Official Review: Lara's Journal by A. Gavazzoni

Please use this sub-forum to discuss any crime, thriller, mystery or horror books or series.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
Kourtney Bradley
Favorite Book: Bridges of Madison County
Currently Reading: Layla
Bookshelf Size: 412
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kourtney-bradley.html
Latest Review: Dante's Demons by K.L. Barstow
Reading Device: 1400697484

Official Review: Lara's Journal by A. Gavazzoni

Post by Kourtney Bradley »

[Following is an official OnlineBookClub.org review of "Lara's Journal" by A. Gavazzoni.]
Book Cover
4 out of 4 stars
Share This Review

Lara’s Journal is a thrilling romance novel written by A. Gavazzoni and published in January of 2017. As the sequel to Behind the Door, Lara’s Journal picks up almost immediately where the first book ends. The story is told in a flip-flop structure, bouncing back and forth from Simone Bennet in the present, to what she reads in Lara’s Journal.

The story starts out with Simone, a psychologist specializing in sexual behavior disorders, who is taking a long vacation while trying to recover from the traumatic events that surrounded her in Behind the Door. Trying to clear the remnants of the trauma from her mind, Simone has been spending time with a friend and enjoying the sunshine. Simone is just beginning to think her life will return to normal when Carl, a former client, returns asking for help reading through Lara’s journals, which were recently discovered after her untimely death. Hoping the journals will provide a more detailed insight to the drama and unusual sexual behavior from Lara’s past, Simone agrees to proceed. Because Lara’s Journal is the sequel to another story, I wouldn’t say it would read as well as a stand-alone novel, as there is necessary information within the first book that should not be missed.

Although Simone is expecting her life to return back to normal with helping patients, her world is quickly flipped upside down again as a string of murders are linked back to her. Is the deranged psychopath from Behind the Door back to cast demise on Simone for outing him? Or is someone new in the game as a copycat? The twists and turns offered with Lara’s Journal are a constant game changer, and kept me on my toes throughout the novel.

The editing process for Lara’s Journal seemed professionally done, leaving no errors to be found. Because the story involved detailed descriptions of sexual activity and abuse, I have to give a reader’s discretion, as the book is only appropriate for mature readers.

I had the privilege to read and review Behind the Door a few months ago and was immediately engrossed with the story from the beginning. With how much I enjoyed reading Behind the Door, it’s fair to say that my expectations were very high for Lara’s Journal, and I am so pleased to say that it did not disappoint. Gavazzoni is an impressive writer, offering works of fiction that are enchanting in a way that are totally unforgettable. The thrilling aspects within the story were so involving that I spent many nights up far too late, as I was too wrapped into the story to find a stopping point. It’s an honor to rate Lara’s Journal 4 out of 4 stars, and I look forward to the future works offered by A. Gavazzoni.

Lara's Journal
View: on Bookshelves | on Amazon

Like klbradley's review? Post a comment saying so!
Whenever you read a good book, somewhere in the world a door opens to allow in more light. :techie-studyingbrown:
–Vera Nazarian
kandscreeley
Special Discussion Leader
Currently Reading: The Door Within
Bookshelf Size: 487
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kandscreeley.html
Latest Review: The Elf Revelation by Jordan David

Post by kandscreeley »

I don't think this book is for me, but I enjoyed reading your review. Glad you were able to read the sequel as you enjoyed the first one so much.
A book is a dream you hold in your hands.
—Neil Gaiman
Kourtney Bradley

Thank you!
Whenever you read a good book, somewhere in the world a door opens to allow in more light. :techie-studyingbrown:
–Vera Nazarian
The Researcher
Currently Reading: Buried Threads
Bookshelf Size: 101
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-the-researcher.html
Latest Review: "Curve Couture" by H M Irwing
Reading Device: B00I15SB16

Post by The Researcher »

Very insightful review. I am definitely going to read this book based on your recommendation.
What is the most special thing I did today- I was MYSELF. Happy and in love and unapologetically myself.
Latest Review: "Curve Couture" by H M Irwing
Kourtney Bradley

I'm glad to hear it!
–Vera Nazarian
RegularGuy3
Currently Reading: All the Light We Cannot See
Bookshelf Size: 15
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-regularguy3.html
Latest Review: Farmer Beau's Farm by Kathleen Geiger

Post by RegularGuy3 »

Thanks for the review!
Kourtney Bradley

Thank you!
–Vera Nazarian
kimmyschemy06
Currently Reading: The Searching Three
Bookshelf Size: 694
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kimmyschemy06.html
Latest Review: Kazi Boku by M. Poyhonen

Post by kimmyschemy06 »

Sounds like a great book. However, I think I have to read Behind the Door first to enjoy this book fully. Great job on the review.
Kourtney Bradley

I definitely recommend reading Behind the Door first, just so you'll get the full effect!
–Vera Nazarian
Ferdinand_Otieno
Book of the Month Participant
Favorite Author: Victor Rose
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 1749
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-ferdinand-otieno.html
Latest Review: Zona: The Forbidden Land by Fred G. Baker
fav_author_id: 78026

Post by Ferdinand_Otieno »

Lara's Journal by A. Gavazzoni is a thrilling romantic book with an excellent set of characters and an even amazing plot. I loved this story and rated it 4 out of 4 stars. Congrats #BOTD
Excellent review that represented the book perfectly.
Kourtney Bradley

Thank you for checking it out!
–Vera Nazarian
ReviewerDiksha
Currently Reading: The Katharina Code
Bookshelf Size: 151
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-reviewerdiksha.html
Latest Review: A Brighter Tomorrow by Lori Schneider, MD

Post by ReviewerDiksha »

It's a sequel :cry: I really liked the cover of this book and wanted to read it. But I guess I will have to first search for the previous book in the series. Your review was good. Thank you.
BelindaC
Bookshelf Size: 46
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-belindac.html
Latest Review: "Puffy and the Formidable Foe" by Marie Lepkowski and Ann Marie Hannon

Post by BelindaC »

Sounds potentially interesting. You don't often see such an intricate mystery plot woven into a romance novel.
Latest Review: "Puffy and the Formidable Foe" by Marie Lepkowski and Ann Marie Hannon
gali
Previous Member of the Month
Favorite Author: Agatha Christie
Currently Reading: Pride and Prejudice in Space
Bookshelf Size: 2288
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-gali.html
Reading Device: B00I15SB16
Publishing Contest Votes: 0
fav_author_id: 2484

Post by gali »

A psychologist trying to heal from a past trauma when a new killer pops up? Sounds intriguing. I didn't read the first one and don't think I will read this one, as I erotic romances aren't my cup of tea. I am glad you enjoyed the book, though. Thank you for the review!
A retired Admin/Mod

Pronouns: She/Her

"In the case of good books, the point is not to see how many of them you can get through, but rather how many can get through to you." (Mortimer J. Adler)
Christina O Phillips
Currently Reading: Oz
Bookshelf Size: 1326
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-christina-o-phillips.html
Latest Review: Natural Relief for Anxiety and Stress by Gustavo Kinrys, MD
Reading Device: B00JG8GOWU

Post by Christina O Phillips »

When I read the sample, I thought the opening with the sex scene was gratuitous and as I kept reading, I felt like I was missing too much. I agree with you that this is probably not to be read as a stand alone book. You make it sound more interesting, though, so I'd like to read it eventually. Thank you for your review.

Return to “Crime, Thrillers, Mystery and Horror Books”