Review by BookishBookkeeping -- Raven's Peak

This forum is for volunteer reviews by members of our review team. These reviews are done voluntarily by the reviewers and are published in this forum, separate from the official professional reviews. These reviews are kept separate primarily because the same book may be reviewed by many different reviewers.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
BookishBookkeeping
Favorite Book: <a href="http://forums.onlinebookclub.org/shelve ... =6703">The Count of Monte Cristo</a>
Currently Reading: Atlas Shrugged
Bookshelf Size: 79
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-bookishbookkeeping.html
Latest Review: "Superhighway" by Alex Fayman
Reading Device: B00KC6I06S

Review by BookishBookkeeping -- Raven's Peak

Post by BookishBookkeeping »

[Following is a volunteer review of "Raven's Peak" by Lincoln Cole.]
Book Cover
3 out of 4 stars
Share This Review

"Raven's Peak " by Lincoln Cole is a thrilling work of fiction in which we are confronted with a hidden realm coexisting with our own. This realm is the supernatural world. There demons dwell and conspire against us using men, women, and children to do their bidding. Yet, hope still remains even for a world full of hate, suffering and death.

The story unfolds with a Hunter, named Abigail Dressler, who is ordained by the Council to combat the growing presence of demons and their followers, the Ninth Circle. She is ordered to go to Raven's Peak to investigate the reports of eery disturbances the townspeople are experiencing. In order to save face with the Council, since the horrific incident with her father, Abigail obeys. Along the way, Haatim Arison is thrown into Abigail's path. He is a modern unbeliever experencing his own crisis of faith who later on becomes more of an asset to Abigail then when they first meet. In the end, Haatim and Abigail have to face the mysterious revelations given to them by the demon possessed concerning those they know and love.

From the first word to the last, this story captivated my attention and engaged my imagination. The characters were well developed with sufficient backstories to keep me from getting lost. The plot is simple to follow but not at all predictable. Each chapter ends in an excellent cliff hanger with the final ending leaving me hungering for more. The author supplied the right amount of suspense, horror, and mystery all throughout the book. No action scene was longer then it had to be and provided just enough gore to keep me squirming in my seat. It was also refreshing not to be subjected to any unwarranted sexual scenes.

However, there were two main problems I had with the book. First, one of the characters, named Arthur, claims to be a Roman Catholic but goes on to call God a "she" which is clearly inconsistent with the historical teaching of the church. This might not seem a big deal but when you write a story containing references to known religions it is only fair in keeping with what they actually teach. Unless, I am mistaken and the author meant something else by it. Secondly, there were several editorial mistakes which caused me to get tripped up as I read. Mainly sentences were either missing words or using the wrong pronoun. For example, in chapter 3, "the document he'd been writing mention of her more than a few times."

Overall, I rate this book a 3 out of 4 stars. I wanted to give it 4 stars but those sentence mishaps just kept snagging me up. However, despite those issues the book did keep me turning the pages til the end. "Raven's Peak" ticked off all the major boxes for mystery, thriller, and horror. Both adults and young adults who delight in the supernatural genre will find this story enticing. Nevertheless, should you be the kind of person who gets scared of your own shadow then you should probably pass this one up. Some of the scenes containing demon possessions can be a bit unnerving. Still, the story is original with all the twists and turns it throws out and I will definitely be reading the sequel.

Raven's Peak
View: on Bookshelves | on Amazon

Like BookishBookkeeping's review? Post a comment saying so!
Latest Review: "Superhighway" by Alex Fayman
Swara Sangeet
Currently Reading: Last Dance
Bookshelf Size: 265
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-swara-sangeet.html
Latest Review: A Brighter Tomorrow by Lori Schneider, MD
Reading Device: B06Y66GMC5

Post by Swara Sangeet »

Great review! I agree with you the part about not having romantic scenes. They make me feel uneasy while reading. This book was great in that aspect, by not portraying romance as the main theme! I didn't notice those mistakes but will pay attention in the future. The gripping story was definitely pleasing. A true page-turner till the end. I am eagerly waiting to read the rest of the series.
Jaime Lync
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 120
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-jaime-lync.html
Latest Review: You Are A Christian. NOW WHAT? by James Rondinone

Post by Jaime Lync »

Great review! I agree with you that the use of she for God, especially by a Catholic Reverend was off because God is the Father. If he had explained why he was using she it might have been less annoying.
John Cand
Bookshelf Size: 10
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-john-cand.html
Latest Review: "Strong Heart" by Charlie Sheldon

Post by John Cand »

Jaime Lync wrote:Great review! I agree with you that the use of she for God, especially by a Catholic Reverend was off because God is the Father. If he had explained why he was using she it might have been less annoying.
I agree with Jaime who agreed with you.
Latest Review: "Strong Heart" by Charlie Sheldon
Izesicle
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 140
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-izesicle.html
Latest Review: With Malice Aforethought by Thonie Hevron
Reading Device: B00JG8GOWU

Post by Izesicle »

I agree with your review on the pace of the book as well as the storytelling. It was also refreshing that there was no romance angle.
CarrieMe
Bookshelf Size: 357
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-carrieme.html
Latest Review: "Away From The Sun" by Rebecca brisbane

Post by CarrieMe »

I read this book as well and didn't even notice the contradiction between Arthur being Catholic and him referring to God as "she." Nice catch.
Latest Review: "Away From The Sun" by Rebecca brisbane

Return to “Volunteer Reviews”