Official Review: Weakness by Charlie Green

Please use this sub-forum to discuss any crime, thriller, mystery or horror books or series.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
jwalker73
Currently Reading: The Good Mother
Bookshelf Size: 291
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-jwalker73.html
Latest Review: The Truth About Parallel Lines by Jill D. Block
Reading Device: B00JG8GOWU

Official Review: Weakness by Charlie Green

Post by jwalker73 »

[Following is an official OnlineBookClub.org review of "Weakness" by Charlie Green.]
Book Cover
4 out of 4 stars
Share This Review

Weakness is Charlie Green’s debut novel. It is a crime fiction narrative that explores the world of drug trading and examines the risks people are willing to take for money.

The story begins with Ricardo Brown, or Rick, a black drug dealer from Washington, DC, who is facing his second imprisonment for dealing cocaine. During his incarceration, Rick reflects on his life and contemplates what he should do when he is released. Should he make a fresh start? Should he return to selling drugs? Rick has not been in prison long when he overhears some inmates discussing the profits they made dealing heroin, earning up to fifty thousand dollars a day. Upon hearing this, the direction of Rick’s future is decided. Subsequently, Rick’s incarceration, rather than being a deterrent for repeating the same mistakes, becomes a place to further develop criminal skills, knowledge and contacts. Planning for the future gives Rick a focus. He begins his education, learning all he can about heroin, his goal being to supply a high-quality product. Rick confides his intentions to Larenzo, or Zo, an inmate he has developed trust in. Zo informs Rick that his stepfather, Jake, sells heroin. Unable to believe his luck, Rick enters a partnership with Zo. Finally, his plan is complete and, upon his release, Rick sets out to put this plan into fruition. What follows takes the reader into the world of drugs, greed, relationships, money and street smarts.

Most of this book is written in the first-person, telling the story through Rick's eyes. During chapters where Rick is absent, the third person perspective is adopted. The dialogue between the characters is predominately Washington slang and, once familiar with this style and language, the novel proves to be an easy read.

The novel appears to be professionally edited, however, there were still a few errors discovered. It was interesting to note that all the mistakes found would have evaded detection by a spellchecker since they were not spelling mistakes per se, but, rather, correctly spelled words used incorrectly. Consequently, these faults would only be identifiable through proofreading. Examples included ‘no’ instead of ‘on’ and ‘two nails’ rather than ‘toe nails’.

My favourite aspect of this book was the telling of Rick’s story using the first-person perspective. This allowed the reader to develop an intimate relationship with Rick’s character and experience his thought processes, logic and rationale. It also invited the reader to walk the tightrope alongside Rick and see how one wrong move can lead to a massive fall. I felt the author excelled at creating an intimacy between the reader and protagonist. I became so engrossed in Rick’s story that I forgot my own personal morals, ethics and stance on drugs for the duration of the book. I found myself wanting Rick to come out of the ordeal safely and evade the ever-watchful eyes of the police. I think the author’s success in achieving this was enhanced by his decision to create a protagonist that was so likeable. The nonviolent characteristics displayed by Rick were refreshing and I had a profound respect for the intelligence his character displayed.

The only thing I disliked about this novel was the amount of time dedicated to Rick’s superficial relationships. Rick had numerous affairs throughout the book and, while some were relevant to the storyline, many were not. It was at this point that the pace of the story slowed somewhat. I believe the unnecessary liaisons detracted from the story and the author may have been better off omitting them. Fortunately, after these encounters, it did not take long for the pace to ramp back up, making this temporary lull seem trivial in comparison to the rest of the story.

Rick’s other relationships were more intriguing. Rick identified three people in his life who loved him unconditionally: his grandmother, his daughter and his partner. Rick claimed to reciprocate their love although, at one point, he admitted his love for money was greater than that for his partner. Despite my fondness for Rick, there were times I despised him for what he put his family through. This left me questioning just how much value Rick truly placed on his relationships. I also found it interesting that, during this book, two references were made about Rick’s son but, other than these, there was no further mention of this child. This left me curious about what this relationship consisted of and why the son did not play a significant part in Rick's life.

Overall this novel was an amazing read, with an ending that was both unpredictable and powerful. Never have I been confronted with so many emotions in one story. I rated this book 4 out of 4 stars. I did contemplate detracting a star due to the temporary lull, but the intensity throughout the rest of the book wholly made up for this. This book rendered me speechless and, I feel, any book capable of achieving such a result deserves the four stars I have awarded, anything less would be unjust. I would recommend this book to any reader who appreciates a story with a twist.

Weakness
View: on Bookshelves | on Amazon

Like jwalker73's review? Post a comment saying so!
kandscreeley
Special Discussion Leader
Currently Reading: The Door Within
Bookshelf Size: 487
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kandscreeley.html
Latest Review: The Elf Revelation by Jordan David

Post by kandscreeley »

Wow! This definitely sounds really intriguing. I don't know if I've read anything like this before. Thanks for a lovely review.
A book is a dream you hold in your hands.
—Neil Gaiman
jwalker73

Post by jwalker73 »

Thank you very much for taking the time to read and respond to my review.
Wow! This definitely sounds really intriguing. I don't know if I've read anything like this before.
'Wow' was the only word I could say when I finished the book! This was a very difficult review to write as I was left wondering how to do justice to a book that was so effectively summarised by this three-lettered response. It definitely was a unique read.
Athena Moon
Favorite Author: Paulo Coelho
Favorite Book: <a href="http://forums.onlinebookclub.org/shelve ... =3217">The Lovely Bones</a>
Currently Reading: The Piketty Problem
Bookshelf Size: 54
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-athena-moon.html
Latest Review: And Then I Met Margaret by Rob White
fav_author_id: 2451

