Official Review: Srepska by Lucas Sterling

Please use this sub-forum to discuss any crime, thriller, mystery or horror books or series.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
Bluecobia
Currently Reading: Game of Thrones
Bookshelf Size: 55
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-bluecobia.html
Latest Review: The miner by F.Robert

Official Review: Srepska by Lucas Sterling

Post by Bluecobia »

[Following is an official OnlineBookClub.org review of "Srepska" by Lucas Sterling.]
Book Cover
4 out of 4 stars
Share This Review

Serpska by Lucas Sterling is 257 pages of international spy/crime thriller. It starts out in Kenya with all the cell phones being attacked and rendered useless. Since in Kenya 40% of their daily transactions are paid for over cell phones this causes problems. Regular people cannot buy groceries and gas. Rioting soon breaks out. In the midst of this cyber attack, Serpska, a criminal organization, uses the chaos to cover up the fact that they are stealing money from thousands of bank accounts.

Governments all over the world start to investigate these events. The German intelligence agency picks up on Internet chatter that indicates that the cyber hackers may be in Budapest. Fredric Ulrich is assigned to go to Hungary to look for leads. With the help local agents he soon taps into and records encrypted phone conversations relative to the crime and future activities. By this time, members of Serpska are aware of his snooping and are out to kill him and retrieve the data. Thus starts the race to stop an even bigger crime.

This story could be right out of today’s headlines. Cyber criminals break into credit card or other institution’s computers to steal money or data. The basis for the story is a lot like Equifax being hacked recently. This Equifax attack has put data on 140 million Americans in jeopardy. Hopefully there are real people like Fredric and the others in this book that will track down the criminals causing these problems.

The characters in this book are believable and well developed. You can follow the logic and see how they could realistically find and follow the clues as the book progresses. This story has good guys and bad guys and some that are caught in the middle. It has chase scenes, fights, and good detective work. The continuous action and adventure make it a thriller you will enjoy from beginning to end.

I give Serpska by Lucas Sterling a definite four out of four stars. It is international in scope and relevant to things happening in the world today. The action is fast paced so that it keeps you wanting to see what comes next. There are fights and shootouts at times, but it is not all blood, guts, and gore like many books. There aren’t any nude or sex scenes that are prevalent in many other action thrillers.

I like that the book is based on good spying and detective work. I would recommend Serpska by Lucas Sterling to anyone wanting a good action thriller. It kept me interested and involved throughout the book.

I did find a few editorial errors while reading but not enough to detract from the reading or to make me want to drop my rating to three stars. They were minor and I might not have noticed them if I had not been watching for them.

Srepska
View: on Bookshelves

Like Bluecobia's review? Post a comment saying so!
Kelebogile Mbangi
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 123
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kelebogile-mbangi.html
Latest Review: At Day's End, I'll Always Be Me by Jerry A. Greenberg

Post by Kelebogile Mbangi »

I like that the book is based on spying and detective work, without the explicit scenes. Its been a while since I read a good thriller. Thank you for your review. :)
"And will you succeed?
Yes! You will, indeed!
(98 and 3/4 percent guaranteed.)
KID, YOU'LL MOVE MOUNTAINS!" - Dr. Seuss
Emie Cuevas
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 107
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-emie-cuevas.html
Latest Review: Trumpism: A Cultural Psycho-Genesis by Michel Valentin
Reading Device: B00JG8GOWU

Post by Emie Cuevas »

I like this book, not just because it's action but because it reflects what is happening in our world today. A lot of bad people are doing bad things to survive poverty, but of course there are people out there who are willing to serve and protect their country from terrorism. Thanks for the great review.
Whether you Think you can,
or you Think you can't,
You are Right

Napoleon Hill
kandscreeley
Special Discussion Leader
Currently Reading: The Door Within
Bookshelf Size: 487
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kandscreeley.html
Latest Review: The Elf Revelation by Jordan David

Post by kandscreeley »

