Review of Winter Kill

Please use this sub-forum to discuss any crime, thriller, mystery or horror books or series.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
Clauson Justin
Book of the Month Participant
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 65
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-clauson-justin.html
Latest Review: 300 Dollars and 3 Suitcases What's Next? by Dwayne M. Thomas

Review of Winter Kill

Post by Clauson Justin »

[Following is an official OnlineBookClub.org review of "Winter Kill" by ej pepper.]
Book Cover
5 out of 5 stars
Share This Review

“Winter Kill” by E. J. Pepper is a mystery novel that certainly gives Sherlock Holmes a run for his money. This fiction story focuses more on telling a great crime story from the perspective of the several suspects involved in the crime. A downtrodden journalist, Oliver Moorhouse, who seems to be carrying along with life and satisfying the several grumbles of his girlfriend, gets thrown into a murder case when his chief editor links him up for a story with a dubious member of the House of Lords. It becomes even more complicated when Ollie finds himself under the bus as the prime suspect when his informant, Lord Hamish, is murdered. This is made worse by the fact that Ollie has no way to explain the event that led up to the murder, nor is he ready to give up the fact that he broke into the home of another member of the House of Lords during the event of the murder. Eventually realizing that nobody is going to believe him, he takes on the responsibility of breaking the true story amidst several interesting plots playing out in the homes of Lord Leebury and his friend Greg Jacobs. 

There are several positives to the book. Telling the story from the perspective of the suspects has certainly given the tale a chilly feeling similar to the thrill in Dostoevsky’s "Crime and Punishment" while still maintaining the suspense of a criminal mystery. More often, readers of crime stories are stuck with detectives as they try to crack a crime case. E. J. Pepper rather lets her readers through the story, insights, and backstories of the suspects themselves. The author, in a good way, got me hooked on the emotions of the suspects rather than the excitement of a detective’s mystery-solving. Also, the author has done a good job of leaving her audience suspecting and has done an even better job of shattering all expectations in a good way. Also, the book was properly proofread and edited. The story structure has also made it an amazing read. 

The book has not compromised much on the negative side. However, I would have found it fulfilling if all the knots were wholly tied up. I was left in the loop regarding a lot of issues. The book was a gripping success and kept me plunging through the mystery. This and other reasons made reading the book very fulfilling. I give the book five out of five stars. 

I recommend this book to lovers of crime stories and detective TV shows, as well as everyone who loves a good thrill and mystery every now and then. If you enjoy Agatha Christie-type whodunits, this book would be a great read.

Winter Kill
View: on Bookshelves | on Amazon

Return to “Crime, Thrillers, Mystery and Horror Books”