Official Review: The Expansion by Christoph Martin

Please use this sub-forum to discuss any crime, thriller, mystery or horror books or series.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
Jax14
Favorite Author: Stephen King
Currently Reading: The Thursday Murder Club
Bookshelf Size: 547
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-jax14.html
Latest Review: Lost on the Edge of Eternity by Jonathan Floyd
Reading Device: B00JG8GOWU
Publishing Contest Votes: 2
fav_author_id: 2376

Official Review: The Expansion by Christoph Martin

Post by Jax14 »

[Following is an official OnlineBookClub.org review of "The Expansion" by Christoph Martin.]
Book Cover
3 out of 4 stars
Share This Review

The Expansion is a standalone thriller filled with espionage, revenge, betrayal and family feuds.

All his life Max has lived with the betrayal of his parents. Faced with arrest after conning people into a scheme, Edward and Helen Burns end their lives when they intentionally crash their getaway helicopter, leaving Max to be brought up by his uncle on a housing estate; a far cry from his expensive boarding school in Zuoz. Fast forward and Max has been invited by Godfredo, a childhood friend, to work with his father on a massive bid for a project on the expansion of the Panama Canal. Little does Max know that the countries and people bidding behind the scenes for the project have hidden agendas and that he is soon going to be caught up in a web of lies that might be more than he can handle. After all, if a government wants you gone, what chance do you really have?

A number of relationships are concentrated on in the book. The bond between Max and Godfredo is threatened when Godfredo’s father Paco is found to be making deals behind deals. Godfredo and Paco’s relationship is extremely dysfunctional and I began to understand a little of why Godfredo behaved like he did. A bit more of a back story, however, would have been helpful as there is a scene where Godfredo wants to resort to violence to express his anger and I really wondered what pushed him to get there. Max meets Karis who works for the Smithsonian Institute and their relationship is renewed a few years later when Max learns that Karis is hiding quite a secret. Other peripheral characters don’t play huge parts but add to the dimensions of the story.

I was very ambivalent about the book as I didn’t hate it but it didn’t really make an impact on me. In fact I read it twice as I was wondering why I couldn’t remember anything outstanding and I actually picked up quite a bit the second time round which made me question as to why it didn’t stand out in the first read. The book hops between corporate corruption and spy thriller and I felt this detracted somewhat from what I expected to read. The story starts with a bang and I thought I was in for a wild ride but then it plods along at a slow pace until just before the end then jumps into warp speed again. This races to the finish and then the book is over. Just like that. I was left wanting more. I found Max’s character very gullible and the “secret” that Karis holds of a “world changing balance of power” which is promised in the blurb is hardly of epic proportions. The scene that starts the book is alluded to later but I thought for such a revelation it could have been woven into the narrative a bit more.

What I did appreciate about the book was the good editing; only a few mistakes popped out which made the flow of reading very comfortable. The idea for the story was a good one, but too many tangents or even character stories felt unfulfilled.

The Expansion is a good afternoon read but not the high octane one I expected so I rate it 3 out of 4 stars and recommend it for mature YA and up, especially those who enjoy a quick thriller.

The Expansion
View: on Bookshelves | on Amazon | on iTunes

Like Jax14's review? Post a comment saying so!
kandscreeley
Special Discussion Leader
Currently Reading: Believarexic
Bookshelf Size: 486
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kandscreeley.html
Latest Review: The Elf Revelation by Jordan David

Post by kandscreeley »

It's nice when the book has good editing. I started this one, but it was a little slow for my taste. Thanks for the review, though.
A book is a dream you hold in your hands.
—Neil Gaiman
Kalin Adi
Currently Reading: Island Games
Bookshelf Size: 141
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kalin-adi.html
Latest Review: French for Girls by JP Wright

Post by Kalin Adi »

It´s interesting you mentioned the excitement of the story comes and goes, maybe that´s why you had to read the book twice. Thanks for providing that information!
Dafys
Currently Reading: The Expansion
Bookshelf Size: 0

Post by Dafys »

You have to read the book over again to understand. Though, its a nice editing that number of relationships are concentrated on in the book.
Gadwill
Currently Reading: Pride and Prejudice
Bookshelf Size: 15

Post by Gadwill »

Needs depth and understanding..that may only be achieved by reading the book more than once thank you
Jaime Lync
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 120
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-jaime-lync.html
Latest Review: You Are A Christian. NOW WHAT? by James Rondinone

Post by Jaime Lync »

I just read the sample on Amazon and I see what you mean that the story starts awesome but then it goes meh.
godfrey msonde
Currently Reading: Superhighway

Post by godfrey msonde »

Good review. Interesting to read max story
The Researcher
Currently Reading: Buried Threads
Bookshelf Size: 101
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-the-researcher.html
Latest Review: "Curve Couture" by H M Irwing
Reading Device: B00I15SB16

Post by The Researcher »

Nice review! The books sure promises a nice read. Too bad about the weak stronghold of the storyline in the latter phase.
What is the most special thing I did today- I was MYSELF. Happy and in love and unapologetically myself.
Latest Review: "Curve Couture" by H M Irwing
eileen warui
Bookshelf Size: 2

Post by eileen warui »

The expansion is quite interesting especially because it has a simple language that one can easily understand however I found Max's character very soft and gullible which was quite the contrary to what I expected it's thrilling aspect at some point was also quite interesting thumbs up to the author generally this is a book I would read a second time which is quite good
kislany
Previous Member of the Month
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 527
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kislany.html
Latest Review: Golden Skies by Juan Zapata

Post by kislany »

The topic of the book is really right up my alley, however I'm not so sure if I want to read it now that you mentioned that it became sort of forgettable towards the middle till the end. I did enjoy reading your review though, so who knows. Kudos to you for reading the book twice!
aussiebooklover
Currently Reading: Absolute Power
Bookshelf Size: 37

Post by aussiebooklover »

I don't agree with your review at all! I loved every chapter, as I found each had a meaning and its importance for the final - and very unexpected - showdown. I especially liked the female characters (Karis, Fisher, Sofia) and the very likable Alan ... I agree that the story does not fit the typical thriller genre where killings happen on every page ... and exactly this I found very appealing!
David Blinks

Post by David Blinks »

The golden kingdom

-- 03 Aug 2017, 18:00 --

The Devin healer

-- 03 Aug 2017, 18:02 --

God" Palace is for each and everyone of as
Julios
Bookshelf Size: 5

Post by Julios »

Its really good that there were books like this
., u need a better understandinge as the story goes on
mumoscar
Currently Reading: The Sword Swallower and a Chico Kid
Bookshelf Size: 51
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-mumoscar.html
Latest Review: Forbidden Someday by M. Acen
Reading Device: B00JG8GOWU

Post by mumoscar »

A nice review! Thanks for pointing to us what to expect. I will be keen if will read it because I would hate to do it twice.
Titus Michael
Currently Reading: River's Remorse
Bookshelf Size: 47

Post by Titus Michael »

The book is nice and really interesting, after going through the book, I felt like going over and over just for fun. :D

Return to “Crime, Thrillers, Mystery and Horror Books”