Review of Fightgirl

Please use this sub-forum to discuss any crime, thriller, mystery or horror books or series.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
Nenye Charles
Book of the Month Participant
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 96
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-nenye-charles.html
Latest Review: Smart Love by Vincent Fudge II

Review of Fightgirl

Post by Nenye Charles »

[Following is an official OnlineBookClub.org review of "Fightgirl" by Tony clark.]
Book Cover
3 out of 5 stars
Share This Review

Richard Hackman is a powerful politician and mayor running for re-election. Jessie Strick walks into his office uninvited and beats him up. She gets arrested, and she gets a lawyer named Peggy to represent her. Next, she decides to run for mayor and campaigns against the almighty Hackman. Will Jessie win this election? Or will the political forces be beyond her control and that of her team? Get this intriguing book, “Fightgirl” by Tony Clark.

This book portrays our current situation in contemporary society. The evil ones, represented by Hackman in power, fight tooth and nail to ensure continuity in politics. The likes of him spend lavishly and live off the pockets of the economy without paying attention to the needs of the citizens. Jessie is the direct opposite of Hackman, as her kind heart makes her help people around her, from saving the lady who would’ve been drugged in her drink to standing up for Leon Ford, the kid who got bullied, among other heroic acts. She is a smart and youthful force who desires to make a change in corrupt practices by winning the election. However, Peggy is beginning to have doubts about her. Does Jessie want to win this election to prove a point? Or is it something from her past?

I like how the author employs a first-person narrative, as the story is told by Peggy, Jessie’s lawyer. Again, Clark’s writing style is unique and makes it engaging for the readers. I’m intrigued by the level of suspense displayed in the book. No one knows Jessie’s motivation to contest for mayor. Everyone had questions on their lips concerning her real identity, as she seemingly came out of nowhere with wads of cash to spend. I love her magnetic personality and energetic sense of humor. She easily warms up to people, and vice versa. As a mysterious lady, even Peggy, her lawyer, has neither her home address nor phone number. I’m amazed by her daunting attitude, as she believes she can achieve anything.

There are two negative aspects I found in this book. First, I find the book’s cover quite disturbing. Although one wouldn’t understand the reason for the nudity displayed on the cover until they read the book to the end. Again, I found a few errors in the book, which means it was professionally edited. For these reasons, I rate it 3 out of 5 stars.

It is recommended for readers who love reading books laced with humour and suspense. Again, if you’re in for shocking plot twists, you should definitely get this book. Due to the level of violence and profanity in the book, I would recommend this book to adult readers.

Fightgirl
View: on Bookshelves

Return to “Crime, Thrillers, Mystery and Horror Books”