Official Review: The Expansion by Christoph Martin

Please use this sub-forum to discuss any crime, thriller, mystery or horror books or series.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
Lennycat
Currently Reading: finding nary
Bookshelf Size: 109
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-lennycat.html
Latest Review: Saving Nary by Carol DeMent

Official Review: The Expansion by Christoph Martin

Post by Lennycat »

[Following is an official OnlineBookClub.org review of "The Expansion" by Christoph Martin.]
Book Cover
4 out of 4 stars
Share This Review

Since at least the 1500s, the idea of linking the Atlantic and Pacific Oceans by creating a water passage across the isthmus of Panama has tantalized world powers with ideas of riches by creating a shortcut from Asia to Eastern Europe. But Yellow Fever and Malaria from incessant daily rains, mud slides, and worker strikes foiled successive attempts by the French and Americans and it was deemed too difficult of a project to pursue. Finally, an American named Dr. William Gorgas discovered a way to kill the disease-ridden mosquitos and after much continued difficulty, construction of the Panama Canal was completed in 1914.

Christoph Martin takes this a step further in The Expansion by introducing the reader to an international engineering contest to expand the Panama Canal. The competition is fierce and corporate sabotage is not out of the question. Murder, crime, mystery and secret agencies all have a hand in this thrilling tale of the cutthroat business world of construction and the need for power and control of the Canal.

Max Burns, a British geomatics engineer with a painful family history is charged with heading up the task of expanding the Panama Canal after winning the bid with his unlikely partners. He leaves his fiancée and a stable job with his future father-in-law for this chance of a lifetime opportunity. Gian Taroco and Alexandra Wong complete the technical team, along with Paco Roco and his son, Godfredo from CISCO Corp. who are charged with the budget and construction details.

But Paco spends far too much time with his race horses and Godfredo can’t seem to keep his head in the game. Max is pushed to his limits and misses his old life in London until he meets Karis Deen, a scientist working at the nearby Smithsonian Institute. Could this beautiful girl with hypnotizing blue eyes be the one for Max?

Martin doesn’t bore the reader with technical jargon relating to the complexities of expansion to the Panama Canal. Instead, he delivers his dish of intrigue one delicious bite at a time, with tropical, languid scenes by the pool and sweet slices of deception from characters who are not what they seem to be. There are twists at every corner and just when you think you know the name of the game, another twist of the plot ensues.

However, as is the style of the day, Martin ends his book with an abrupt cliffhanger that left a bitter taste in my mouth after such a good ride. I felt that the ending could have been handled in a more satisfying way, but it did leave me wanting more.

I give this book 4 out of 4 stars. The Expansion by Christoph Martin doesn’t fail to delight the reader with a strong story line that compels one forward on a smooth journey of deceit and intrigue. I would recommend this book to those that enjoy the mystery and thriller genres.

The Expansion
View: on Bookshelves | on Amazon | on iTunes

Like Lennycat's review? Post a comment saying so!
Aimy
Bookshelf Size: 15
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-aimy.html
Latest Review: "Puffy and the Formidable Foe" by Marie Lepkowski and Ann Marie Hannon

Post by Aimy »

You have provided us with a very useful review and described this seemingly interesting book in an interesting way.
Latest Review: "Puffy and the Formidable Foe" by Marie Lepkowski and Ann Marie Hannon
Athena Moon
Favorite Author: Paulo Coelho
Favorite Book: <a href="http://forums.onlinebookclub.org/shelve ... =3217">The Lovely Bones</a>
Currently Reading: The Piketty Problem
Bookshelf Size: 54
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-athena-moon.html
Latest Review: And Then I Met Margaret by Rob White
fav_author_id: 2451

Post by Athena Moon »

I really hate when endings leave you unsatisfied and craving for more. But, still wow! Sounds like a good read to enjoy real life scenarios with some useful stuff to learn about engineering, I hope.
kandscreeley
Special Discussion Leader
Currently Reading: Believarexic
Bookshelf Size: 486
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kandscreeley.html
Latest Review: The Elf Revelation by Jordan David

