Official Review: Song of the Robin by R.V.Biggs

Please use this sub-forum to discuss any crime, thriller, mystery or horror books or series.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
Fullsunmoon
Currently Reading: China Rich Girlfriend
Bookshelf Size: 299
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-fullsunmoon.html
Latest Review: "Song of the Robin" by R.V.Biggs

Official Review: Song of the Robin by R.V.Biggs

Post by Fullsunmoon »

[Following is an official OnlineBookClub.org review of "Song of the Robin" by R.V.Biggs.]
Book Cover
4 out of 4 stars
Share This Review

Please note that this book has been previously published as Awakening in 2012. A revised edition came out April 2017, and this is the version I am reviewing. There is a review on the forums for the 2012 edition.

In the prologue, it is December 1st, and we meet Sarah, the main character of the story, at a dinner party. Sarah is observing the scene around her, while also reflecting on the events of the past week. We quickly realize that something has happened to Sarah over the past seven days - something that has changed her life, as she battles feelings of joy and grief.

We then rewind time back to six days earlier - Monday, November 26th. We meet Sarah again, going about her daily business of walking her dog, Mags, in Cannock Chase, located in Staffordshire, England. It is during this walk, where we find that Sarah has been suffering from painful headaches since the Friday before, and now she believes she is hearing voices. As she goes about her day, we find that Sarah is also experiencing lapses in time, blackouts, strange for her behavior, visions of people, and a sense that something just feels off about her life. Eventually, Sarah begins to try to figure out what exactly is happening to her and her mind.

The story is written in third person, with Sarah being the main focus during the first third of the book. We are introduced to other characters along the way through Sarah's memories or interactions - Steve, Rachel, Rose, Graham, David and John - and each person is given a brief background or history as they are introduced, or shortly after introducing them into the story . I very much appreciated this, as it helped flesh out Sarah the people that compose her world.

During the first third of the book, which takes place from November 26th through November 28th, focuses on Sarah's struggle to find out what is happening to her. The reader is not given any clues as to what is happening to Sarah either, and I found it humorous that at one point, Sarah echoed my thoughts exactly as to possible reasons to explain her situation. The second and third sections of the book the author takes us from following Sarah, to following a few other characters as well. While sections of the book shifts focus to other characters, Sarah does remain central to the story.

I wish I could say more about the book, but that would spoil the plotline.

The story does not leave on a cliffhanger, however, there is enough of a question left at the end of the story, that I believe will be addressed in his second novel, called Re-Union, which has not been released yet.

I give this book 4 out of 4 stars . I would say this book could be classified as a psychological mystery. I rushed through the first part of the book, eager and impatient to figure out what was going on with Sarah, and once the situation was revealed, I sped through the second half of the book to see how and what would happen. I absolutely love the author's writing style and how he executed the story. I very much look forward to more from this author.

I did not see any grammatical errors, nor any formatting errors in the Kindle version. I recommend this book for anyone who loves psychological suspense novels.

Song of the Robin
View: on Bookshelves | on Amazon

Like Fullsunmoon's review? Post a comment saying so!
Latest Review: "Song of the Robin" by R.V.Biggs
Amagine
Favorite Author: James Patterson
Bookshelf Size: 721
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-amagine.html
Latest Review: "Salome and Gogo visit Soweto" by Cora Groenewald
Reading Device: B00IKPYKWG
fav_author_id: 3251

Post by Amagine »

This seems like an interesting and suspenseful story!

Great Review! ?
"Piglet noticed that even though he had a very small heart, it could hold a rather large amount of gratitude." -A.A Milne

"I am grateful for all the books that sparked my imagination." -Unknown
Latest Review: "Salome and Gogo visit Soweto" by Cora Groenewald
lizasulit64
Currently Reading: Contact and Conflict
Bookshelf Size: 27

Post by lizasulit64 »

Its wonderful review its classifieds as psychological mystery congrats.
kandscreeley
Special Discussion Leader
Currently Reading: The Door Within
Bookshelf Size: 487
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kandscreeley.html
Latest Review: The Elf Revelation by Jordan David

Post by kandscreeley »

This does seem like an interesting plot. I'm intrigued to see what is going on with her. Thanks for the review.
A book is a dream you hold in your hands.
—Neil Gaiman
The Researcher
Currently Reading: Buried Threads
Bookshelf Size: 101
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-the-researcher.html
Latest Review: "Curve Couture" by H M Irwing
Reading Device: B00I15SB16

Post by The Researcher »

It sounds like a very intriguing read. Your review has piqued my interest. I am going to add this book to my reading list.
What is the most special thing I did today- I was MYSELF. Happy and in love and unapologetically myself.
Latest Review: "Curve Couture" by H M Irwing
Excitedreads
Favorite Book: <a href="http://forums.onlinebookclub.org/shelve ... 667">Harry Potter and the Deathly Hallows</a>
Currently Reading: Rich Woman
Bookshelf Size: 142
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-excitedreads.html
Latest Review: "Puffy and the Formidable Foe" by Marie Lepkowski and Ann Marie Hannon
Reading Device: B00J8DL78O

Post by Excitedreads »

Just my type of books. Seems like quite a suspenseful read.... kind of reminds me of The Girl on the Train.... I will definitely try this one. Thank you for your review. I'm right behind you on the psychological thriller train ;)
Between the pages of a book is a lovely place to be...
Latest Review: "Puffy and the Formidable Foe" by Marie Lepkowski and Ann Marie Hannon
Quinto
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 704
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-quinto.html
Latest Review: The Longfellah's Son: An Almost True Irish Story by Michael Cassidy

Post by Quinto »

Thanks for the review. It appears like an interesting read with a sequel. I will put it in my to read list.

Return to “Crime, Thrillers, Mystery and Horror Books”