Official Review: Blood Memory Society by D.A.Field

Please use this sub-forum to discuss any crime, thriller, mystery or horror books or series.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
micoleon13
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 96
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-micoleon13.html
Latest Review: Sandusky Burning by Bryan W. Conway

Official Review: Blood Memory Society by D.A.Field

Post by micoleon13 »

[Following is an official OnlineBookClub.org review of "Blood Memory Society" by D.A.Field.]
Book Cover
4 out of 4 stars
Share This Review

Think of how much our memories shape who we are, not only as a person, but how we learn. Now, imagine that you have not only your own memories but that of your parents, your grandparents, your great grandparents and so on, back hundreds of years. Think of how much you could accomplish! This is the intriguing concept brought to life in D. A. Field’s brilliant novel Blood Memory Society.

When Will, a well-respected doctor, is contacted by his old friend out of the blue to urgently come to Washington, he has no idea what to expect. Will, in his break through research in fertility studies, has come to the attention of a certain group of people, a secret society spanning centuries, and they have a proposition for him.

Will learns that over the years, there have been certain people who have what’s called Inherited Memory, passed on through the DNA of their parents letting them access memories of generations before them. The resulting memories lead to an incredible amount of knowledge and those that have it are geniuses in their field. However, there are very few of these people left and Will’s expertise in fertility is vital in ensuring their survival. What’s worse is that someone is targeting these people and will stop at nothing to wipe them out. With enemies on every side, Will finds himself right in the middle of treacherous plot. Who can he trust with not only his own life, but that of Victoria, who has the oldest memories of them all?

Brilliantly written, this book takes an almost unbelievable concept, mixes it with fact and makes it utterly believable. Written in third person, it follows the main character, Will, as he is drawn further and further into a web of both knowledge and deceit. All the characters are incredibly realistic and vividly portrayed, which makes it even more surprising when traitors are revealed. Both Will and Victoria are very likeable characters with relatable flaws, which makes the reader want them to succeed even more.

Set in the United States, the characters travel all over, from Florida, to the Bahamas and to California, just to name a few. The settings and their natural beauty contrast well with the chaos and turmoil Will and Victoria are going through.

The story is fast paced and action packed right from the start making it very difficult to put down. It’s one of those books that will have you thinking about it for days afterwards. There are a lot of scientific and technical terms, especially at the beginning of the book, which may put some readers off, but persevere past this and it is well worth it.

This book was a refreshing surprise from other crime and thriller books as the concept of inherited memory is so interesting and can be used to describe geniuses such as Einstein, Beethoven and Tessla. It was flawless story and I rate it a solid 4 out of 4 stars. Any readers who enjoy new concepts backed up with scientific facts, mind altering revelations, as well as good old fashioned action and mystery, then this book is for you. As the first of a series, the cliff-hanger it ended on was spectacular and I can’t wait to read the next book.

Blood Memory Society
View: on Bookshelves

Like micoleon13's review? Post a comment saying so!
Jaime Lync
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 120
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-jaime-lync.html
Latest Review: You Are A Christian. NOW WHAT? by James Rondinone

Post by Jaime Lync »

An amazing review for an amazing book! Inherited memory seems like a double edged sword but the concept is cool. I definitely want to read this. Thank you!
bookiegalke
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 58
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-bookiegalke.html
Latest Review: One Way or Another by Mary J. Williams

Post by bookiegalke »

I've never heard of inherited memory so this should be an interesting read for me. thanks for the good review.
'if you encounter a man of rare intellect, you should ask him what books he reads'
Ralph Waldo Emerson
Dolphine
Currently Reading: Solid Stone
Bookshelf Size: 23

Post by Dolphine »

How is memory inherited?
Afuglsan
Currently Reading: The Masked City
Bookshelf Size: 5445
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-afuglsan.html
Latest Review: "STARLESS and Bible Black" by Gerard DiLeo

Post by Afuglsan »

