Official Review: The Accidental Spy by Anthony James

Please use this sub-forum to discuss any crime, thriller, mystery or horror books or series.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
CaitlynLynch
Currently Reading: Conquering Writer's Block and Summoning Inspiration
Bookshelf Size: 3245
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-caitlynlynch.html
Latest Review: The Hand That Feeds You by Amos Cartell
Reading Device: B01AZ7LQ00

Official Review: The Accidental Spy by Anthony James

Post by CaitlynLynch »

[Following is an official OnlineBookClub.org review of "The Accidental Spy" by Anthony James.]
Book Cover
1 out of 4 stars
Share This Review

The Accidental Spy is the fictional autobiography of Nick Wargrave-Rogers, an archetypal trust fund brat. Born the son of a State Senator and the socialite daughter of a billionaire, the only thing lacking in his childhood was human affection. Blessed with a photographic memory, Nick coasts through law school and gets the opportunity to study for a postgraduate degree in London. Once graduated, he chooses to stay in England, far from his family’s influence, and make his own way.

Cohabiting with his girlfriend Anna, Nick lives on his income from his grandfather’s trust fund until his father procures him a job with the American Embassy, where Nick encounters the enigmatic Sami Hussein, a Middle Eastern ‘fixer’ living in London. Fascinated by Sami’s charisma, Nick is perfectly willing to go to work for Sami while reporting back to the State Department, who are very interested in the fixer’s deals and contacts. Suddenly caught up in fake passport deals for ‘persons of interest’, Nick has to use all his ingenuity to escape with his life.

The book is told mostly in first person from Nick’s point of view, with occasional chapters in the third person from other significant characters in the book, such as Sami Hussein and Becky, Nick’s CIA handler and later wife. Nick’s story is told as a stream of consciousness, the retelling of events interspersed with his opinions in an almost chatty style, inviting the reader to feel as though they are sitting down for a conversation with a friend.

The problem I had with this approach was that I thought Nick was absolutely despicable and the last person in the world I would want to be friends with. He considers every woman he encounters in the book on the criteria of how much he wants to have sex with them. He constantly attempts to touch Becky even after she’s given him clear warning that she only wants a professional relationship with him, and after finally winning her, promptly sets about trying to convince her to give up her career despite knowing how important it is to her. He is a physical coward and the only time in the book when he shows even a hint of moral outrage is when he is briefly kidnapped by Hamas.

In short, Nick Wargrave-Rogers is a sociopath who doesn’t care about anything except himself and his own desires.

Now, this is hardly the first book I’ve read with an unsympathetic protagonist. Bret Easton Ellis’ classic American Psycho springs to mind immediately, but that is a very different book in its searing satire and commentary on the consumerism of the 1980s. It is clear when reading American Psycho that the story is intended to be a horror. The audience is meant to be disgusted by Patrick Bateman’s narcissistic, sociopathic character and repulsed by his actions.

In contrast, The Accidental Spy paints Nick Wargrave-Rogers as the hero of his own narrative. Everything he wants falls into his lap and everyone else is either a means to an end or an obstacle to be overcome. Even Becky, whom he claims to love, is eventually nothing more than an inconvenience when she won’t accede to his demands for her to give up her career.

I don’t quite know what the point of this book was or who it is meant to appeal to. The story of a sociopathic trust-fund brat who gets everything he ever wanted without ever having to face the consequences of his actions is frankly disgusting, and it’s not even saved by a great writing style.

Indeed, the author is strongly in need of an editor; I knew that when on page 2 I encountered the phrase “I can still here my mother’s voice” and noted the author’s complete ignorance of the proper place to use a comma. Hear and here are mixed up many times in the story, and there are even more disastrous mistakes such as the mis-spelling of the country Libya as “Lybia” on multiple occasions. Perhaps the most egregious error of all is a reference to “the aborigines of New Zealand” which is racist and ignorant in ways I can’t even begin to express, but a two-minute search on Wikipedia would have explained.

