Review of Gnats, Humidity and Murder

Please use this sub-forum to discuss any crime, thriller, mystery or horror books or series.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
Abraham Ozo
Book of the Month Participant
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 139
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-abraham-ozo.html
Latest Review: From Drift to SHIFT by Jody B. Miller

Review of Gnats, Humidity and Murder

Post by Abraham Ozo »

[Following is an official OnlineBookClub.org review of "Gnats, Humidity and Murder" by Everette Hall.]
Book Cover
4 out of 5 stars
Share This Review

After their marriage, Jack and Ruby moved to Pear Valley, leaving behind Atlanta, where Ruby's parents, the Cartwrights, could easily get a job for Jack with their connections. However, Jack desires to work for his success, and Pear Valley seemed like the perfect place to kick off his legal career under Mr. Frank Truitt's guidance.

Pear Valley, a small and quiet town in Callahan County with its fair share of gnats, eccentrics, and gossips, rarely witnessed exciting events until Mr. Bill Allgood, a man hated by all, was murdered. Gnats, Humidity and Murder by Everette Hall tells an intriguing crime fiction story where everyone is a suspect. Who killed Bill Allgood? And can Jack prove the innocence of his first client, who is a suspect in the case?

One sure thing about every crime or murder mystery is that it will always come with intrigue, anticipation, and suspense. This book did not deliver any less. The book opens with the murder of Bill Allgood at his residence. The scene fades away like nothing exciting has occurred, and readers are taken to the next scene, a romantic scene between Ruby and Jack. Readers are kept in suspense until chapter 4 when the author starts the murder story in earnest. Throughout the book, Everette includes random stories and gossip about the town that dissipate rising tension, distract from the serious theme of the book, and provide comic relief to readers. My favorite tale is the reason behind the town's name, Pear Valley. The author also revealed the necessary details for advancing the plot through these stories. Most clues for identifying the murderer were hidden in random stories told by different characters in the book.

The book had some grammatical errors, but overall, it was professionally edited. I loved that the plot was not straightforward. The mystery behind the murder was a bit complex, entangling other criminal cases, and I enjoyed every second of trying to connect the dots. The negative aspect I noted in the book was that the author needed to be more consistent in the names of the characters. Sometimes he would refer to Mr. Truitt as Frank or Jerry as Roberts. This would occasionally confuse me and delay my reading while I tried to trace the names.

Also, the climax of the story was a bit underwhelming for me. I enjoyed the build-up to the climax more than the climax of the story. Unconsciously, I was waiting for an unexpected twist at the end of the story, but it never came. However, I rate this book 4 out of 5 stars because of the negative aspects I observed. I recommend it to lovers of crime fiction, murder mysteries, thrillers, or suspense novels. 

Gnats, Humidity and Murder
View: on Bookshelves | on Amazon
Nwachukwu Somto
Book of the Month Participant
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 20
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-nwachukwu-somto.html
Latest Review: Embrace the Challenge by Akwasi O Ofori

Post by Nwachukwu Somto »

Your detailed summary of the plot and setting provides a great introduction to the story, highlighting the small-town atmosphere of Pear Valley and the intriguing murder mystery at its heart. Your appreciation for the book's suspenseful and intricate plot is clear.
Julius Peters
In It Together VIP
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 17
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-julius-peters.html
Latest Review: Quando Dormo by Edward Izzi

Post by Julius Peters »

Many readers will appreciate the clever integration of town gossip and random stories, providing both entertainment and essential clues to unraveling the murder mystery.
NetMassimo
Previous Member of the Month
Currently Reading: Fantastic Voyage II
Bookshelf Size: 441
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-netmassimo.html
Latest Review: The Writing for the Vialins by Anna Yusuf
2024 Reading Goal: 60
2024 Goal Completion: 56%

Post by NetMassimo »

Inconsistency in using the characters' names can be confusing and therefore annoying. Otherwise, this seems like a well-constructed thriller with some moments of comic relief. Thank you for your great review!
Ciao :)
Massimo

Return to “Crime, Thrillers, Mystery and Horror Books”