Official Review: Intrinsic Encounters by K. M. Oddeck

Please use this sub-forum to discuss any crime, thriller, mystery or horror books or series.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
Excitedreads
Favorite Book: <a href="http://forums.onlinebookclub.org/shelve ... 667">Harry Potter and the Deathly Hallows</a>
Currently Reading: Rich Woman
Bookshelf Size: 142
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-excitedreads.html
Latest Review: "Puffy and the Formidable Foe" by Marie Lepkowski and Ann Marie Hannon
Reading Device: B00J8DL78O

Official Review: Intrinsic Encounters by K. M. Oddeck

Post by Excitedreads »

[Following is an official OnlineBookClub.org review of "Intrinsic Encounters" by K. M. Oddeck.]
Book Cover
3 out of 4 stars
Share This Review

Intrinsic Encounters by K.M. Oddeck is a 221 page novel (at least that’s the copy available for review; paperback on the market is available at 329 pages) that promises a little bit of romance, mystery and a lot of engineering. This, compounded by some drugs, money laundering, stalking, some college excitement and a lot of humor, proves to be quite a recipe for a light but interesting read.

The story is told in the first person by David Elbert, college student / soon to be graduate, who has been tinkering and re-inventing electrical gadgets for as long as he can remember. After quite an interesting coterie of misdemeanors against his parents’ electrical gadgets, winds up via a peculiar string of events as a student halfway across the globe in Jena, Germany, studying a business engineering degree. His final step to graduate is to complete his long awaited thesis. On the road to his own money driven success, David discovers he has feelings for his beautiful best friend Elise and as sparks begin to fly, one thing leads to another and he becomes intertwined with a new (but old, tattered pile of concrete in desperate need of tender loving care) house, a new girlfriend and a strange realtor that insists on being ever present. Strangely enough, apart from all this, David realizes the company he chose to complete his thesis with has more going on than meets the eye and he may have bitten off more than he can chew. What does all this have to do with drugs, money laundering and stalking you might ask? You’ll just have to read on to find out.

Reading through the reviews I’ve found on Amazon and elsewhere, combined with the summary provided to provide insight for reviewing purposes, everything suggested mystery, drugs, and loads of suspense. However when reading, that was the farthest thing from what actually happened. There were some little mysteries, yes, but the majority of the novel was based on David’s thesis and his journey as an upcoming business engineer. The little extras only came in bits and pieces post page 90 of the not that long, 221 page novel. Added to, the romantic parts of it were quick and quite unrealistic as David and Elise went from just dating to buying a house together in a few short months! Not what I would have expected at all. I wondered the entire time how realistic it was for two recent college graduates to afford a starter home with no disposable income, which they not only bought, but also renovated and hired a professional interior designer to make inhabitable. Added to that, the book is laced with a whole lot of characters, some of which do prove to be somewhat important in David’s career and parts of the plot, whilst others just seemed to be nonessential fluff to get from one part of the book to the other.

That being said, when I let go of my expectations of this being a thrilling mystery that’d have me at my seat’s edge, and just sat back and appreciated the novel for what it was worth, I enjoyed it a lot more. I stopped waiting for something huge to happen and started ingesting David’s ploys as they came. The author did a wonderful job of interlacing humor throughout the novel in a “make fun of yourself, oh my gosh the world is on fire,” kind of way. It was light and I loved David’s endless thought trails. Apart from that, David’s journey as a business engineer was quite interesting to read as he stumbled, found himself jobless and broke, and got back up again. It’s not unlike much other college graduate experiences out here (though his may have propelled forward a little quicker). The engineering terms at times were a bit much to be honest, but considering the author also completed a business engineering degree in Jena, Germany, I guess it can be understood. It did however help provide better insight and perspective at times into the challenges David faced.