This book sounds fascinating. I like the concept of being able to access older generations' memories. It almost sounds like an X-men-type superpower. Great review.
Latest Review: "STARLESS and Bible Black" by Gerard DiLeo
LadyPudu
Bookshelf Size: 8
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-ladypudu.html
Latest Review: "Heaven and Earth" by Arturo Riojas

Post by LadyPudu »

That would be incredible, having access to past generations memories! I like that it is also believable.
Latest Review: "Heaven and Earth" by Arturo Riojas
derekkirima
Currently Reading: The Wicked Wives
Bookshelf Size: 39

Post by derekkirima »

I find the idea of inherited memory quite fascinating and though believable as you put it, I wonder how it can impact life if scientists in our generation are able to make available passing of the DNA with ability to access memories of generations before us, from mother to child available to all people which means we can have a society of geniuses like those mentioned in the review. I also like the various descriptions you give the book like how it's brilliantly written, fast paced, action packed, and all this combined with the Inherited Memory part will make many readers of CTMH genres be attracted to read it. Thanks for the superb review.
kandscreeley
Special Discussion Leader
Currently Reading: The Door Within
Bookshelf Size: 487
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kandscreeley.html
Latest Review: The Elf Revelation by Jordan David

Post by kandscreeley »

I want to read this one. It sounds quite exciting. Thanks for a good review.
A book is a dream you hold in your hands.
—Neil Gaiman
Anjum
Bookshelf Size: 18
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-anjum.html
Latest Review: "The Elf Brief" by Jordan David

Post by Anjum »

I have never heard of inherited memory before but it definitely sounds interesting. Thanks for the review.
Latest Review: "The Elf Brief" by Jordan David
Quinto
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 704
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-quinto.html
Latest Review: The Longfellah's Son: An Almost True Irish Story by Michael Cassidy

Post by Quinto »

Thanks for you great review. Additionally, the title and plot are intriguing enough to provoke a curious read.
MrsCatInTheHat
Favorite Book: Cry the Beloved Country
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 376
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-mrscatinthehat.html
Latest Review: Marc Marci by Larry G. Goldsmith
Reading Device: B00JG8GOWU
Publishing Contest Votes: 0

Post by MrsCatInTheHat »

This sounds like a completely different concept than I've seen in novels before. It's nice to see a review and not think "I can guess how this one goes".
Life without a good book is something MrsCatInTheHat cannot imagine.
Athena Moon
Favorite Author: Paulo Coelho
Favorite Book: <a href="http://forums.onlinebookclub.org/shelve ... =3217">The Lovely Bones</a>
Currently Reading: The Piketty Problem
Bookshelf Size: 54
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-athena-moon.html
Latest Review: And Then I Met Margaret by Rob White
fav_author_id: 2451

Post by Athena Moon »

It reminds me of the The Da Vinci Code; same topic of heredity but in this case it is memory. Intriguing story with the man protecting special woman. I simply love this kind of plots! Thanks for the review!
IsabelMay
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 3761
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-isabelmay.html
Latest Review: "Anna's Journey" by Gerald Miller

Post by IsabelMay »

You had me at ''fast paced and action packed from the start'', I just love that type of books. The premise sounds interesting too, not something that's already been written about in other books. Thank you for the nice review.
Latest Review: "Anna's Journey" by Gerald Miller
Liliya
Favorite Book: <a href="http://forums.onlinebookclub.org/shelve ... ">Tangible Spirits</a>
Bookshelf Size: 1249
Reading Device: B00GQDBZUY

Post by Liliya »

This sounds like a highly interesting book right up my alley. It was a brilliantly awesome review, not too long, not too short, and with just enough information to awaken the curiosity to read. I very much appreciated that you didnt post spolers (some tend to tell all in a review even the outcome and that is so bad). Thank you kindly for awakening my curiosity to a new book ? Now I just got to read it ? (Not that I admit being a book addict lol).

Return to “Crime, Thrillers, Mystery and Horror Books”