Forum Navigation: Forum Index » Books and Reading » Reviews and Discussions about Specific Books and Series » Crime, Thrillers, Mystery and Horror Books

Want FREE books and FREE Amazon gift cards?

Each day we announce via email a book that is either FREE or on a temporary sale at a great discount price. These are not your average free books. These are incredible insider deals on well-rated books. OnlineBookClub.org is where tomorrow's bestsellers are born. We also give away over $1,000 per month of free Amazon gift cards in free daily giveaways, exclusively to those signed up to these announcements! Hurry, sign up free now:

Sorry, this proves you are human.

Official Review: The Accidental Spy by Anthony James

Please use this sub-forum to discuss any crime, thriller, mystery or horror books or series.

Official Review: The Accidental Spy by Anthony James

Post Number:#1 by CaitlynLynch
» 11 Sep 2017, 04:11

[Following is an official OnlineBookClub.org review of "The Accidental Spy" by Anthony James.]

Book Cover
1 out of 4 stars
Review by CaitlynLynch
Share This Review

The Accidental Spy is the fictional autobiography of Nick Wargrave-Rogers, an archetypal trust fund brat. Born the son of a State Senator and the socialite daughter of a billionaire, the only thing lacking in his childhood was human affection. Blessed with a photographic memory, Nick coasts through law school and gets the opportunity to study for a postgraduate degree in London. Once graduated, he chooses to stay in England, far from his family’s influence, and make his own way.

Cohabiting with his girlfriend Anna, Nick lives on his income from his grandfather’s trust fund until his father procures him a job with the American Embassy, where Nick encounters the enigmatic Sami Hussein, a Middle Eastern ‘fixer’ living in London. Fascinated by Sami’s charisma, Nick is perfectly willing to go to work for Sami while reporting back to the State Department, who are very interested in the fixer’s deals and contacts. Suddenly caught up in fake passport deals for ‘persons of interest’, Nick has to use all his ingenuity to escape with his life.

The book is told mostly in first person from Nick’s point of view, with occasional chapters in the third person from other significant characters in the book, such as Sami Hussein and Becky, Nick’s CIA handler and later wife. Nick’s story is told as a stream of consciousness, the retelling of events interspersed with his opinions in an almost chatty style, inviting the reader to feel as though they are sitting down for a conversation with a friend.

The problem I had with this approach was that I thought Nick was absolutely despicable and the last person in the world I would want to be friends with. He considers every woman he encounters in the book on the criteria of how much he wants to have sex with them. He constantly attempts to touch Becky even after she’s given him clear warning that she only wants a professional relationship with him, and after finally winning her, promptly sets about trying to convince her to give up her career despite knowing how important it is to her. He is a physical coward and the only time in the book when he shows even a hint of moral outrage is when he is briefly kidnapped by Hamas.

In short, Nick Wargrave-Rogers is a sociopath who doesn’t care about anything except himself and his own desires.

Now, this is hardly the first book I’ve read with an unsympathetic protagonist. Bret Easton Ellis’ classic American Psycho springs to mind immediately, but that is a very different book in its searing satire and commentary on the consumerism of the 1980s. It is clear when reading American Psycho that the story is intended to be a horror. The audience is meant to be disgusted by Patrick Bateman’s narcissistic, sociopathic character and repulsed by his actions.

In contrast, The Accidental Spy paints Nick Wargrave-Rogers as the hero of his own narrative. Everything he wants falls into his lap and everyone else is either a means to an end or an obstacle to be overcome. Even Becky, whom he claims to love, is eventually nothing more than an inconvenience when she won’t accede to his demands for her to give up her career.

I don’t quite know what the point of this book was or who it is meant to appeal to. The story of a sociopathic trust-fund brat who gets everything he ever wanted without ever having to face the consequences of his actions is frankly disgusting, and it’s not even saved by a great writing style.

Indeed, the author is strongly in need of an editor; I knew that when on page 2 I encountered the phrase “I can still here my mother’s voice” and noted the author’s complete ignorance of the proper place to use a comma. Hear and here are mixed up many times in the story, and there are even more disastrous mistakes such as the mis-spelling of the country Libya as “Lybia” on multiple occasions. Perhaps the most egregious error of all is a reference to “the aborigines of New Zealand” which is racist and ignorant in ways I can’t even begin to express, but a two-minute search on Wikipedia would have explained.

