zelinda's Latest Review: "The Expansion" by Christoph Martin
Zelinda

Favorite Book: The Swallow
Currently Reading: The Last Dragon Slayer
Bookshelf Size: 665 books

View Reviewer Page
Reading Device: Kindle Paperwhite
2017 Reading Goal: 100 Books
Goal Completion: 86%

Post Number:#3 by kandscreeley
» 27 Sep 2017, 17:30

It's too bad it was so slow. I find the addition of the songs quite intriguing, though. I'll have to think about this one some more. I enjoyed your review, though.
“There is no friend as loyal as a book.”
― Ernest Hemingway
kandscreeley's Latest Review: "The Crying Tree Diary" by Lorah Green
kandscreeley
Special Discussion Leader

Currently Reading: Strong Heart
Bookshelf Size: 105 books

View Reviewer Page

Post Number:#4 by Snowflake
» 27 Sep 2017, 17:42

Zelinda wrote:What do crime novels and big boobs have in common? Nothing, so why do so many detective novels have both?

Lol - I'm with you on that one!

Thanks Jemgirl202 for your review, I don't think I'll be looking any further at this one.
peace starts with a smile...
Snowflake

Currently Reading: Two Dogs and a Blonde
Bookshelf Size: 235 books

View Reviewer Page
Goal Completion: 6%

Post Number:#5 by Elle Howard
» 27 Sep 2017, 19:05

Your review was very well done and informative. I am not sure this is the book for me. The idea behind this novel sounds really interesting . I just wonder if the slow pacing would make me lose interest in reading it.
Any book that helps a child to form a habit of reading, to make reading one of his deep and continuing needs, is good for him.
–Maya Angelou
Elle Howard's Latest Review: "Escape" by Belle Ami
Elle Howard

Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 37 books

View Reviewer Page
Reading Device: Nook HD 7 Tablet
Goal Completion: 70%

Post Number:#6 by CatInTheHat
» 27 Sep 2017, 20:38

I like the overall plot of this book. It's okay to not like the main character ;) I'm thinking that this one is going onto my want to read list.
Life without a good book is something the CatInTheHat cannot imagine.

Grateful to get the opportunity to explore new books with those in the OBC.
CatInTheHat's Latest Review: "The Spirit of Want" by William H. Coles
CatInTheHat
Previous Member of the Month

Currently Reading: The Surgeon's Wife
Bookshelf Size: 413 books

View Reviewer Page
2017 Reading Goal: 52 Books

Post Number:#7 by jemgirl202
» 28 Sep 2017, 11:03

Zelinda wrote:What do crime novels and big boobs have in common? Nothing, so why do so many detective novels have both? Anyway, that gave me a laugh. I liked your review and I'm grateful that you cued us in to its slow pace, so I can bypass reading this one. Too many books out there to read, so weeding some out is essential.

Yeah, if it were once or twice I would have ignored it but it was mentioned every time a female entered the room!

-- 29 Sep 2017, 08:51 --

[quote="kandscreeley"]It's too bad it was so slow. I find the addition of the songs quite intriguing, though. I'll have to think about this one some more. I enjoyed your review, though.[/q

Thank you! Yes, if it just developed quicker it would have made for a more intriguing crime novel.

-- 04 Oct 2017, 08:52 --

Thanks for all the kind words!
jemgirl202

View Reviewer Page

Post Number:#8 by Mtsweni Nelsy
» 08 Oct 2017, 13:15

Crime and suspense novels are a part of novel genre I am inclined to...I am just unsure if SLOW ones are too!

Thanks for the review!
Mtsweni Nelsy

Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 18 books

View Reviewer Page
2017 Reading Goal: 24 Books
Goal Completion: 8%

Post Number:#9 by Doaa Wael
» 08 Oct 2017, 14:55

Very nice review. I will check out this book because of your review :) Thank you!
Imagination Trumps Reality.
Doaa Wael

Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 21 books

View Reviewer Page
Goal Completion: 0%

Post Number:#10 by jemgirl202
» 09 Oct 2017, 11:35

Elle Howard wrote:Your review was very well done and informative. I am not sure this is the book for me. The idea behind this novel sounds really interesting . I just wonder if the slow pacing would make me lose interest in reading it.

Honestly it picks up in the end. The crime aspect was wonderful. The first 100 pages or so were just so slow.
jemgirl202

View Reviewer Page

Post Number:#11 by kimmyschemy06
» 12 Oct 2017, 02:14

The premise sounds very promising. I may be able to handle the slow pacing but the character seems kind of perverted :) and I'm so not into that :) Good job on the review.
kimmyschemy06

Currently Reading: A Burning in the Darkness
Bookshelf Size: 346 books

View Reviewer Page
2017 Reading Goal: 50 Books
Goal Completion: 104%