Forum Navigation: Forum Index » Books and Reading » Reviews and Discussions about Specific Books and Series » Crime, Thrillers, Mystery and Horror Books

Want FREE books and FREE Amazon gift cards?

Each day we announce via email a book that is either FREE or on a temporary sale at a great discount price. These are not your average free books. These are incredible insider deals on well-rated books. OnlineBookClub.org is where tomorrow's bestsellers are born. We also give away over $1,000 per month of free Amazon gift cards in free daily giveaways, exclusively to those signed up to these announcements! Hurry, sign up free now:

Sorry, this proves you are human.

Official Review: Affinity's Window by Douglas L. Wilson

Please use this sub-forum to discuss any crime, thriller, mystery or horror books or series.

Official Review: Affinity's Window by Douglas L. Wilson

Post Number:#1 by MarisaRose
» 14 Aug 2017, 18:15

[Following is an official OnlineBookClub.org review of "Affinity's Window" by Douglas L. Wilson.]

Book Cover
3 out of 4 stars
Review by MarisaRose
Share This Review

Affinity’s Window by Douglas Wilson is a ghost story that fits into the horror genre. A normal child by most standards, Affinity Bell is introduced as a weary ghost, roaming around her family home, Bell Manor, as she is forced to relive the same day over and over. Her only friend, a straw haired, button eyed doll helps her maneuver the halls of her domain while also protecting her from the terrible creatures that plague her house. One day, Tanner Dann (Danny), a writer aspiring to pen a grandiose tell-all about ghosts, and his hired clairvoyant, Linda Cookmeyer, enter Bell Manor hoping to uncover the truth about Affinity Bell and her sudden disappearance years ago. However, Danny has a few secrets of his own and may be more closely linked to Bell Manor than he knows.

The characters in this book are well drawn and add to the overall story. The author does a great job making Affinity a creepily believable seven-year-old ghost. Throughout the story, there are a lot of questions surrounding Affinity’s character, and the development of her family’s peculiar past adds to the fear factor associated with Affinity’s ghost. Likewise, the clairvoyant Linda, and her even more powerful daughter, Claire, have a well-developed and complex relationship. The intimate knowledge provided about each woman’s feelings toward the other aided the believability of certain aspects of the plot. Altogether, the character development was one of the most enjoyable aspects of the story.

Affinity’s Window started off on a strong note, a clear tone of suspense and fear exuding off the pages. Unfortunately, the second half of the story lost much of that tone and began to feel obvious or contrived. Danny’s connection to Bell Manor became rather apparent about halfway through the novel, causing the climax to fall flat. Similarly, loose ends are tied up nicely, but too nicely for this type of book. Much of the fear and suspense in horror comes from the unknown. The explanations provided for events past and present took away from the overall fear factor in this story.

Lastly, though well-written, Affinity’s Window could use another round of editing. Misspelled words, like ‘cob web’ instead of ‘cobweb’ and ‘bond fire’ in place of ‘bonfire,’ and awkward phrases like ‘standing in her bedroom door’ (one cannot stand in a door, but they can stand in a ‘doorway’), though not overly distracting, make it clear that this book needs additional work.

There is a lot to like about this book, and this book will be a fun read for those who like ghost stories with a mild fear factor. However, the lack of fear and suspense towards the later part of the story and the editorial mishaps lead me to rate Affinity’s Window 3 out of 4 stars. There is definite foreshadowing for a companion book, and although there were some detractors in this novel, I will consider reading the sequel when it comes out.

Affinity's Window
View: on Bookshelves

Like MarisaRose's review? Post a comment saying so!
"No two persons ever read the same book." -Edmund Wilson
MarisaRose

Favorite Book: Harry Potter and the Prisoner of Azkaban
Currently Reading: The Western Star
Bookshelf Size: 168 books

View Reviewer Page
Reading Device: Kindle Paperwhite
2017 Reading Goal: 25 Books
Goal Completion: 316%

Did you know?

Once you join the forums and log in you will get to enjoy a very ad-reduced experience. It's easy and completely free!

