Review of Infliction Point

Please use this sub-forum to discuss any crime, thriller, mystery or horror books or series.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
Patrícia Gomes
Book of the Month Participant
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 56
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-patr-cia-gomes.html
Latest Review: Infliction Point by Mark Hacker

Review of Infliction Point

Post by Patrícia Gomes »

[Following is an official OnlineBookClub.org review of "Infliction Point" by Mark Hacker.]
Book Cover
4 out of 5 stars
Share This Review

Kayla Reynolds is not the protagonist of Infliction Point; however, she is the main reason this book is a beautiful mess. Kayla is the love of Zach Axton’s life and the daughter of Senator Reynolds, but, unfortunately, she was brutally murdered, this situation creates a chaotic scenario that turns several lives upside down, especially of her partner and father, who will do anything to find the truth.

Both Zach and the Senator have their ways of coping with Kayla’s death, but these procedures and tools are not always the most controlled and put-together mechanisms, and sooner or later, this is quite evident as the book evolves. After all, who is the killer? Who is hunting who? And above all, what truly happened?

What I loved the most about this book was the constant sentiment of tension and unease. The plot twists helped tremendously with this scenario. Still, the truth is that the main characters are very twisted, problematic, and untrustworthy, at least from my perspective, which creates a perfect harmony of mystery, fear, and confusion throughout the book.

The character development is also something to take into consideration in this book, as they evolve to become hunting machines with more problems than the ones they started with, including mental health diseases such as depression.

Besides these elements, there are a few downsides, as I would like to feel a deeper connection, not to the characters but to their history and overall trauma after Kayla’s death. However, due to the fast pace and the feeling of “hunting” the murderer, the characters didn’t even have the proper time to mourn and take action immediately.

Due to this little step back, I rate this book 4 out of 5 stars and applaud the flawless editing of the book. The plot is still brilliant and very engaging. Mark Hacker’s writing style is unique and remarkable, and this book presents an interesting read for thriller lovers who love reading good books with amazing twists. After all, there are good twists and amazing, unexpected twists, and this book has one for every taste until the very last chapter.

Infliction Point
View: on Bookshelves
Amy Luman
Previous Member of the Month
Currently Reading: Severed Roots
Bookshelf Size: 1024
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-amy-luman.html
Latest Review: 2084 by Kadon Landon Peterson
Reading Device: B00JG8GOWU

Post by Amy Luman »

C/T/M/H is my favorite genre. A sense of reality makes it appeal to me even more. It would have been nice if the author would have done more fleshing-out of the characters. Thanks!
NetMassimo
Previous Member of the Month
Currently Reading: The Night Land
Bookshelf Size: 435
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-netmassimo.html
Latest Review: The Ripsons by Joe Morrow
2024 Reading Goal: 60
2024 Goal Completion: 48%

Post by NetMassimo »

Despite the flaws you pointed out, overall, this seems like an engaging thriller full of twists untile the end and makes me curious to discover who killed Kayla. Thank you for your great review!
Ciao :)
Massimo
Charmaine Mahlangu
Favorite Book: Defining a free man from a black stream
Currently Reading: We ae volulhirer
Bookshelf Size: 79
2024 Reading Goal: 500
2024 Goal Completion: 14%

Post by Charmaine Mahlangu »

Yes indeed. Crime, thriller and mystery books do exactly that. There's always a rollercoaster of emotions throughout the book. One moment we are sure this is the killer but actually its not. That's why crime and thriller is my favorite. I love how you introduced a character as if she is the protagonist but you knew she was just going to die. I'm sure the book did the same. I loved your review it was exceptional and consisted of a rollercoaster of emotions too.

Return to “Crime, Thrillers, Mystery and Horror Books”