The 11:05 Murders by Brian O'Hare

Please use this sub-forum to discuss any crime, thriller, mystery or horror books or series.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
Soumeg
Bookshelf Size: 14
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-soumeg.html
Latest Review: "Veterans Day" by J. J. Jorgens

The 11:05 Murders by Brian O'Hare

Post by Soumeg »

The book is a work of suspense, thriller and crime which is captivating and a definite page turner. I would give 3 out of 5 points as rating for the book. The book starts with a good prologue which proves to be intriguing. The sentence construction could however be improved to be give a much clear meaning. The error in context of the sentences are largely due to misplaced punctuation in several places. Thankfully, this error has not been continued in the main content of the book, making it more interesting.
The book deals with the murder of prominent citizens, working in the field of banking and teaching profession. It eventually leads to the discovery of a crime committed by the victims, about 12 years back. The entire novel is based in the experience of a newly promoted detective, Sergeant Denise Stewart who has been transferred from Lisburn Police Station to Strandtown Police Station in Belfast ‘B District. The promotion brings out the detective skills of the Sergeant who eventually becomes the one of the prime investigator in the team along with her colleague, Detective Tom Allen and DCI Sheehan.
The twists-and-turns in the book have been well represented as the perpetrators of the decade old crime and their relation with their killer remain a suspense till the end. But the author has not maintained equal amount of suspense with respect to the killer.
The killer in the role of informant and stalker of DWS Stewart was quite obvious from the first few chapters. The reader needs to read till the end, just to confirm the initial guess. Hence instead of 5, the author was given 3 points.
In addition to the killer, the presence of other suspects and their role were quite confusingly put forth. The suspects and the witness were too obvious in their statements to the police, which is quite contrary to the reactions encountered in reality. This was a bit disappointing, given that they equally played a role in increasing the suspense factor of the novel.
Overall, the author has scripted a good novel, which is a worth-while read. The readers would find the plot interesting and would definitely experience suspense in several portions of the plot. The design of the plot by the author was good, even though it requires minor modifications at certain places. The suggestions can however be incorporated in future books to make them more attractive and thrilling.
Mashell Chapeyama
Bookshelf Size: 0
Reading Device: B00I15SB16

Post by Mashell Chapeyama »

This is a well rounded review. As a novice to book reviewing I have learnt something.
Soumeg

Post by Soumeg »

Thank you.
Ssinghal
Bookshelf Size: 1113
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-ssinghal.html
Latest Review: "Call Me Pomeroy" by James Hanna

Post by Ssinghal »

This review is very well written. Having read the book myself, I completely agree with you and congratulate you on your excellent powers of observation.
A reader lives a thousand lives before he dies, said Jojen. The man who never reads lives only one...
-George RR Martin
Latest Review: "Call Me Pomeroy" by James Hanna
Soumeg

Post by Soumeg »

Thank you. Ssinghal
Izesicle
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 140
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-izesicle.html
Latest Review: With Malice Aforethought by Thonie Hevron
Reading Device: B00JG8GOWU

Post by Izesicle »

I agree with you. There were several editing mishaps in the book. I rated it 2 out of 4 stars myself.

Return to “Crime, Thrillers, Mystery and Horror Books”