That last error is the only reason why I finished the book instead of throwing it aside in disgust. I wanted to honestly be able to say that I had finished it so that I could properly review it. I do not believe in critiquing something with incomplete knowledge of that thing.

Having finished the book, however, I can with a clear conscience give it one out of four stars.

The Accidental Spy
View: on Bookshelves

Like CaitlynLynch's review? Post a comment saying so!
CaitlynLynch's Latest Review: "The Accidental Spy" by Anthony James
CaitlynLynch

Currently Reading: Self-Publishing Books 101
Bookshelf Size: 3079 books

View Reviewer Page
Reading Device:
2017 Reading Goal: 300 Books
Goal Completion: 103%

Did you know?

Once you join the forums and log in you will get to enjoy a very ad-reduced experience. It's easy and completely free!

Re: Official Review: The Accidental Spy by Anthony James

Post Number:#2 by LINA M-EMBER AMA
» 11 Sep 2017, 23:43

I would definitely not want to read a book that appeals to none at all. Thanks CaitlynLinch's for going through the trouble to spare me an annoying read.
LINA M-EMBER AMA

Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 36 books

View Reviewer Page
2017 Reading Goal: 0 Books
Goal Completion: 0%

Post Number:#3 by 0719672189
» 12 Sep 2017, 03:29

I already love the book from your great review,it sounds very fascinating and is infused with a character whose a psychopath,definitely a great read.

Currently Reading: Apollo's Raven
Bookshelf Size: 15 books

View Reviewer Page

Post Number:#4 by kandscreeley
» 12 Sep 2017, 07:27

Wow! This definitely doesn't sound like an enjoyable book. I'm sorry that you had to read the whole thing. Thanks for getting through it to warn us not to read it.
“There is no friend as loyal as a book.”
― Ernest Hemingway
kandscreeley's Latest Review: "The Other side:" by Seth Ramey
kandscreeley
Special Discussion Leader

Currently Reading: Strong Heart
Bookshelf Size: 100 books

View Reviewer Page
2017 Reading Goal: 100 Books
Goal Completion: 82%

Post Number:#5 by Isaac Obeng Ebu
» 12 Sep 2017, 10:30

I would love to know what happens to Nick at the end, does he change from his old ways or he continues with what he's used to. I don't like his character from the review but I would like know what happens to him. i would like to read the book because of his handler.
Isaac Obeng Ebu

Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 14 books

View Reviewer Page

Post Number:#6 by Btowntheatregal
» 12 Sep 2017, 10:59

Wow, thank you for such a specific and thoughtful review. I don't think this one is one I will pick up anytime in the future!
Btowntheatregal's Latest Review: "Raven's Peak" by Lincoln Cole
Btowntheatregal

Currently Reading: Never Let Me Go
Bookshelf Size: 150 books

View Reviewer Page

Post Number:#7 by MarisaRose
» 12 Sep 2017, 14:02

Sorry this one was such a disappointment! I can imagine how frustrating it was about this narrator - definitely does not sound appealing or like it has any point.
"No two persons ever read the same book." -Edmund Wilson
MarisaRose

Favorite Book: Harry Potter and the Prisoner of Azkaban
Currently Reading: The Western Star
Bookshelf Size: 168 books

View Reviewer Page
Reading Device: Kindle Paperwhite
2017 Reading Goal: 25 Books
Goal Completion: 316%

Post Number:#8 by Abayomi2060
» 12 Sep 2017, 14:41

Wow. I definitely don't want to be in your shoes. Thanks for saving me the trouble
Abayomi2060's Latest Review: "Veterans Day" by J. J. Jorgens
Abayomi2060

Currently Reading: Superhighway
Bookshelf Size: 13 books

View Reviewer Page
2017 Reading Goal: 15 Books
Goal Completion: 33%

Post Number:#9 by CrescentMoon
» 12 Sep 2017, 16:04

That was a very honest and thorough review. I have read books with unsympathetic protagonists as well but usually those are meant to be unsympathetic and the audience is not supposed to root for them. However, this book definitely seems like that was not supposed to be the intended effect. I definitely won't be picking this one up. Thanks for the review!
CrescentMoon

Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 58 books

View Reviewer Page

Post Number:#10 by CaitlynLynch
» 12 Sep 2017, 16:05

Isaac Obeng Ebu wrote:I would love to know what happens to Nick at the end, does he change from his old ways or he continues with what he's used to. I don't like his character from the review but I would like know what happens to him. i would like to read the book because of his handler.

