Official Review: Indictment of Johnson County

Please use this sub-forum to discuss any crime, thriller, mystery or horror books or series.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
MarisaRose
Previous Member of the Month
Favorite Book: <a href="http://forums.onlinebookclub.org/shelve ... 665">Harry Potter and the Prisoner of Azkaban</a>
Currently Reading: The Family Upstairs
Bookshelf Size: 435
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-marisarose.html
Latest Review: The Magic Shard by eelonqa K harris
Reading Device: B00JG8GOWU

Official Review: Indictment of Johnson County

Post by MarisaRose »

[Following is an official OnlineBookClub.org review of "Indictment of Johnson County" by Winston Legge.]
Book Cover
1 out of 4 stars
Share This Review

Indictment of Johnson County by Winston Legge is a fictionalized account of one county in southern Alabama and the various figures associated with the county. A vast cast of characters make up this story, including less-than-wholesome lawyers, members of the mafia and cartel, corrupt politicians, and two every-day childhood friends. Many themes are touched upon in this book, from religion and homosexuality to betrayal and lost love. Overall, Indictment of Johnson County is an intricate and dynamic story.

The narrative is written in passive voice, and almost no dialogue is used in the story. Instead of dialogue or action, current and past events are described through wordy explanations; however, important information is often left out. For example, long descriptions of places, historical references, and meals are provided, yet almost no description of the characters’ personalities or appearances, other than their heritage, is ever offered.

Similarly, an overwhelming number of characters are introduced that have no real bearing on the overarching plot. Many chapters begin with a new character and a summary of their early life, education, relationships and so on, but most of these characters are never mentioned again. This digressive writing style impeded important plot development and diminished any feelings of suspense. If not for the main story arc, this book would be better suited as a series of short stories.

The primary thread the plot follows has plenty of potential. Certain plot elements had the possibility of being impactful, and the ending could have been really explosive and emotional. Unfortunately, the meandering storytelling the author employs significantly hindered the story’s potential and led to a flat plot and uninvolved ending. In general, the twists and turns in the characters’ lives feel like afterthoughts instead of full-fledged plot points.

Further, the outlines of a few compelling characters are drawn in the novel, yet none of the characters are ever brought to life. The passive writing style and lack of action or dialogue make it difficult to establish a connection with the main characters. Similarly, because of the overwhelming number of characters introduced in the novel, none were well developed or even likable. By the end of the story, it didn’t matter what happened to the characters because the author failed to establish an emotional relationship via empathy or understanding between the reader and the main characters.

Buried in the tedious writing style and mass of characters found in this book is a truly interesting character sketch of some fascinating people residing in a unique place. Sadly, the potential for an impactful and exciting story is lost in Indictment of Johnson County. In addition, there were many instances of misused commas and run-on sentences that showed a clear lack of proper editing. Therefore, I rate this book 1 out of 4 stars. If the writing style were more engaging and the characters were better developed, I would have considered a higher rating.

Indictment of Johnson County
View: on Bookshelves | on Amazon

Like MarisaRose's review? Post a comment saying so!
kandscreeley
Special Discussion Leader
Currently Reading: The Door Within
Bookshelf Size: 487
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kandscreeley.html
Latest Review: The Elf Revelation by Jordan David

Post by kandscreeley »

Wow. This definitely sounds like a no for me. To many characters and too little going on. Thanks for the review. Sorry it wasn't a good read for you.
A book is a dream you hold in your hands.
—Neil Gaiman
MarisaRose
Previous Member of the Month
Favorite Book: <a href="http://forums.onlinebookclub.org/shelve ... 665">Harry Potter and the Prisoner of Azkaban</a>
Currently Reading: The Family Upstairs
Bookshelf Size: 435
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-marisarose.html
Latest Review: The Magic Shard by eelonqa K harris

Post by MarisaRose »

kandscreeley wrote:Wow. This definitely sounds like a no for me. To many characters and too little going on. Thanks for the review. Sorry it wasn't a good read for you.
Thanks for a commenting. There is definitely some potential in this one, but unfortunately the execution just missed the mark.
MrsCatInTheHat
Favorite Book: Cry the Beloved Country
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 376
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-mrscatinthehat.html
Latest Review: Marc Marci by Larry G. Goldsmith
Publishing Contest Votes: 0

