Official Review: Dark Ending by C.L. Brees

Please use this sub-forum to discuss any crime, thriller, mystery or horror books or series.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
juliusotinyo
Bookshelf Size: 49
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-juliusotinyo.html
Latest Review: Marrying a Playboy Billionaire by H M Irwing

Official Review: Dark Ending by C.L. Brees

Post by juliusotinyo »

[Following is an official OnlineBookClub.org review of "Dark Ending" by C.L. Brees.]
Book Cover
3 out of 4 stars
Share This Review

Dark Ending is a C/T/M/H novel by C.L. Brees. It is the second book in the Alex Jones series, the first being Unsettled Past (2016). My complimentary copy had 452 pages in PDF format.

Alex Jones is the lead investigator in a series of homicides in Prospect Park, Brooklyn. The book begins with the third murder in a month. The connections between the victim and Jones’s fiancé (also a cop) brings immediate tension between them. They appear to have been very close. Enough for his fiancé to skip procedure in handling potential evidence. Detective Jones is still reeling from a shared harrowing experience with his fiancé at the hands of kidnappers seven years ago. The experience comes to haunt him in his present engagements.

The usual pattern of the murders with increased messages directed at him by the assailant, lead detective Jones to make the connection between these events and an old foe. Does the serial killer know him? Are these murders connected to him somehow? Things become even more complicated when the lead and only suspect ends up dead. Time is running out, new suspects are needed as a new ultimatum is leveled at the young policeman with threats to kill those close to him. Join Detective Jones in his pursuit of justice and personal restitution.

This just happens to be my first reading in this genre. I prefer watching from this genre, but after the cancellation of CSI-Miami in 2012, I've been on the lookout for a replacement. I had high expectations when I saw that the author had a degree in Forensic Science.

The paragraphs are short and easy to read. At 400+ pages I was still able to clear the book in two days. The book had an engaging pace – quite hard to put down once you get started. However, there were a few errors. I counted about four in total and spread far between. Definitely not enough to interfere with the reading experience and hard to notice.

The Dark Ending is told through Detective Jones’s perspective. He tries to balance his demanding professional and social life. A dark past threatens to ruin his current life, but he finds an anchor in his present relationships with his friends and colleagues. My favorite character was his older partner, Detective Carr. He comes out as sometimes brash (but caring) reminding me of my own best friend – reliable but ready to tell you as it is.

I rate this book 3 out of 4 stars. I would not say it replaces Jerry Bruckheimer's works just yet. I did not like how a lot was revealed in the final three chapters – although, this is common in this genre, I feel the ending was rushed as a consequence. I suppose this might have been done to pick up the pace/hype for the next book in the series.

I would recommend this book to fans of thriller novels. However, I must caution sensitive readers on the subject matter of homosexuality in this book. I have no reservations with what constitutes love for many people (what does it have to do with me anyway?), but due to my personal preferences, I skipped all of these scenes. Given my rating, they were not enough to discourage my interest in the story.

Dark Ending
View: on Bookshelves | on Amazon | on iTunes

Like juliusotinyo's review? Post a comment saying so!
Alicnim
Bookshelf Size: 18
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-alicnim.html
Latest Review: "Ever After" by H M Irwing

Post by Alicnim »

these scenes
? Hahaha, what's that about fandom :shifty:
juliusotinyo

Post by juliusotinyo »

Alicnim wrote:
these scenes
? Hah! You are welcome to read. I am not giving that away fandom! :shhh:
Darakhshan Nazir
Bookshelf Size: 21
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-darakhshan-nazir.html
Latest Review: "Twisted Threads" by Kaylin McFarren

Post by Darakhshan Nazir »

I loved books full of mystery and killings .
Great review as always
Do Read And Comment On My Latest Review!!
Latest Review: "Twisted Threads" by Kaylin McFarren
juliusotinyo

Post by juliusotinyo »

Darakhshan Nazir wrote:I loved books full of mystery and killings .
Great review as always
:tiphat: always a pleasure. I appreciate your time.
kandscreeley
Special Discussion Leader
Currently Reading: The Door Within
Bookshelf Size: 487
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kandscreeley.html
Latest Review: The Elf Revelation by Jordan David

Post by kandscreeley »

I was a fan of CSI Miami as well. Thanks for the review of this book. It sounds like it's pretty good.
A book is a dream you hold in your hands.
—Neil Gaiman
juliusotinyo

Post by juliusotinyo »

kandscreeley wrote:I was a fan of CSI Miami as well. Thanks for the review of this book. It sounds like it's pretty good.
So sad they cancelled it. I've never been into the other CSI's. Must've been Caruso's aloof demeanour. Thanks for sharing.
Christina Rose
Previous Member of the Month
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 135
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-christina-rose.html
Latest Review: The Last Leaf to Fall by Amy M. Watson
Reading Device: B00IKPYKWG

Post by Christina Rose »

This sounds interesting. I can understand your preference to watching this particular genre, rather than reading it. There is definitely something to seeing it on the screen with all available dramatizations and such. I do enjoying reading it as well, though, and may have to check out this one. Thank you for your review.
juliusotinyo

Post by juliusotinyo »

Thanks Christina, you are welcome to try.
Alicnim

Post by Alicnim »

juliusotinyo wrote:
Alicnim wrote:
these scenes
Might have a review out soon, then I'll also brag. Anyway nice review but not my kinda tale. I've never been into crime dramas.
juliusotinyo

Post by juliusotinyo »

Alicnim wrote:
juliusotinyo wrote:
Alicnim wrote:? Hahaha, what's that about fandom :shifty:
Might have a review out soon, then I'll also brag. Anyway nice review but not my kinda tale. I've never been into crime dramas.
Crime dramas ain't that bad. OK, most of them are, but let's just ignore those but you must've liked CSI Miami?
Alicnim

Post by Alicnim »

I've never watched it :) I preferred Vampire Diaries at the time. What's the thrill with them anyway?
The Researcher
Currently Reading: Buried Threads
Bookshelf Size: 101
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-the-researcher.html
Latest Review: "Curve Couture" by H M Irwing
Reading Device: B00I15SB16

Post by The Researcher »

Nice review but I think this one is not for me. Thanks for the good review though.
What is the most special thing I did today- I was MYSELF. Happy and in love and unapologetically myself.
Latest Review: "Curve Couture" by H M Irwing
juliusotinyo

Post by juliusotinyo »

The Researcher wrote:Nice review but I think this one is not for me. Thanks for the good review though.
I know of people who might find some of the content repulsive, but it was a great story for a first timer crime-reader. Thanks for stopping by.
bsena
Bookshelf Size: 2

Post by bsena »

This review is well detialed giving you an indepth of the whole story while leaving you in suspicion to know more. I like to watch the detective and criminal series, i only hope that the crime sences in the book have been artistically described to give that thrill as you watch CSI.

Return to “Crime, Thrillers, Mystery and Horror Books”