Post by kandscreeley »

I'm not sure I like the cliffhanger. I am glad there's not a lot of technical jargon, though. That turns me off.
A book is a dream you hold in your hands.
—Neil Gaiman
Sophie11
Currently Reading: My Trip To Adele
Bookshelf Size: 62
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-sophie11.html
Latest Review: Marrying a Playboy Billionaire by H M Irwing

Post by Sophie11 »

Looks like an interesting read, but i am not a big fan of cliffhangers though.
khadija001
Favorite Book: <a href="http://forums.onlinebookclub.org/shelve ... 17558">The Last Juror</a>
Currently Reading: Rage and Mercy Part 1
Bookshelf Size: 5

Post by khadija001 »

I will only read this book for the sake of what I will learn not necessarily to entertain me. Wait! Let me read this delicious bite first?
Sandeepshrestha41
Bookshelf Size: 0

Post by Sandeepshrestha41 »

Looks like an interesting read, but i am not a big fan of cliffhangers though.
johnsonibiam
Currently Reading: Superhighway
Bookshelf Size: 2

Post by johnsonibiam »

nice book i think it will be interesting but i am not a fan of cliffhangers though.
Quirinius
Favorite Book: <a href="http://forums.onlinebookclub.org/shelve ... 65134">The Limitless Real Estate Leader</a>
Currently Reading: Sylvio: Past and Present
Bookshelf Size: 172
Reading Device: B00JG8GOWU

Post by Quirinius »

Great review, what a nice book. Rate 4 out of 4 stars
Scerakor
Previous Member of the Month
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 315
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-scerakor.html
Latest Review: Gaslighting & Narcissistic Abuse Recovery: by Don Barlow

Post by Scerakor »

Great review of this excellent novel. I too read this one and thoroughly enjoyed it. One of my only complaints I had was the exact same one that you identified, which makes me feel better that I'm not alone!

Thanks for the review.
bluegreenmarina
Favorite Book: <a href="http://forums.onlinebookclub.org/shelve ... =6703">The Count of Monte Cristo</a>
Currently Reading: Drive Your Plow Over The Bones Of The Dead
Bookshelf Size: 1230
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-bluegreenmarina.html
Latest Review: Spontaneous Addiction Recovery by Dr. James Slobodzien

Post by bluegreenmarina »

Sounds like a unique topic for this genre of story and I appreciate your detailed summary. I think the cliffhanger would leave me frustrated as well.
PinkiedeVos
Currently Reading: Once in a Blue Year
Bookshelf Size: 16
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-pinkiedevos.html
Latest Review: "From Drift to SHIFT" by Jody B. Miller
Reading Device: 1400697484

Post by PinkiedeVos »

This is a good and detailed review and you have enticed me into reading this book!
Latest Review: "From Drift to SHIFT" by Jody B. Miller
mnkaiy
Bookshelf Size: 3

Post by mnkaiy »

Interesting,though the ending seems unsatisfied but very inspiring story .
Awad Sharar
Bookshelf Size: 10
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-awad-sharar.html
Latest Review: "Lemoncella Cocktail" by Rene Natan

Post by Awad Sharar »

Readers of 'The Expansion' by Christoph Martin will find facts amazingly mixed with fiction. Real life, tropical scenes and engineering technology mixed with characters' deception, crime, mystery, romance and thriller. With nonstop plot twists, and smooth pace, not only mystery and thriller fans will find entertainment in the story, but all adults, as well. Great review, really.
Latest Review: "Lemoncella Cocktail" by Rene Natan
Mercelle
Favorite Book: <a href="http://forums.onlinebookclub.org/shelve ... 10262">The Wisdom and Peace of the Teachings of the Tao Te Ching</a>
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 204
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-mercelle.html
Latest Review: The Future of Finance and Money by K. Braeden Anderson

Post by Mercelle »

Great review. Can't wait to complete this book.
"The minimum requirement for a dream is a safe place to lay your head."
~OluTimehin Adegbeye

Return to “Crime, Thrillers, Mystery and Horror Books”