Post by Athena Moon »

Enticing story with quite interesting approach to the criminal world. I am curious to find the main character being wise and using his head to appease his craving for money, but unfortunately illegal way. A person with his personality and drive could have achieved greater things if it weren't for the only way of crime he knew. Thanks for the review!
The Researcher
Currently Reading: Buried Threads
Bookshelf Size: 101
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-the-researcher.html
Latest Review: "Curve Couture" by H M Irwing
Reading Device: B00I15SB16

Post by The Researcher »

Very nice review ! Your review made me go and grab a copy of this book. I also think that the author could have let go of some of the superficial relationships in the book.
What is the most special thing I did today- I was MYSELF. Happy and in love and unapologetically myself.
Latest Review: "Curve Couture" by H M Irwing
jwalker73

Post by jwalker73 »

Your review made me go and grab a copy of this book.
Thank you for your feedback. I hope you enjoy the book and are as surprised by the ending as I was. It was a great first novel for this author. I look forward to watching him grow as a writer and reading more of his work.
Excitedreads
Favorite Book: <a href="http://forums.onlinebookclub.org/shelve ... 667">Harry Potter and the Deathly Hallows</a>
Currently Reading: Rich Woman
Bookshelf Size: 142
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-excitedreads.html
Latest Review: "Puffy and the Formidable Foe" by Marie Lepkowski and Ann Marie Hannon
Reading Device: B00J8DL78O

Post by Excitedreads »

This one seems interesting. I've never read one quite like this... I like that you had a kind of love -hate relationship with Rick while reading. I'm suspecting that would have added to some of the suspense and drama in the novel. Thank you for a well thought out review!
Between the pages of a book is a lovely place to be...
Latest Review: "Puffy and the Formidable Foe" by Marie Lepkowski and Ann Marie Hannon
KlareAllison
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 238
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-klareallison.html
Latest Review: "Health Tips, Myths, and Tricks" by Morton E. Tavel

Post by KlareAllison »

The portrait of Ricardo Brown in this narrative is a familiar one where the prison provides more opportunities for convicted individuals to get involved in more serious crimes. In this instance, Ricardo graduates from peddling cocaine to heroine. From the review, this book sounds interesting with its themes around money, greed, relationships and the dark world of drugs. Nice review, jwalker73.
"Sometimes I find myself sitting in one spot for hours, staring at nothing, feeling nothing, and most disturbingly, caring about nothing".

- Mahbod Seraji, Rooftops of Tehran
Latest Review: "Health Tips, Myths, and Tricks" by Morton E. Tavel
Kate Ransley
Bookshelf Size: 3

Post by Kate Ransley »

This sounds like a very different story. It is not a book I would have considered reading, but your review has changed my mind. I enjoy books that have an unpredictable ending and provide a different reading experience than expected. It is always interesting to get a view into the minds of the characters and this book sounds like it achieved that very well.
kimmyschemy06
Currently Reading: The Searching Three
Bookshelf Size: 694
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kimmyschemy06.html
Latest Review: Kazi Boku by M. Poyhonen

Post by kimmyschemy06 »

Sounds like an interesting and enjoyable book and Rick seems like a relatable character. Great job on the review.
jwalker73

Post by jwalker73 »

Thank you for taking the time to read my review. I certainly enjoyed this author and will be interested in reading his next book.
juliusotinyo
Bookshelf Size: 49
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-juliusotinyo.html
Latest Review: Marrying a Playboy Billionaire by H M Irwing

Post by juliusotinyo »

KlareAllison wrote:The portrait of Ricardo Brown in this narrative is a familiar one where the prison provides more opportunities for convicted individuals to get involved in more serious crimes. In this instance, Ricardo graduates from peddling cocaine to heroine. From the review, this book sounds interesting with its themes around money, greed, relationships and the dark world of drugs. Nice review, jwalker73.
Modern incarceration tends to not meet its purpose. I agree with Klare. Great review.
gali
Previous Member of the Month
Favorite Author: Agatha Christie
Currently Reading: Pride and Prejudice in Space
Bookshelf Size: 2288
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-gali.html
Reading Device: B00I15SB16
Publishing Contest Votes: 0
fav_author_id: 2484

Post by gali »

A story exploring the world of drugs, greed, money from the POV of a drug dealer sounds intriguing. Too bad about the temporary lull in the tale. Not my cup of tea, but I am glad you enjoyed the book despite its flaws. Thank you for the review!
A retired Admin/Mod

Pronouns: She/Her

"In the case of good books, the point is not to see how many of them you can get through, but rather how many can get through to you." (Mortimer J. Adler)
Strangerthanfiction
Currently Reading: Night Seeker
Bookshelf Size: 304
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-strangerthanfiction.html

Post by Strangerthanfiction »

Nice review. This isn’t typically a book that I would choose for myself but your review has me quite intrigued. That Rick turns out to be so likable despite the fact that he is a criminal looking to become a bigger criminal says a lot about this authors writing. I find myself thinking that taking a look into Ricks world of darkness, drugs, greed, money and street smarts will be interesting after all. Thanks so much for sharing.
“You know you’ve read a good book when you turn the last page and feel a little as if you have lost a friend.” – Paul Sweeney
GCamer
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 484
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-gcamer.html
Latest Review: Finding A Job in Tough Times by Dr. Tim Johnson

Post by GCamer »

I love stories with twists. They keep you hooked all throughout. And when you say,
an amazing read, with an ending that was both unpredictable and powerful.
it makes me more interested. Thanks for the great review.

Return to “Crime, Thrillers, Mystery and Horror Books”