Overall, once the adverts for the book are edited so as not to mislead readers and it’s understood that this is actually quite a light novel, I think it will be better received, maybe even to a larger audience that can include young adults post high school as it had no alarming graphic or violent content that would thwart the younger audience. Even the romance scenes seemed PG. The book nonetheless seemed well-written, and had no noticeable grammatical errors, which leads me to believe that it has been thoroughly vetted. I wish again that it had a little more perplexity to the plot, but taking it as it is, is still one that can be enjoyed by masses. I’ll happily rate Intrinsic Encounters 3 out of 4 stars, and recommend it to those adults and young adults that’d enjoy a light mixture of humor, strange conundrums and a little romance.

Intrinsic Encounters
View: on Bookshelves | on Amazon | on iTunes

Like Excitedreads's review? Post a comment saying so!
Between the pages of a book is a lovely place to be...
Latest Review: "Puffy and the Formidable Foe" by Marie Lepkowski and Ann Marie Hannon
RegularGuy3
Currently Reading: All the Light We Cannot See
Bookshelf Size: 15
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-regularguy3.html
Latest Review: Farmer Beau's Farm by Kathleen Geiger

Post by RegularGuy3 »

Funny whane a book doesn't meet expectations but exceeds expectations. Thanks for the review!
Ubyamos
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 16
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-ubyamos.html
Latest Review: The Warramunga's War by Greg Kater

Post by Ubyamos »

Thanks for the honest review.
If I decide to pick it up to read, I'll know what to expect.
Zelinda
Favorite Book: The Swallow
Currently Reading: Of Illusions and Inkwells
Bookshelf Size: 689
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-zelinda.html
Latest Review: The Girl Who Knew da Vinci by Belle Ami
Reading Device: B00JG8GOWU

Post by Zelinda »

Well...that is quite a review. I'm not sure after reading it that I would like this book as much as you did, but I appreciate that you enjoyed the book a lot more after you let go of your expectations for it. And I loved that it was a mystery with humor. There are not as many of those as I would like.
“In books I have traveled, not only to other worlds, but into my own.”
― Anna Quindlen, How Reading Changed My Life
Elle Howard
Currently Reading: If life stinks get your head outta your buts
Bookshelf Size: 50
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-elle-howard.html
Latest Review: And Then I Met Margaret by Rob White
Reading Device: 1400698987

Post by Elle Howard »

Thanks for the well written, honest review. I am glad you enjoyed reading it. The description was not what I expected from the title or the cover. I was expecting something more action packed and suspenseful. However, it sounds like a pretty quick, enjoyable book to read and I look forward to reading it.
Any book that helps a child to form a habit of reading, to make reading one of his deep and continuing needs, is good for him.
–Maya Angelou
kislany
Previous Member of the Month
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 527
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kislany.html
Latest Review: Golden Skies by Juan Zapata

Post by kislany »

So this is kind of a laid-back mystery with no action-packed moments. I guess those books have their place as well. Nice review.
LINA M-EMBER AMA
Bookshelf Size: 36
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-lina-m-ember-ama.html
Latest Review: "Lemoncella Cocktail" by Rene Natan

Post by LINA M-EMBER AMA »

A light read that mirrors a bit of the writer's life and aspirations. Its a thorough review. Welldone.
Latest Review: "Lemoncella Cocktail" by Rene Natan
Excitedreads
Favorite Book: <a href="http://forums.onlinebookclub.org/shelve ... 667">Harry Potter and the Deathly Hallows</a>
Currently Reading: Rich Woman
Bookshelf Size: 142
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-excitedreads.html
Reading Device: B00J8DL78O

Post by Excitedreads »

Thank you all for your gracious comments. It wasn't action packed, but it was srill well written. Hope u do get to read it and enjoy it, should you choose to do so, :)
Between the pages of a book is a lovely place to be...
Sonireallyam
Bookshelf Size: 35

Post by Sonireallyam »

An honest and thorough review, I like it.
Shahina Hussain
Currently Reading: For the Love of Suzanne
Bookshelf Size: 13

Post by Shahina Hussain »

Interesting review

Return to “Crime, Thrillers, Mystery and Horror Books”