Review by Karen0823 -- The 11.05 Murders by Brian O'Hare

This forum is for volunteer reviews by members of our review team. These reviews are done voluntarily by the reviewers and are published in this forum, separate from the official professional reviews. These reviews are kept separate primarily because the same book may be reviewed by many different reviewers.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
Karen0823
Bookshelf Size: 18
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-karen0823.html
Latest Review: "From Drift to SHIFT" by Jody B. Miller

Review by Karen0823 -- The 11.05 Murders by Brian O'Hare

Post by Karen0823 »

[Following is a volunteer review of "The 11.05 Murders" by Brian O'Hare.]
Book Cover
4 out of 4 stars
Share This Review

The 11:05 Murders
Volume 2 of the Inspector Sheehan Mysteries

by Brian O'Hare

This riveting, fictional murder-mystery takes place in Belfast, Northern Ireland. Denise Stewart, upon receiving a promotion from her police unit at Lisburn, is beginning her new assignment as Detective Sergeant at Strandtown Station. Having had to endure chauvinism and sexual prejudice during her tenure at Lisburn, Stewart comes to Strandtown a bit guarded. Stewart's unofficial detective work at Lisburn had uncovered corruption within the top ranks, which caused fellow officers to consider her to be a rat, displeased that she had disrupted their good-old-boy system . She is Crown Prosecutor Robert Turner's top witness at trial. The handsome and successful Turner invites Stewart for a celebratory dinner after trial, but Stewart questions whether his intentions are purely professional.

A series of grizzly murders, committed at exactly 11:05 on Tuesdays, is Stewart's first assignment. With multiple possible suspects, including the likes of Ronald “The Bat” Weir, Chief Inspector Jim Sheehan and his unit must try to connect the dots to tie the murders together. Thinking outside the box, Sergeant Stewart begins to follow a somewhat unlikely lead. Could the suicide of a young girl some 12 years ago be the key to unlocking this case? Adding to the complexities of her investigation, Stewart has a mysterious stalker and an illusive informant. She is concerned for her own safety, but having forged a kinship with fellow detective, Tom Allen, has put his life in danger as well.

I rate this book 4 out of 4 stars. The best part of a murder-mystery suspense story is the cat-and-mouse chase and unexpected turn of events, and this book did not disappoint. It kept me turning the pages and on the edge of my seat. The characters had great depth while being interesting and believable.

I'm sure many can relate to the harassment and sexism in the workforce that Sergeant Stewart had to endure. The acceptance, warmth and tolerance exhibited by Stewart's new co-workers was refreshing. There was also the incorporation of the budding office romance. Who doesn't love a good love story? The gradual crumbling of the wall Stewart had built around herself, due to the support of her fellow detectives, was heart-warming.

The way the characters played off of one another was endearing and entertaining. Stewart's respect and admiration for her superior, Inspector Sheehan, is a familiar feeling to anyone who has had a reasonable and kind boss. I felt affection for handsome Detective Tom Allen's hesitant and mannerly interest in Stewart. I could appreciate the unit's understanding toward Detective McCoy given his impending retirement. And I think we all know someone like Margaret Sheehan, who attempts to help her husband with outside perspective and intuition.

The 11:05 Murders was enjoyable reading and I would readily recommend it to friends and colleagues. It has all of the elements of a suspenseful who-done-it and more. The ending left me wanting to know what will happen next and hoping to see wedding bells between Stewart and Allen. I am eager to read the other books in Mr. O'Hare's Inspector Sheehan Mysteries series.

As far as editing, this reader noted only a half dozen typos. To name a few, (1) page 6, paragraph 3, “in front to the two,” should be, “in front of the two; (2) page 57, paragraph 8, “Then old man's,” should be, “The old man's.”

The 11.05 Murders
View: on Bookshelves | on Amazon | on Smashwords

Like Karen0823's review? Post a comment saying so!
Latest Review: "From Drift to SHIFT" by Jody B. Miller
Manang Muyang
Previous Member of the Month
Favorite Book:
Currently Reading: Donny and Mary Grace's California Adventures
Bookshelf Size: 686
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-manang-muyang.html
Latest Review: Your Great Name by Shawn Funk
Reading Device: B00KC6I06S

Post by Manang Muyang »

Hi, Karen0823! This seems to be an engrossing detective story, my comfort genre. I have to read it soon.
Amagine
Favorite Author: James Patterson
Bookshelf Size: 721
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-amagine.html
Latest Review: "Salome and Gogo visit Soweto" by Cora Groenewald
Reading Device: B00IKPYKWG
fav_author_id: 3251

Post by Amagine »

I'm not really into mysteries but this book does sound quite intriguing!

Great Review! ?
"Piglet noticed that even though he had a very small heart, it could hold a rather large amount of gratitude." -A.A Milne

"I am grateful for all the books that sparked my imagination." -Unknown
Latest Review: "Salome and Gogo visit Soweto" by Cora Groenewald
RegularGuy3
Currently Reading: All the Light We Cannot See
Bookshelf Size: 15
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-regularguy3.html
Latest Review: Farmer Beau's Farm by Kathleen Geiger

Post by RegularGuy3 »

Sounds good. Thanks for the review. But sometimes I don't love a good love story. It feels like all mysteries shove one into the plot, sometimes to the detriment of the plot.

Return to “Volunteer Reviews”