Forum Navigation: Forum Index » Books and Reading » Reviews and Discussions about Specific Books and Series » Crime, Thrillers, Mystery and Horror Books

Want FREE books and FREE Amazon gift cards?

Each day we announce via email a book that is either FREE or on a temporary sale at a great discount price. These are not your average free books. These are incredible insider deals on well-rated books. OnlineBookClub.org is where tomorrow's bestsellers are born. We also give away over $1,000 per month of free Amazon gift cards in free daily giveaways, exclusively to those signed up to these announcements! Hurry, sign up free now:

Sorry, this proves you are human.

Official Review: The Covert Messiah by J R Lankford

Please use this sub-forum to discuss any crime, thriller, mystery or horror books or series.

Official Review: The Covert Messiah by J R Lankford

Post Number:#1 by MarisaRose
» 05 Sep 2017, 16:09

[Following is an official OnlineBookClub.org review of "The Covert Messiah" by J R Lankford.]

Book Cover
4 out of 4 stars
Review by MarisaRose
Share This Review

The Covert Messiah by J R Lankford is the fourth installment in The Jesus Thief series. The series focuses on Jess, a clone of Jesus Christ, who died previously in the series. That is, until Maggie Johnson, the woman who carried Jess, finds him alive and well while at the market one day. The rest of the novel focuses on various characters as they all head to Udugu, a village in Tanzania, and ultimately to Jess, for one reason or another. Ariel, a teenage girl who recently discovered she was pregnant, a pastor, his mistress, and Ahmad, a business man with ulterior motives will all come face to face with Jess. The burning question is, what is the reason for Jess’ sudden reappearance?

The author masterfully blends the characters’ stories, linking them all together as they meet in Udugu at the end. For the most part, each character had their positive and negative traits, making them come across as flawed and ultimately human. The blend of very different characters and very different cultures helped to maintain the reader’s interest. Although it was difficult to connect with some of the characters due to their financial statuses, they were fun to read about. On the other hand, the immersion into African culture felt authentic, and the author adequately explained foreign terms to avoid confusion.

However, there were certain plot points that were glossed over and resolved too easily. Most notably, Ariel’s pregnancy is given a lot of attention as it is her main storyline. Yet, her friend group and the events that resulted in the unexpected pregnancy are never explored. Further, this plot arc was tied up too conveniently and lessened the seriousness of Ariel’s predicament. Lastly, the way Ariel is written, the closure she is provided does not seem like it would satisfy her curiosity the way it did in the novel.

Although this is the fourth book in a series, the author provided enough backstory and clues about previous installments, so the story was easy to follow. It never felt like additional backstory was necessary to understand the current events taking place. While reading through The Covert Messiah, I was tempted to go back and read some of the previous stories, just to know more about how all of these events started. That being said, I would not hesitate to recommend this book to those who have not read any of the other installments in the series.

Clearly, the story told in The Covert Messiah requires a significant suspension of disbelief on the part of the reader. Readers of thrillers who don’t mind a farfetched plot will find this story engrossing and enjoy reading about the distinct cast of characters. Although there were some aspects of this story I found hard to wrap my head around, The Covert Messiah proved to be a fun, engaging read, leading me to rate it 4 out of 4 stars.

The Covert Messiah
View: on Bookshelves | on Amazon | on Smashwords

Like MarisaRose's review? Post a comment saying so!
"No two persons ever read the same book." -Edmund Wilson
MarisaRose

Favorite Book: Harry Potter and the Prisoner of Azkaban
Currently Reading: The Western Star
Bookshelf Size: 168 books

View Reviewer Page
Reading Device: Kindle Paperwhite
2017 Reading Goal: 25 Books
Goal Completion: 316%

Did you know?

Once you join the forums and log in you will get to enjoy a very ad-reduced experience. It's easy and completely free!

