Official Review: Cryptic by Conrad Luznar

Please use this sub-forum to discuss any crime, thriller, mystery or horror books or series.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
Megwe85
Bookshelf Size: 91
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-megwe85.html
Latest Review: "Cryptic" by Conrad Luznar

Official Review: Cryptic by Conrad Luznar

Post by Megwe85 »

[Following is an official OnlineBookClub.org review of "Cryptic" by Conrad Luznar.]
Book Cover
1 out of 4 stars
Share This Review

For Gus Ward Harrison, killing was just one part of his “dark side,” but it was one that he frequently felt compelled to appease. He began expressing these dark urges at an early age, but as he matured, the act of taking another’s life was not as gratifying as it had once been. Thus, he turned a new page in his life to become Cryptic, a serial killer who amused himself by provoking the police, the FBI, and the public with ciphers and riddles.

Cryptic is set in 1960’s California; the Vietnam War was in full-swing, and tensions were high as plenty of young American men and women were ready and raring to go. One such man, a genius with a somewhat amoral attitude toward murder, was Gage Pann. Conveniently, Gage is interested in a project that Gus proposes – an on-going project about his life, to include newspaper clippings of his murder victims. The two grow close as Gus continues killing and Gage becomes involved behind-the-scenes.

Twenty years later, Cryptic is still free and unchallenged. Can a group of internet sleuths solve and make sense of the ciphers constructed by the brilliant mind of Gage Pann?

There are several critiques I have of the book. I found the descriptions of each person’s build, and the make and model of every character’s vehicle to be excessive. It seemed unnecessary as the information did not play into a bigger picture. Secondly, I did not like how characters entered the story and then were completely forgotten about. It was as if they just existed on the timeline of actual historical events and were included whether they were important to the author’s story or not (i.e. Charles “Tex” Watson).

One aspect of the book I enjoyed was the inclusion of notorious historical figures from the time period. The story did not evolve to include them in the plot, but the prospect was exciting. I feel that the author would have achieved better results by creating a meaningful role for those figures in the story.

Overall, I give this book 1 out of 4 stars. My chief complaint is that the story is not original. While I believe that real people and their stories can inspire great novels, the author of this novel did little besides narrate the known history of the Zodiac Killer. In fact, the part of the writing I detested most was that the author barely bothered to conceal the names of actual victims. He tried to tell the story from the killer’s perspective, but that was part of the problem – telling, instead of showing. Some readers might not have any difficulty with this, but I did not feel immersed in the story. I also had difficulty with the mediocre editing. For example, one character changed names two-thirds the way through the book. Another example is the formatting of chapters in the first fifty pages of the book. Several chapters were less than a page each and I found myself losing interest when the author switched quickly between the two main characters. In the chapters at the beginning of the book, there were also a number of spelling and punctuation errors. The last point to warrant the low rating was the introduction of three new characters toward the end of the book. The author finally seemed to be telling his own story, but it took him thirty-three chapters to get there. Due to the amount of page-time those characters received, their own stories were not explored in meaningful detail. I would not recommend this book, but I think that readers who are interested in reading about serial killers may be drawn to it.

Cryptic
View: on Bookshelves | on Amazon

Like Megwe85's review? Post a comment saying so!
Rosemary Okoko
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 89
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-rosemary-okoko.html
Latest Review: The Sins of a Master Race by Matthew Tysz

Post by Rosemary Okoko »

This book seems like it will be difficult to read if the author does not do some editing and change the structure. I will not read this one. Thank you for the review.
Megwe85

Post by Megwe85 »

Rosemary Okoko wrote:This book seems like it will be difficult to read if the author does not do some editing and change the structure. I will not read this one. Thank you for the review.
Thank you for reading my review and commenting, Rosemary!
kandscreeley
Special Discussion Leader
Currently Reading: The Door Within
Bookshelf Size: 487
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kandscreeley.html
Latest Review: The Elf Revelation by Jordan David

Post by kandscreeley »