That last error is the only reason why I finished the book instead of throwing it aside in disgust. I wanted to honestly be able to say that I had finished it so that I could properly review it. I do not believe in critiquing something with incomplete knowledge of that thing.

Having finished the book, however, I can with a clear conscience give it one out of four stars.

The Accidental Spy
View: on Bookshelves

Like CaitlynLynch's review? Post a comment saying so!
LINA M-EMBER AMA
Bookshelf Size: 36
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-lina-m-ember-ama.html
Latest Review: "Lemoncella Cocktail" by Rene Natan

Post by LINA M-EMBER AMA »

I would definitely not want to read a book that appeals to none at all. Thanks CaitlynLinch's for going through the trouble to spare me an annoying read.
Latest Review: "Lemoncella Cocktail" by Rene Natan
Currently Reading: Apollo's Raven
Bookshelf Size: 16
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-0719672189.html
Latest Review: "Heartaches" by H.M. Irwing

Post by 0719672189 »

I already love the book from your great review,it sounds very fascinating and is infused with a character whose a psychopath,definitely a great read.
Latest Review: "Heartaches" by H.M. Irwing
kandscreeley
Special Discussion Leader
Currently Reading: The Door Within
Bookshelf Size: 487
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kandscreeley.html
Latest Review: The Elf Revelation by Jordan David

Post by kandscreeley »

Wow! This definitely doesn't sound like an enjoyable book. I'm sorry that you had to read the whole thing. Thanks for getting through it to warn us not to read it.
A book is a dream you hold in your hands.
—Neil Gaiman
Isaac Obeng Ebu
Bookshelf Size: 79
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-isaac-obeng-ebu.html
Latest Review: "Who Told You That You Were Naked?" by William Combs

Post by Isaac Obeng Ebu »

I would love to know what happens to Nick at the end, does he change from his old ways or he continues with what he's used to. I don't like his character from the review but I would like know what happens to him. i would like to read the book because of his handler.
Latest Review: "Who Told You That You Were Naked?" by William Combs
Btowntheatregal
Currently Reading: Never Let Me Go
Bookshelf Size: 151
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-btowntheatregal.html
Latest Review: "Raven's Peak" by Lincoln Cole

Post by Btowntheatregal »

Wow, thank you for such a specific and thoughtful review. I don't think this one is one I will pick up anytime in the future!
Latest Review: "Raven's Peak" by Lincoln Cole
MarisaRose
Previous Member of the Month
Favorite Book: <a href="http://forums.onlinebookclub.org/shelve ... 665">Harry Potter and the Prisoner of Azkaban</a>
Currently Reading: The Family Upstairs
Bookshelf Size: 435
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-marisarose.html
Latest Review: The Magic Shard by eelonqa K harris
Reading Device: B00JG8GOWU

Post by MarisaRose »

Sorry this one was such a disappointment! I can imagine how frustrating it was about this narrator - definitely does not sound appealing or like it has any point.
Abayomi2060
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 14
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-abayomi2060.html
Latest Review: Twisted Threads by Kaylin McFarren

Post by Abayomi2060 »

Wow. I definitely don't want to be in your shoes. Thanks for saving me the trouble
CrescentMoon
Currently Reading: Superhighway
Bookshelf Size: 87
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-crescentmoon.html
Latest Review: "Letorian Descendants- Casey Blane Series (Book 1)" by Jodi Ann Fahey

Post by CrescentMoon »

That was a very honest and thorough review. I have read books with unsympathetic protagonists as well but usually those are meant to be unsympathetic and the audience is not supposed to root for them. However, this book definitely seems like that was not supposed to be the intended effect. I definitely won't be picking this one up. Thanks for the review!
Latest Review: "Letorian Descendants- Casey Blane Series (Book 1)" by Jodi Ann Fahey
CaitlynLynch
Currently Reading: Conquering Writer's Block and Summoning Inspiration
Bookshelf Size: 3245
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-caitlynlynch.html
Latest Review: The Hand That Feeds You by Amos Cartell
Reading Device: B01AZ7LQ00

Post by CaitlynLynch »

Isaac Obeng Ebu wrote:I would love to know what happens to Nick at the end, does he change from his old ways or he continues with what he's used to. I don't like his character from the review but I would like know what happens to him. i would like to read the book because of his handler.
He doesn't change his ways. He gets out of the CIA and uses the knowledge of international money transfers he gained while inside to set up a very shady enterprise making him millions of dollars. He's still a complete and unmitigated asshole and he never really has to face any consequences of his actions; he ends up rewarded for them.

