Forum Navigation: Forum Index » Books and Reading » Reviews and Discussions about Specific Books and Series » Crime, Thrillers, Mystery and Horror Books

Want FREE books and FREE Amazon gift cards?

Each day we announce via email a book that is either FREE or on a temporary sale at a great discount price. These are not your average free books. These are incredible insider deals on well-rated books. OnlineBookClub.org is where tomorrow's bestsellers are born. We also give away over $1,000 per month of free Amazon gift cards in free daily giveaways, exclusively to those signed up to these announcements! Hurry, sign up free now:

Sorry, this proves you are human.

Official Review: Kind Nepenthe by Matthew Brockmeyer

Please use this sub-forum to discuss any crime, thriller, mystery or horror books or series.

Official Review: Kind Nepenthe by Matthew Brockmeyer

Post Number:#1 by klbradley
» 28 Jul 2017, 12:40

[Following is an official OnlineBookClub.org review of "Kind Nepenthe" by Matthew Brockmeyer.]

Book Cover
4 out of 4 stars
Review by klbradley
Share This Review

Kind Nepenthe is an emerging dark horror story written by Matthew Brockmeyer. Featuring a cast of 5 main characters, this story has twists and turns that will be a true pulling factor for thriller readers everywhere. With a building suspense, this novel gets darker and darker as the pages turn.

This story takes place deep in the hills of Humboldt County in modern-day Northern California and bounces back and forth from one story to another, all the while conjoining the two in a twisted relation. Rebecca seems to be the spotlighted main character, and is a hippie, plain and simple. Determined to teach her daughter how to live off the land, she moves with her boyfriend, Calendula, and daughter, Megan, to grow marijuana until they have saved enough to purchase their own land. Coyote is the owner of the pot-growing land, with doubting feelings about continuing with the business due to a decline in sales. Diesel and DJ, father and son, feel that they are owed a significant amount of money from Coyote, as the land is rightfully theirs.

The intertwining story that pulls these characters together is full of twists and turns. From the title, “Nepenthe” means sorrow or trouble, and that’s exactly what comes along with the daring story brought to light by Brockmeyer. Along with some troubling characters and their past experiences, there are also some lingering ghosts present on their fertile land, and those ghosts are refusing to leave. From extensive drug use to explicit sexual depictions, this story is certainly not for the faint-hearted. Things quickly start to turn from bad to worse, and the supernatural beings seem to only enhance the darkness that follows these characters on their journey.

I was pleasantly surprised with how the flow of this story was structured. There were no lagging chapters or parts that I felt like rushing through to get to the “good stuff.” The slow burning build of suspense allowed time to know the characters and become interested in their endeavors. Although I didn’t feel a connection to any of the characters in the story, they were all well-depicted and each given their own specific personality. I was also pleased with the editing of the story, as I found no errors throughout my read.

As I have said multiple times, I’m a huge fan of thriller stories and Kind Nepenthe did not disappoint. I’m happy to rate this book 4 out of 4 stars and would gladly recommend it to other readers who enjoy dark and twisted thriller stories. It’s also a good choice for readers who enjoy ghost stories, but would like something a bit different than the traditional stories told.

Kind Nepenthe
View: on Bookshelves

Like klbradley's review? Post a comment saying so!
She reads books as one would breathe air, to fill up and live. -Annie Dillard
klbradley's Latest Review: "The Robber Of Youth" by Keith Julius
klbradley

Favorite Book: The Bridges of Madison County
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 216 books

View Reviewer Page
Reading Device: Samsung Galaxy Tab Nook Edition
2017 Reading Goal: 50 Books
Goal Completion: 38%

Did you know?

Once you join the forums and log in you will get to enjoy a very ad-reduced experience. It's easy and completely free!

Re: Official Review: Kind Nepenthe by Matthew Brockmeyer

Post Number:#2 by kandscreeley
» 28 Jul 2017, 15:43

This sounds like it might be a little too dark and explicit for me. Nevertheless, it does sound quite intriguing. I'm glad you enjoyed it at least. Thanks for the lovely review.
“There is no friend as loyal as a book.”
― Ernest Hemingway
kandscreeley
Special Discussion Leader

Currently Reading: Luna
Bookshelf Size: 88 books

View Reviewer Page
2017 Reading Goal: 100 Books
Goal Completion: 71%

Post Number:#3 by klbradley
» 28 Jul 2017, 15:47

Thank you!
klbradley

Currently Reading:

View Reviewer Page

Post Number:#4 by ZenaLei7
» 28 Jul 2017, 16:47

I usually don't read dark thrillers so I think I'll pass on this book. Great job on the review!
“The only important thing in a book is the meaning that it has for you.” - W. Somerset Maugham
ZenaLei7's Latest Review: "Strong Heart" by Charlie Sheldon
ZenaLei7

Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 52 books

View Reviewer Page
2017 Reading Goal: 100 Books
Goal Completion: 46%

Post Number:#5 by LadyClaire
» 28 Jul 2017, 16:50

The book seems well written especially with the smooth flow that was maintained despite the bouncing around of story line. Thanks for the review. It's really informative but I think I'll skip it though. I don't like explicit scenes.
To be without some of the things you want is an indispensable part of happiness.
-Bertrand Russel
LadyClaire

Currently Reading: My Trip To Adele
Bookshelf Size: 52 books

View Reviewer Page
Goal Completion: 2%

Post Number:#6 by klbradley
» 28 Jul 2017, 16:57

Thanks for checking it out!
klbradley

Currently Reading:

View Reviewer Page

Post Number:#7 by Kalin Adi
» 28 Jul 2017, 22:53

I do not like horror and ghost stories at all. I'm a pure coward, but I appreciate your honest review on this book.
Kalin Adi's Latest Review: "Followed my Star" by AR Annahita
Kalin Adi

Currently Reading: The Expansion
Bookshelf Size: 82 books

View Reviewer Page
2017 Reading Goal: 5 Books
Goal Completion: 760%

Post Number:#8 by klbradley
» 29 Jul 2017, 05:32

Thank you!