This sounds like it could have been a great novel. It's an interesting concept to be sure. I would very much be bored with all the extraneous details of the characters' build and cars. I also dislike when people are introduced only to disappear. Sorry this novel was so disappointing, but thanks for the review.
A book is a dream you hold in your hands.
—Neil Gaiman
Megwe85

Post by Megwe85 »

kandscreeley wrote:This sounds like it could have been a great novel. It's an interesting concept to be sure. I would very much be bored with all the extraneous details of the characters' build and cars. I also dislike when people are introduced only to disappear. Sorry this novel was so disappointing, but thanks for the review.
Thank you for reading and commenting on my review. I agree, it could have been a great novel.
EMoffat
Currently Reading: Norse Mythology
Bookshelf Size: 134
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-emoffat.html
Latest Review: A Life In Waiting by Katrina Benson

Post by EMoffat »

Such a shame it turned out to be disappointing! Sounds like it held great promise, but sadly it did not deliver. Great review though, hopefully your next book will be better!
Jessica Paul
Bookshelf Size: 0

Post by Jessica Paul »

I think this book was intended to paint a picture of what instigated the Vietnam was. Maybe not what the reviewer was expecting but I feel other crime conscious individuals might like to know what makes people act the way they do relating to committing murder crimes.
Megwe85

Post by Megwe85 »

EMoffat wrote:Such a shame it turned out to be disappointing! Sounds like it held great promise, but sadly it did not deliver. Great review though, hopefully your next book will be better!
Thank you for reading my review and commenting. I appreciate it!
Rnwulfekuhle
Currently Reading: Blood Magic
Bookshelf Size: 12
Reading Device: B002Y27P3M

Post by Rnwulfekuhle »

I started out thinking this would be a good book if they explored some characters more and had some edit it. I'm not really into these kinds of books but it does sound interesting and like a good concept but the author needed to put some more time and work into it. Thanks for the great review!
Megwe85

Post by Megwe85 »

Jessica Paul wrote:I think this book was intended to paint a picture of what instigated the Vietnam was. Maybe not what the reviewer was expecting but I feel other crime conscious individuals might like to know what makes people act the way they do relating to committing murder crimes.
You wrote an interesting take on this so I wanted to think about it before responding. I don't agree that the author was trying to paint a picture of incidents leading up to the Vietnam War - unless we're talking about conspiracy theories. I think he was trying to put his story in historical context. I do agree that it's interesting, delving into the mind of a serial killer.

-- 27 Jun 2017, 18:20 --
Rnwulfekuhle wrote:I started out thinking this would be a good book if they explored some characters more and had some edit it. I'm not really into these kinds of books but it does sound interesting and like a good concept but the author needed to put some more time and work into it. Thanks for the great review!
Thank you for reading and commenting! I felt the same when I started the book and was excited to explore the characters that were introduced. I think professional editing would have made a huge difference.
Paull123
Currently Reading: Walking In Blind: A Collection of Poetry
Bookshelf Size: 10

Post by Paull123 »

Have you ever read a review and felt like you have been missing a lot. I wish I had more than 30 hours a day. This book is a must read. Thank you for the review.
Megwe85

Post by Megwe85 »

Paull123 wrote:Have you ever read a review and felt like you have been missing a lot. I wish I had more than 30 hours a day. This book is a must read. Thank you for the review.
Thank you for your comments, Paul. I wish there were more hours in the day too, and you've already managed to extend your day by 6 hours!
Kelebogile Mbangi
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 123
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kelebogile-mbangi.html
Latest Review: At Day's End, I'll Always Be Me by Jerry A. Greenberg

Post by Kelebogile Mbangi »

I agree with Kandscreeley, upon reading the opening lines of your review I was intrigued. Too bad the author didn't execute his concept well enough. Thank you for the honest review.
"And will you succeed?
Yes! You will, indeed!
(98 and 3/4 percent guaranteed.)
KID, YOU'LL MOVE MOUNTAINS!" - Dr. Seuss

Return to “Crime, Thrillers, Mystery and Horror Books”