Part of the reason I stuck with this book until the very end was that I really hoped to see him finally get his just desserts. I was very, very disappointed.

-- 13 Sep 2017, 07:07 --
CrescentMoon wrote:That was a very honest and thorough review. I have read books with unsympathetic protagonists as well but usually those are meant to be unsympathetic and the audience is not supposed to root for them. However, this book definitely seems like that was not supposed to be the intended effect. I definitely won't be picking this one up. Thanks for the review!
Sometimes the unsympathetic protagonist makes for an incredible book, especially if they turn out to be an unreliable narrator. I mentioned American Psycho because that was the best example I could think of with seriously unsympathetic protagonist, but really this doesn't deserve to be mentioned in the same breath. It's just terrible. It's badly written and the hoped-for twist at the end which might just have redeemed the narrative slightly never materialised.
KlareAllison
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 238
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-klareallison.html
Latest Review: "Health Tips, Myths, and Tricks" by Morton E. Tavel

Post by KlareAllison »

The protagonist of this book, Nick Wargrave-Rogers, appears like a character the reader will love to hate. However, the title of this book is appealing. Nice review!
"Sometimes I find myself sitting in one spot for hours, staring at nothing, feeling nothing, and most disturbingly, caring about nothing".

- Mahbod Seraji, Rooftops of Tehran
Latest Review: "Health Tips, Myths, and Tricks" by Morton E. Tavel
Elle Howard
Currently Reading: If life stinks get your head outta your buts
Bookshelf Size: 50
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-elle-howard.html
Latest Review: And Then I Met Margaret by Rob White
Reading Device: 1400698987

Post by Elle Howard »

Thanks for your honest, well written review. Sometimes the book just doesn't fit with the reader. This book does not appeal to me at all. Thank you for saving us a lot of frustration. I will pass on this one. :snooty:
Any book that helps a child to form a habit of reading, to make reading one of his deep and continuing needs, is good for him.
–Maya Angelou
MrsCatInTheHat
Favorite Book: Cry the Beloved Country
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 376
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-mrscatinthehat.html
Latest Review: Marc Marci by Larry G. Goldsmith
Reading Device: B00JG8GOWU
Publishing Contest Votes: 0

Post by MrsCatInTheHat »

This is why we read reviews. It keeps us from wasting time on poorly written books. Thank you for your brutal honesty on this one!
Life without a good book is something MrsCatInTheHat cannot imagine.
geoffrey ngoima
Bookshelf Size: 110
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-geoffrey-ngoima.html
Latest Review: "The Little Girl Inside Owning My Role in My Own Pain" by Tonya Barbee
Reading Device: B00UB76290

Post by geoffrey ngoima »

Waw, ..really thorough review, looks like the author has a lot to work on
To posit that the war brings us closer to faith is a sleight of hand that makes fools of us all. "There Are Only Atheists in Fox Holes"~ Michael Carson
Latest Review: "The Little Girl Inside Owning My Role in My Own Pain" by Tonya Barbee
charlesjr2
Bookshelf Size: 11
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-charlesjr2.html
Latest Review: "Escape" by Belle Ami

Post by charlesjr2 »

When you started out on the review, I was review enjoying it. But as you got critical, I realised that this book is not something I would like to read. Thanks for a great review.
Latest Review: "Escape" by Belle Ami

Return to “Crime, Thrillers, Mystery and Horror Books”