Official Review: Grave Matters by Carlotta G. Holton

Please use this sub-forum to discuss any crime, thriller, mystery or horror books or series.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
barb429
Bookshelf Size: 176
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-barb429.html
Latest Review: "Tears That Changed a Nation" by Charles L. Tucker
Reading Device: B00IKPYKWG

Official Review: Grave Matters by Carlotta G. Holton

Post by barb429 »

[Following is an official OnlineBookClub.org review of "Grave Matters" by Carlotta G. Holton.]
Book Cover
3 out of 4 stars
Share This Review

Carlotta G. Holton’s Grave Matters is a collection of short stories that offers tales of superstition, suspense, and a little bit of horror. These tales span time and location to give the reader a wide variety of stories. One story may be the tale of revenge, while the next may be a ghost story. What are you afraid of? Whether it is puppets, ghosts, werewolves, or something of the human nature, more than likely this book has it! With Fall arriving soon and Halloween around the corner, this would be a fun book to pick up.

Typically when I read a collection of short stories, I find that I don’t like all of the stories in the collection. This is not the case with Grave Matters. All 24 stories are enjoyable. Some of these read as though they are fables, while others are told very much in the spirit of Edgar Allen Poe. I really enjoyed the variety that was provided. Each story also begins with a quote about superstition, which I thought was a great introduction to each chapter.

The first story in the collection was “Saving Face”. This story about revenge takes place at a masquerade ball in Venice. Although this story is set in contemporary times, it has a very classic feel to it. I felt as though this was a great choice for the first story of the book, it was interesting, grabbed my attention, and made me want to read more.

Grave Matters was written very well, but there were some formatting issues throughout the book. Sometimes the alignment and spacing would change throughout the reading. During one of the stories “Scorpio’s Setting” the sentences ran off of the page. During another story “The Haunted Steed” there is a misplaced sentence that just stopped in the middle of the paragraph. When I looked a few lines above the paragraph, I found that this was a line from earlier in the story. There were also sections in which the font size changed. This sometimes made it difficult to read.

Although it could be easy to binge read all of the stories in Grave Matters and finish the book in an afternoon, it is also easy to pick up and read for a few minutes at a time. Each of the stories are only a few pages long, so one can easily read a little at a time. I would recommend this book to anybody who enjoys a good creepy tale. Although some of the stories are creepy, it is not overly scary. If not for the formatting issues I would give this book a perfect score. Because of the formatting, though, I give Grave Matters 3 out of 4 stars.

Grave Matters
View: on Bookshelves

Like barb429's review? Post a comment saying so!
Latest Review: "Tears That Changed a Nation" by Charles L. Tucker
geoffrey ngoima
Bookshelf Size: 110
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-geoffrey-ngoima.html
Latest Review: "The Little Girl Inside Owning My Role in My Own Pain" by Tonya Barbee
Reading Device: B00UB76290

Post by geoffrey ngoima »

Sounds like a good one to me, too bad about the editing issues but those I'm sure can be managed... I've seen Edgar Allen's books but I have never read one...
Good review
To posit that the war brings us closer to faith is a sleight of hand that makes fools of us all. "There Are Only Atheists in Fox Holes"~ Michael Carson
Latest Review: "The Little Girl Inside Owning My Role in My Own Pain" by Tonya Barbee
kandscreeley
Special Discussion Leader
Currently Reading: The Door Within
Bookshelf Size: 487
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kandscreeley.html
Latest Review: The Elf Revelation by Jordan David

Post by kandscreeley »

I like a good collection of short stories. This sounds like one I would enjoy. Thanks for a nice review.
A book is a dream you hold in your hands.
—Neil Gaiman
Elle Howard
Currently Reading: If life stinks get your head outta your buts
Bookshelf Size: 50
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-elle-howard.html
Latest Review: And Then I Met Margaret by Rob White
Reading Device: 1400698987

Post by Elle Howard »

I like to read at night before going to bed and this book seems perfect for that. I love a good collection of short stories. Throw in a bit of horror and suspense and you have the perfect read.
Any book that helps a child to form a habit of reading, to make reading one of his deep and continuing needs, is good for him.
–Maya Angelou
Quinto
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 704
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-quinto.html
Latest Review: The Longfellah's Son: An Almost True Irish Story by Michael Cassidy

Post by Quinto »

An interesting read of short stories that prey on our fears. Great review.
ashley_claire
Favorite Book: The Prince of Tides
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 158
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-ashley-claire.html
Latest Review: One Way or Another by Mary J. Williams

Post by ashley_claire »

This seems like a great book to pick up with Halloween being next month. Short stories aren't normally my thing but this seems like an interesting collection.
kimmyschemy06
Currently Reading: The Searching Three
Bookshelf Size: 694
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kimmyschemy06.html
Latest Review: Kazi Boku by M. Poyhonen

Post by kimmyschemy06 »

Sounds like a creepy but amusing book. I'm not into horror stories but I surely appreciate superstitions. Too bad about the formatting, though. Great job on the review.
MsTri
Previous Member of the Month
Favorite Author: Miranda Ann Markley
Favorite Book: The Spirit Seeds Book 1
Currently Reading: the Secret of Safe Passage
Bookshelf Size: 1033
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-mstri.html
Latest Review: Suddenly Free, Vol. 1 by Yvette Carmon Davis
Reading Device: B07HZHJGY7
fav_author_id: 225682

Post by MsTri »

I simply adore horror stories and anthologies, so this sounds like my kind of book! Thanks,
though, for the heads-up about the grammatical and formatting errors; I do hate those, so.

Return to “Crime, Thrillers, Mystery and Horror Books”