Forum Navigation: Forum Index » Books and Reading » Reviews and Discussions about Specific Books and Series » Crime, Thrillers, Mystery and Horror Books

Want FREE books and FREE Amazon gift cards?

Each day we announce via email a book that is either FREE or on a temporary sale at a great discount price. These are not your average free books. These are incredible insider deals on well-rated books. OnlineBookClub.org is where tomorrow's bestsellers are born. We also give away over $1,000 per month of free Amazon gift cards in free daily giveaways, exclusively to those signed up to these announcements! Hurry, sign up free now:

Sorry, this proves you are human.

Official Review: Mister Rainbow by C. S. Boag

Please use this sub-forum to discuss any crime, thriller, mystery or horror books or series.

Official Review: Mister Rainbow by C. S. Boag

Post Number:#1 by ananya92
» 01 Jul 2017, 21:22

[Following is an official OnlineBookClub.org review of "Mister Rainbow" by C. S. Boag.]

Book Cover
3 out of 4 stars
Review by ananya92
Share This Review

Mister Rainbow by C. S. Boag is a book in the crime thriller genre. This book is the omnibus version of three stories in the Mister Rainbow series. It features the first three stories in the series, i.e., The Hood with no Hands, The Death of a Ladies’ Man, and Horses for Corpses.

The first story introduces Mr. Rainbow, a private investigator, who has no legal identity, lives illegally on a boat, and seems to eke out a living with great difficulty. In this case, Sally Kane, a surgeon by profession, approaches him to shadow her husband, but soon she wishes she hadn’t. However, it’s too late now because our private eye has unearthed much more than he had hoped for, or expected to. The second case sees Mr. Rainbow promising a friend to seek out her lover, only to find the person in question decapitated in an alleyway. If finding the headless body of Thomas Tycho wasn’t enough, his murder becomes the catalyst for several more. To top it all, Mr. Rainbow has too many suspects as almost half the city wished to see Tycho dead. In the third case sees Mr. Rainbow ventures into the dark world of gambling, forced by the death of an innocent. Too many ex-gamblers are turning up dead, and it is obvious to Mr. Rainbow that this is the work of deranged mind. Will he solve these cases before its too late?

The first aspect that impressed me about this book was the varied genres and shades expressed in the stories. There are elements of dark humor, oddly comical crimes, overblown criminals; all of which combine with a likable protagonist to give the feel of a classic noir set in the modern day. Set in the city of Sydney, the author successfully utilizes the city’s environs to create the right atmosphere for the stories, be it the dark alleys or the harbor, which is the site of so many action packed sequences in the book.

Coming to characterization, Mr. Rainbow’s character cannot be fit into a single box; he is smart but not a genius, has a dry sense of humor (presented wonderfully through his thoughts), and above all, he is a survivor. I was honestly confused whether it was his wit or sheer luck that saved his neck in time. Our hero doesn’t really possess any outstanding psychoanalytical abilities, nor is he the meticulous detective who has already pieced together everything in his mind.

The conventional traits of a detective are displayed rather by his Aunt Rube, who adopts him and raises him to be a private eye, like herself. She can be called the real brains behind the protagonist, and though her involvement is pretty limited, she is definitely a delight to read. There is an assortment of supporting characters like Rory who has recently found his way back to god but still hasn’t found anything else he’s good at except killing people, or Salina, Mr. Rainbow’s complaining ex-wife, who has to unwillingly put up with his professional problems, or his unusually perceptive daughter, Imogene.

Each of the three stories is fairly interesting and distinct. There is no lack of twists and adrenaline charged scenes in the stories. What I found lacking was a tight hold on the plot line, as I felt in some places the author let go of the storyline and focused too much on a particular scene. I felt my attention slipping away during some sequences, which is a huge letdown in a crime fiction. Though the unpredictability factor was strong, I feel the author could have worked harder on the flow of the stories.

Readers who are looking for a crime series, which is unconventional, light-hearted and has plenty of laugh-out-loud moments, should definitely try this one. I rate it 3 out of 4 stars.