Re: Official Review: The Covert Messiah by J R Lankford

Post Number:#2 by geoffrey ngoima
» 06 Sep 2017, 07:39

It doesn't look so convincing, the book, but Tanzania neighbors my country, Kenya, so I may be biased and check it out. And for it to have such a good rating must make it quite something.
Taste all the love and sorrow, but don't drink the wine.~ "Reign"
geoffrey ngoima's Latest Review: "Farmer Beau's Farm" by Kathleen Geiger
geoffrey ngoima

Currently Reading: God Versus The Idea of God
Bookshelf Size: 72 books

View Reviewer Page
Reading Device:
2017 Reading Goal: 50 Books
Goal Completion: 22%

Post Number:#3 by kandscreeley
» 06 Sep 2017, 07:47

I saw this one to review, but I skipped it. I think maybe because it was in a series. I'm always leery of books in a series where I haven't read the rest. I'm glad the story was easy enough to follow, though. Thanks!
“There is no friend as loyal as a book.”
― Ernest Hemingway
kandscreeley's Latest Review: "The Other side:" by Seth Ramey
kandscreeley
Special Discussion Leader

Currently Reading: Strong Heart
Bookshelf Size: 100 books

View Reviewer Page
2017 Reading Goal: 100 Books
Goal Completion: 82%

Post Number:#4 by MarisaRose
» 06 Sep 2017, 07:48

kandscreeley wrote:I saw this one to review, but I skipped it. I think maybe because it was in a series. I'm always leery of books in a series where I haven't read the rest. I'm glad the story was easy enough to follow, though. Thanks!

I know how you feel! It's always a gamble starting off in the middle of a series, but luckily this one was interesting and worked as a standalone. Thanks for commenting :)
MarisaRose

View Reviewer Page

Post Number:#5 by Belynda White
» 07 Sep 2017, 04:47

First of all, it was the title of the book that got my attention. Wow! The author did a good job on that one. I'm a thriller lover but since this is the fourth book of this series, I think I'll be lost in between, somehow. But all the same, I'm sure it'll be a good read. Nice review. Please drop by my latest review to give your critical opinion about it. Every honest opinion helps me increase my writing skills.
Most times, I fall flat on my face. But never do I remain on the floor; I rise again.
Belynda White's Latest Review: "Yesterday" by Samyann
Belynda White

Favorite Book: Destiny Revisited
Currently Reading: Raven's Peak
Bookshelf Size: 27 books

View Reviewer Page
Reading Device: Samsung Galaxy Tab Nook Edition
2017 Reading Goal: 40 Books
Goal Completion: 45%

Post Number:#6 by MarisaRose
» 07 Sep 2017, 08:26

Belynda White wrote:First of all, it was the title of the book that got my attention. Wow! The author did a good job on that one. I'm a thriller lover but since this is the fourth book of this series, I think I'll be lost in between, somehow. But all the same, I'm sure it'll be a good read. Nice review. Please drop by my latest review to give your critical opinion about it. Every honest opinion helps me increase my writing skills.

Thanks for commenting! The title is definitely intriguing - it was what initially drew me to this book.
MarisaRose

View Reviewer Page

Post Number:#7 by CatInTheHat
» 08 Sep 2017, 09:09

kandscreeley wrote:I saw this one to review, but I skipped it. I think maybe because it was in a series. I'm always leery of books in a series where I haven't read the rest. I'm glad the story was easy enough to follow, though. Thanks!

Same here. There have been a couple of times when it wasn't made clear that a book was part of a series, so I ended up reviewing them but I do try to avoid it as it is often difficult to understand why certain things are happening without the background of earlier books.
Life without a good book is something the CatInTheHat cannot imagine.

Grateful to get the opportunity to explore new books with those in the OBC.
CatInTheHat's Latest Review: "The Poet's Trap" by Sylvie Gallimore
CatInTheHat
Previous Member of the Month

Currently Reading: The Governor's Daughter
Bookshelf Size: 412 books

View Reviewer Page
2017 Reading Goal: 52 Books
Goal Completion: 76%

Post Number:#8 by Quinto
» 08 Sep 2017, 09:23

The suspension of disbelief to read this novel appears to be the only way I could be reading it. Good review.
Quinto

Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 41 books

View Reviewer Page
2017 Reading Goal: 0 Books
Goal Completion: 0%

Post Number:#9 by Vermont Reviews
» 09 Sep 2017, 15:13

Great job reviewing this book.
Vermont Reviews
Vermont Reviews's Latest Review: "Book Blueprint" by Jacqui Pretty