Post by MrsCatInTheHat »

Little conversation and too many characters are often a book's downfall.
Life without a good book is something MrsCatInTheHat cannot imagine.
Kourtney Bradley
Favorite Book: Bridges of Madison County
Currently Reading: Layla
Bookshelf Size: 412
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kourtney-bradley.html
Latest Review: Dante's Demons by K.L. Barstow
Reading Device: 1400697484

Post by Kourtney Bradley »

Bummer that the writing style wasn't engaging enough. Thanks for sharing your honest review with us!
Whenever you read a good book, somewhere in the world a door opens to allow in more light. :techie-studyingbrown:
–Vera Nazarian
kimmyschemy06
Currently Reading: The Searching Three
Bookshelf Size: 694
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kimmyschemy06.html
Latest Review: Kazi Boku by M. Poyhonen

Post by kimmyschemy06 »

That was a very honest review. The premise sounds very promising. Too bad, though, about the overall execution of the entire book especially the introduction of too many characters which may cause confusion and loss of interest. Great job on the review.
visionreaderwriter
Currently Reading: We Are the Ants
Bookshelf Size: 40
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-visionreaderwriter.html
Latest Review: Rediscovering the Wisdom of Human Nature by Chet Shupe

Post by visionreaderwriter »

I like the way you analyzed this book. It makes me want to read the book. Thank you
JoanieC
Bookshelf Size: 0

Post by JoanieC »

Thank you for your honest review. As an indie author and a content editor, I cringe when bad editing (or no editing it sounds like in this case) ruins a potentially good story. Here's wishing for a great book to come your way very soon!
LadyClaire
Currently Reading: Keys to Tetouan
Bookshelf Size: 91
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-ladyclaire.html
Latest Review: "My Trip To Adele" by R.I.Alyaseer and A. I Alyaseer

Post by LadyClaire »

Indictment of Johnson County would have made a great read but I don't like novels with vast casts and little detail. I think I'll skip this one. Thanks for the review, MariaRose.
To be without some of the things you want is an indispensable part of happiness.
-Bertrand Russel
raikyuu
Favorite Book: <a href="http://forums.onlinebookclub.org/shelve ... =3079">The Republic</a>
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 95
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-raikyuu.html
Latest Review: Who killed Chatunga? by Muvhaki Tasu

Post by raikyuu »

This book indeed has a potential to be a good one. It would take years for the author to develop his skills in writing. Good job.
-rk
Emmanuel Nana Asare
Currently Reading: Blood Codex
Bookshelf Size: 2

Post by Emmanuel Nana Asare »

I hope it will be an interesting book.
Darakhshan Nazir
Bookshelf Size: 21
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-darakhshan-nazir.html
Latest Review: "Twisted Threads" by Kaylin McFarren

Post by Darakhshan Nazir »

Thank you for your honest review . I am never going near this novel.
Do Read And Comment On My Latest Review!!
Latest Review: "Twisted Threads" by Kaylin McFarren
Kitkat3
Favorite Book: <a href="http://forums.onlinebookclub.org/shelve ... 1496">Milk and Honey</a>
Currently Reading: All the Light We Cannot See
Bookshelf Size: 254
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kitkat3.html
Latest Review: A Bundle of Colorful Yarns by Louis Winslow

Post by Kitkat3 »

Great constructive criticism. Hopefully the author will be able to fix the problems and make the book reach its potential.
Elle Howard
Currently Reading: If life stinks get your head outta your buts
Bookshelf Size: 50
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-elle-howard.html
Latest Review: And Then I Met Margaret by Rob White
Reading Device: 1400698987

Post by Elle Howard »

:tiphat: Thanks for submitting such an honest, fair assessment of this book. I will pass on reading it but your review was very well done. :tiphat:
Any book that helps a child to form a habit of reading, to make reading one of his deep and continuing needs, is good for him.
–Maya Angelou
Ruth Ebube
Bookshelf Size: 3
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-ruth-ebube.html

Post by Ruth Ebube »

Thanks for your honesty, it sure sound like a "no read" for me, too many people in a story makes me dizzy.

Return to “Crime, Thrillers, Mystery and Horror Books”