He doesn't change his ways. He gets out of the CIA and uses the knowledge of international money transfers he gained while inside to set up a very shady enterprise making him millions of dollars. He's still a complete and unmitigated asshole and he never really has to face any consequences of his actions; he ends up rewarded for them.

Part of the reason I stuck with this book until the very end was that I really hoped to see him finally get his just desserts. I was very, very disappointed.

-- 13 Sep 2017, 07:07 --

CrescentMoon wrote:That was a very honest and thorough review. I have read books with unsympathetic protagonists as well but usually those are meant to be unsympathetic and the audience is not supposed to root for them. However, this book definitely seems like that was not supposed to be the intended effect. I definitely won't be picking this one up. Thanks for the review!

Sometimes the unsympathetic protagonist makes for an incredible book, especially if they turn out to be an unreliable narrator. I mentioned American Psycho because that was the best example I could think of with seriously unsympathetic protagonist, but really this doesn't deserve to be mentioned in the same breath. It's just terrible. It's badly written and the hoped-for twist at the end which might just have redeemed the narrative slightly never materialised.
CaitlynLynch's Latest Review: "The Accidental Spy" by Anthony James
CaitlynLynch

Currently Reading: Self-Publishing Books 101
Bookshelf Size: 3079 books

View Reviewer Page
Reading Device:
2017 Reading Goal: 300 Books
Goal Completion: 103%

Post Number:#11 by KlareAllison
» 12 Sep 2017, 16:16

The protagonist of this book, Nick Wargrave-Rogers, appears like a character the reader will love to hate. However, the title of this book is appealing. Nice review!
"Sometimes I find myself sitting in one spot for hours, staring at nothing, feeling nothing, and most disturbingly, caring about nothing".

- Mahbod Seraji, Rooftops of Tehran
KlareAllison

Currently Reading: Keys to Tetouan
Bookshelf Size: 85 books

View Reviewer Page
2017 Reading Goal: 50 Books
Goal Completion: 4%

Post Number:#12 by Elle Howard
» 12 Sep 2017, 17:15

Thanks for your honest, well written review. Sometimes the book just doesn't fit with the reader. This book does not appeal to me at all. Thank you for saving us a lot of frustration. I will pass on this one. :snooty:
Elle Howard

Currently Reading: Escape
Bookshelf Size: 36 books

View Reviewer Page
Reading Device: Nook HD 7 Tablet
2017 Reading Goal: 10 Books
Goal Completion: 60%

Post Number:#13 by CatInTheHat
» 12 Sep 2017, 21:17

This is why we read reviews. It keeps us from wasting time on poorly written books. Thank you for your brutal honesty on this one!
Life without a good book is something the CatInTheHat cannot imagine.

Grateful to get the opportunity to explore new books with those in the OBC.
CatInTheHat's Latest Review: "The Poet's Trap" by Sylvie Gallimore
CatInTheHat
Previous Member of the Month

Currently Reading: The Governor's Daughter
Bookshelf Size: 412 books

View Reviewer Page
2017 Reading Goal: 52 Books
Goal Completion: 76%

Post Number:#14 by geoffrey ngoima
» 13 Sep 2017, 01:56

Waw, ..really thorough review, looks like the author has a lot to work on
Taste all the love and sorrow, but don't drink the wine.~ "Reign"
geoffrey ngoima's Latest Review: "Farmer Beau's Farm" by Kathleen Geiger
geoffrey ngoima

Currently Reading: God Versus The Idea of God
Bookshelf Size: 72 books

View Reviewer Page
Reading Device:
2017 Reading Goal: 50 Books
Goal Completion: 22%

Post Number:#15 by charlesjr2
» 13 Sep 2017, 02:33

When you started out on the review, I was review enjoying it. But as you got critical, I realised that this book is not something I would like to read. Thanks for a great review.
charlesjr2's Latest Review: "Escape" by Belle Ami
charlesjr2

Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 11 books

View Reviewer Page
2017 Reading Goal: 15 Books
Goal Completion: 13%