Re: Official Review: Affinity's Window by Douglas L. Wilson

Post Number:#2 by Anjum
» 15 Aug 2017, 02:59

I like to read horror stories but it's disappointing that the fear factor is lost in the second half of the story. Thanks for your honest review.
Anjum

Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 13 books

View Reviewer Page
2017 Reading Goal: 0 Books
Goal Completion: 0%

Post Number:#3 by Aarush Kumar
» 15 Aug 2017, 04:07

Great review... I might read this one... I guess I'll add it to my To-Read list for now...
Aarush Kumar

Currently Reading: Disastrously Fabulous

Post Number:#4 by kandscreeley
» 15 Aug 2017, 07:21

I thought about reviewing this one myself. It looked quite intriguing. Too bad the second half falls a little short. Great review.
“There is no friend as loyal as a book.”
― Ernest Hemingway
kandscreeley's Latest Review: "The Other side:" by Seth Ramey
kandscreeley
Special Discussion Leader

Currently Reading: Strong Heart
Bookshelf Size: 100 books

View Reviewer Page
2017 Reading Goal: 100 Books
Goal Completion: 82%

Post Number:#5 by Quinto
» 15 Aug 2017, 07:51

Great review. The fact that you recommend inspite of the sloppy second part story line makes me want to check it out.I will add it to my to read list.
Quinto

Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 42 books

View Reviewer Page

Post Number:#6 by Kitkat3
» 15 Aug 2017, 18:37

I like your description of the plot. It's too bad that the second half of the book fell a little flat. Since that does make the book a little less scary, maybe that would make it better for me since I don't handle horror books really well. :lol2: Great review!
Kitkat3's Latest Review: "Black inked pearl" by Ruth finnegan
Kitkat3

Favorite Book: Milk and Honey
Currently Reading: All the Light We Cannot See
Bookshelf Size: 222 books

View Reviewer Page
2017 Reading Goal: 60 Books
Goal Completion: 40%

Post Number:#7 by Athena Moon
» 18 Aug 2017, 07:18

Thanks for the review! Despite the flaws the story sounds truly promising and the connection between characters seems to be intriguing the reader. The fact that secret unveils so quick is indeed a loss, but you make it sound interesting to read.
Athena Moon

Favorite Author: Paulo Coelho
Favorite Book: The Lovely Bones
Currently Reading: Holy Here Wholly You
Bookshelf Size: 36 books

View Reviewer Page
2017 Reading Goal: 30 Books
Goal Completion: 30%

Post Number:#8 by IsabelMay
» 18 Aug 2017, 15:37

Ghosts and horror sound great together, but I'm sad to hear it doesn't have a great ending as that's pretty much the only thing that makes difference between a good and a bad horror book. Still, it might not be that bad. Thanks for the nice review.
IsabelMay

Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 1939 books

View Reviewer Page

Post Number:#9 by klbradley
» 18 Aug 2017, 22:22

I'm a huge fan of horror. It's too bad that it looses it's fear factor within the second half of the book though.
Nice review, thank you for sharing with us!
"Every day is Halloween, isn't it? For some of us.. " -Tim Burton
klbradley's Latest Review: "Call Me Pomeroy" by James Hanna
klbradley
Bookshelves Moderator

Favorite Book: The Bridges of Madison County
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 222 books

View Reviewer Page
Reading Device: Samsung Galaxy Tab Nook Edition
2017 Reading Goal: 50 Books
Goal Completion: 44%

Post Number:#10 by RegularGuy3
» 04 Sep 2017, 14:55

Groundhog Day for horror? Sign me up?
RegularGuy3

Currently Reading:

View Reviewer Page

Post Number:#11 by MsTri
» 20 Sep 2017, 18:30

Thanks for the thorough review. It sounds like an intriguing story that I'd enjoy as long as I don't expect too much from the second half. I often figure things out long before the "big reveal" (maybe it's just the aspiring author in me?) and that can go either way; sometimes it's frustrating and ruins the fun, other times I really don't mind.

So I guess I'm on the fence now. I'll keep your review in mind if I come across the opportunity to read it and we'll see how I feel, then.
MsTri

Favorite Book: The Prodigal Son
Currently Reading: A Game of Thrones
Bookshelf Size: 69 books

View Reviewer Page

Post Number:#12 by Emmyblue
» 20 Sep 2017, 19:18

"Awkward phrases, misspelled words" but still comprehendable, nice reviews though, and i think i like this one
Emmyblue

Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 2 books