Mister Rainbow
View: on Bookshelves | on Amazon

Like ananya92's review? Post a comment saying so!
ananya92's Latest Review: "Sky Horse" by Kate Andrus
ananya92

Favorite Author: Jeffrey Archer
Favorite Book: Pride and Prejudice
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 107 books

View Reviewer Page
2017 Reading Goal: 0 Books
Goal Completion: 0%

Did you know?

Once you join the forums and log in you will get to enjoy a very ad-reduced experience. It's easy and completely free!

Re: Official Review: Mister Rainbow by C. S. Boag

Post Number:#2 by kandscreeley
» 22 Jul 2017, 07:18

I do enjoy light hearted crime mysteries. I'll have to look into it.
“There is no friend as loyal as a book.”
― Ernest Hemingway
kandscreeley
Special Discussion Leader

Currently Reading: Luna
Bookshelf Size: 88 books

View Reviewer Page
2017 Reading Goal: 100 Books
Goal Completion: 71%

Post Number:#3 by ButterscotchCherrie
» 23 Jul 2017, 06:04

Thanks for the perceptive review. How wonderful that the author makes full use of the possibilities of Sydney as a setting - I love to experience different places through reading.
ButterscotchCherrie's Latest Review: "Health Tips, Myths, and Tricks" by Morton E Tavel, MD
ButterscotchCherrie

Currently Reading: Wolf Hall
Bookshelf Size: 30 books

View Reviewer Page
Reading Device: Kindle Paperwhite
2017 Reading Goal: 50 Books
Goal Completion: 26%

Post Number:#4 by ananya92
» 23 Jul 2017, 21:59

Thanks! :)
ananya92

Currently Reading:

View Reviewer Page

Post Number:#5 by kimmyschemy06
» 23 Jul 2017, 23:47

Sounds like a very interesting book with very intriguing character. Too bad about the 'lack of tight hold on the plot line.' Still, it seems like one enjoyable book. Great job on the review.
kimmyschemy06

Currently Reading: God Without Religion
Bookshelf Size: 328 books

View Reviewer Page
Goal Completion: 82%

Post Number:#6 by ananya92
» 24 Jul 2017, 09:50

Thank you!
ananya92

Currently Reading:

View Reviewer Page

Post Number:#7 by kislany
» 24 Jul 2017, 14:03

Crime mystery books are my favorites to read and I'm always looking for a new author to catch up to. Great and honest review for a seemingly quite enjoyable book.
kislany

Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 17 books

View Reviewer Page

Post Number:#8 by ananya92
» 24 Jul 2017, 22:45

Thank you!
ananya92

Currently Reading:

View Reviewer Page

Post Number:#9 by LadyClaire
» 25 Jul 2017, 17:00

...sounds a little like Sherlock Holmes. I think I'll check this one out. Thanks for the review, Ananya92
To be without some of the things you want is an indispensable part of happiness.
-Bertrand Russel
LadyClaire

Currently Reading: My Trip To Adele
Bookshelf Size: 52 books

View Reviewer Page
Goal Completion: 2%

Post Number:#10 by Kitkat3
» 15 Aug 2017, 03:15

Such a great review! I think that I would enjoy the many elements of the plot and the fact that the main character is not a genius. This would really add a realistic element.
Kitkat3's Latest Review: "Black inked pearl" by Ruth finnegan
Kitkat3

Favorite Book: Black inked pearl
Currently Reading: All the Light We Cannot See
Bookshelf Size: 203 books

View Reviewer Page
2017 Reading Goal: 60 Books
Goal Completion: 38%

Post Number:#11 by juliusotinyo
» 15 Aug 2017, 03:32

Thanks for your insightful review. Crime and mystery are not my favorite genres. I might just have a look at this one.
juliusotinyo's Latest Review: "Book Blueprint" by Jacqui Pretty
juliusotinyo

Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 35 books

View Reviewer Page
2017 Reading Goal: 17 Books
Goal Completion: 105%