It definitely does sound like quite a believable story. I would expect this might happen sometime soon. Scary to think about. Thanks for the review.
A book is a dream you hold in your hands.
—Neil Gaiman
kislany
Previous Member of the Month
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 527
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kislany.html
Latest Review: Golden Skies by Juan Zapata

Post by kislany »

What a captivating story this must be! I'm using my smartphone pretty much everywhere, so I can't imagine it being rendered useless at any given time. Great review!
Manang Muyang
Previous Member of the Month
Favorite Book:
Currently Reading: Donny and Mary Grace's California Adventures
Bookshelf Size: 686
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-manang-muyang.html
Latest Review: Your Great Name by Shawn Funk
Reading Device: B00KC6I06S

Post by Manang Muyang »

kandscreeley wrote:It definitely does sound like quite a believable story. I would expect this might happen sometime soon. Scary to think about. Thanks for the review.
You are scaring me, Kandscreely! But our times are going from bad to worse. I wish everybody can just be content and help each other. Then this world will no longer be called earth but heaven. Wishful thinking!

Thanks, Bluecobia, for your engaging review!
Bluecobia

Post by Bluecobia »

Yes, the possibility of this type of mass disruption of our electronics and therefore our lives is scary.
Elle Howard
Currently Reading: If life stinks get your head outta your buts
Bookshelf Size: 50
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-elle-howard.html
Latest Review: And Then I Met Margaret by Rob White
Reading Device: 1400698987

Post by Elle Howard »

This is definitely my kind of novel! There is a lot of suspense, action and the premise is something believable that I can relate to. Thanks for the great review. Definitely adding this one to my bookshelf.
Any book that helps a child to form a habit of reading, to make reading one of his deep and continuing needs, is good for him.
–Maya Angelou
Bluecobia

Post by Bluecobia »

Thank you for your comments. I really enjoyed the book. I am glad you liked the review. I definitely encourage you to read it.
Zelinda
Favorite Book: The Swallow
Currently Reading: Of Illusions and Inkwells
Bookshelf Size: 689
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-zelinda.html
Latest Review: The Girl Who Knew da Vinci by Belle Ami

Post by Zelinda »

The last really good book I read about cybercrime was The Cuckoo's Egg. It was non-fiction, not my favorite genre, but quite interesting. So I think I will like this one - fiction/crime/thriller being my favorite genre and cybercrime one of my interests. Thanks for a thorough and interesting review.

-- 23 Sep 2017, 01:18 --

The last really good book I read about cybercrime was The Cuckoo's Egg. It was non-fiction, not my favorite genre, but quite interesting. So I think I will like this one - fiction/crime/thriller being my favorite genre and cybercrime one of my interests. Thanks for a thorough and interesting review.
“In books I have traveled, not only to other worlds, but into my own.”
― Anna Quindlen, How Reading Changed My Life
Bluecobia

Post by Bluecobia »

Glad to do the review . The book was interesting and I think you will enjoy it. The Cuckoo's Egg, an interesting title.

-- 23 Sep 2017, 11:22 --

Glad to do the review . The book was interesting and I think you will enjoy it. The Cuckoo's Egg, that sounds like an interesting title.
Star88
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 23
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-star88.html
Latest Review: And Then I Met Margaret by Rob White

Post by Star88 »

I agree. This book seems very realistic and relevant to today. I have been looking for a thriller to read. Thank you for the great review!
Bluecobia

Post by Bluecobia »

Glad to have the chance to recommend this book to you.
Kat Berg
Favorite Book: <a href="http://forums.onlinebookclub.org/shelve ... 5">Raven's Peak</a>
Currently Reading: James Baldwin
Bookshelf Size: 223
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kat-berg.html
Latest Review: Why Am I Here by Melvin Bell

Post by Kat Berg »

This is a fascinating premise. I am kind of picky about my spy thrillers, and you are right, many of them contain much sex, gore, etc. I am looking forward to trying this one out. Thanks for the great review.
Shahina Hussain
Currently Reading: For the Love of Suzanne
Bookshelf Size: 13

Post by Shahina Hussain »

Great review

Return to “Crime, Thrillers, Mystery and Horror Books”