Review of Vengeance For A Fallen Angel

Please use this sub-forum to discuss any crime, thriller, mystery or horror books or series.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
Pranav Dewangan
Book of the Month Participant
Currently Reading: The Science of Storytelling
Bookshelf Size: 75
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-pranav-dewangan.html
Latest Review: The Work of My Mother's Hands: A Caregiver's Journey by Dr. Kiplee Bell

Review of Vengeance For A Fallen Angel

Post by Pranav Dewangan »

[Following is an official OnlineBookClub.org review of "Vengeance For A Fallen Angel" by Christophe Medler.]
Book Cover
5 out of 5 stars
Share This Review

Detective Rick McCarthy woke up from his slumber to a phone call in the morning. He is notified about a female dead body discovered on the beach, with a high probability of murder. She was severely injured and raped as well. While the detectives try to dig deeper, they suspect that a local voodoo cauldron is involved. Everyone at the headquarters realizes that this is no ordinary case. When the details about the murder of the girl get leaked by the press, it causes havoc in both the public and the CID headquarters. The chief pressures Detective McCarthy to find the lead suspect soon and solve this case or else get demoted. While the CID team tries to close down on suspects, more bodies start falling. Now there are more questions than answers. Is there a serial killer on the loose? Are these murders linked or not? What's the secret that is worth more than the lives of people? Read this engrossing crime mystery novel, Vengeance For A Fallen Angel by Christophe Medler, to find out.

I liked several things about this book. First and foremost, I enjoyed the world that the author created in the 1960s. I loved the book's use of small chapters. The book does not introduce the lead to a new love interest, as he already has one. It helped to keep the primary focus on solving the case. As we neared the end of the case, the mystery became increasingly compelling. The final reveal of the killer was unexpected and surprising. The supernatural elements and the world of Voodoo worshipping and occult make this book more interesting to read. The editing of the book is also done well, with some minor errors I have noted.

There is one thing I did not like about the book. Sometimes I think the book fails to build tension. If the detective solving the case had some sort of personal stake or if the resolution led to his significant character development, it would have been better, I felt.

Considering all the points I have discussed, I believe this book deserves 5 out of 5 stars. The drawback I discussed does not make this a less worthwhile read. I recommend this book to fans of the crime mystery genre, which includes the majority of fiction readers, to be honest.

Vengeance For A Fallen Angel
View: on Bookshelves | on Amazon
Sleek Pace
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 13
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-sleek-pace.html
Latest Review: The Unbound Soul by Richard L. Haight

Post by Sleek Pace »

Hey y'all! Just read this review for "Vengeance For A Fallen Angel" and it seems like a pretty gripping crime mystery set in the 1960s. With a mix of murder, voodoo, and the supernatural, it'll definitely keep you hooked till the end. The book's small chapters and lack of distracting love interests make it focused on the case, which is a plus. Just be aware that the tension might not be built up as much as some readers would prefer. Overall, the reviewer gives it a solid 5 out of 5 stars, so I reckon it's worth giving it a read if you're into crime mysteries. Happy reading, y'all! Compelling narrative, drew me in from the start.
Nwachukwu Somto
Book of the Month Participant
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 20
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-nwachukwu-somto.html
Latest Review: Embrace the Challenge by Akwasi O Ofori

Post by Nwachukwu Somto »

I appreciate your feedback about potentially building more tension by adding personal stakes or character development for the detective. Despite this, the well-done editing and intriguing storyline make this crime mystery novel worth a read for anyone seeking an engrossing thriller.
Charmaine Mahlangu
Favorite Book: Defining a free man from a black stream
Currently Reading: Save the Last Bullet for God
Bookshelf Size: 95
2024 Reading Goal: 500
2024 Goal Completion: 18%

Post by Charmaine Mahlangu »

Exceptional ! This is an amazing review to such a point that I feel like I shouldn't have read it as its almost a spoiler alert. I'm going for this book and thanks to you. I love this genre it never disappoints and one thing about crime, thriller and mystery is its hardly a cliche. There's always a rollercoaster of emotions and I love it. Great job
Be yourself and nothing less
Julius Peters
In It Together VIP
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 17
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-julius-peters.html
Latest Review: Quando Dormo by Edward Izzi

Post by Julius Peters »

Medler's attention to detail in creating the 1960s setting and his ability to craft an unexpected and surprising final reveal make this crime mystery a standout read.
Chi Chiu Michael Mak
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 14
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-chi-chiu-michael-mak.html
Latest Review: The Employee Millionaire by H. J. Chammas

Post by Chi Chiu Michael Mak »

It gets 5 stars despite the lack of tension? Hrm... and it doesn't seem like the main character transforms by the end of the story. But if you're into voodoo-worshipping horror stuff, the book can be worth your time.
I write the best reviews possible. :idea2:
NetMassimo
Previous Member of the Month
Currently Reading: Fantastic Voyage II
Bookshelf Size: 441
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-netmassimo.html
Latest Review: The Writing for the Vialins by Anna Yusuf
2024 Reading Goal: 60
2024 Goal Completion: 56%

Post by NetMassimo »

A really brutal murder starts this mystery that includes a voodoo element is a headache for Detective McCarthy, whose neck is on the line. Despite the lack of tension-building, this seems like a well-constructed novel. Thank you for your great review!
Ciao :)
Massimo

Return to “Crime, Thrillers, Mystery and Horror Books”