Official Review: What Lies Within by Clare de Lune

Please use this sub-forum to discuss any crime, thriller, mystery or horror books or series.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
Anki_Real_Reviews
Favorite Book: <a href="http://forums.onlinebookclub.org/shelve ... 55282">The Palace of Illusions</a>
Currently Reading: 2 books same content: You'll Do Anything for Him. You'll Do Anything for Her
Bookshelf Size: 82
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-anki-real-reviews.html
Latest Review: The Engine Woman's Light by Laurel Anne Hill
Reading Device: B00LHLASDU

Official Review: What Lies Within by Clare de Lune

Post by Anki_Real_Reviews »

[Following is an official OnlineBookClub.org review of "What Lies Within" by Clare de Lune.]
Book Cover
4 out of 4 stars
Share This Review

What Lies Within by Clare de Lune is a treat for the readers who love thrillers. Sophia Varga owns a very unconventional kind of business. From the outside, nothing seems out of the ordinary. But when you look inside, there is nothing traditional about her business. She is one of the owners of "Everlasting Beauty Cosmetics." The key ingredient of the products of this company is extracted from the dead human bodies. Sophia finds real comfort in killing humans, bathing in their blood, and using fat of their bodies for creating various products for her company. Lately, she has been feeling annoyed with her business partner's controlling ways. She wants to be free of him and has already set her eyes on another handsome man, Paul. While she is busy stalking Paul, she has got a stalker of her own.

After a very bad breakup, Ti has come to San Francisco. This is where she catches a glimpse of Sophia. She finds her extraordinarily attractive. Ti is obsessed with her. Little does she know that she might be getting herself into very nasty and disturbing circumstances. Sophia could not care less about Ti and is super annoyed with how she keeps appearing in front of her.

The author has done a magnificent job of describing Sophia. She is a girl who is not normal -- to say the least. She finds it very difficult to act compassionately around others. The only place where she feels comfortable is while murdering somebody. This act soothes her. I could not help but feel bad for Sophia. There were a few chapters, where I thought Sophia to be an emotionally disabled girl. This is very rare for me to feel bad for a brutal murderer; however, the author's style of explaining Sophia's mindset pushed me down that road. I could not decide whether I want Sophia to die or survive.

There are quite graphic scenes of violence and sex. Therefore, this book is definitely intended for an adult audience. Clare has really gone inside the brains of killers and poured all that insight into What Lies Within. Various aspects of the murder -- as for instance the selection of the victim, planning, stalking, and torturing -- are vividly described by the author. These scenes kept me on the edge of my seat throughout the read.

I could not decide whether Sophia is an innocent girl, who just can't be normal, or a devil. This confusion made it hard for me to put the book down before reaching the climax. As for Ti, I wanted her to be safe and away from Sophia. I did not want her to be killed. This emotional connection between the characters and a reader is always a good sign for any book. There is a lot going on in What Lies Within, but the author has narrated it all with an utter clarity.

Needless to say, I loved the book. I could not find anything negative to mention about the book; therefore I would rate it 4 out of 4 stars. The fans of thrillers must grab a copy of What Lies Within by Clare de Lune asap.

What Lies Within
View: on Bookshelves

Like Anki_Real_Reviews's review? Post a comment saying so!
"A great book should leave you with many experiences, and slightly exhausted at the end. You live several lives while reading." ~William Styron
Kanwal Choudhary
Bookshelf Size: 0

Post by Kanwal Choudhary »

Let me start by stating the fact that this is a wonderful book. It allowed me to see the unlimeted points of view with such excellence. I will recommend this book to every reader interested in thriller books.
kandscreeley
Special Discussion Leader
Currently Reading: The Door Within
Bookshelf Size: 487
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kandscreeley.html
Latest Review: The Elf Revelation by Jordan David

Post by kandscreeley »

Sounds like a pretty well written book especially if you were able to identify with a murder. I don't think it's a book for me, but it is an intriguing concept. Thanks for the review.
A book is a dream you hold in your hands.
—Neil Gaiman
Amagine
Favorite Author: James Patterson
Bookshelf Size: 721
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-amagine.html
Latest Review: "Salome and Gogo visit Soweto" by Cora Groenewald
Reading Device: B00IKPYKWG
fav_author_id: 3251

Post by Amagine »

I love the concept of the book! It's really unique. I never heard of a killer killing people for their cosmetics line. Also, it's rare to find female serial killers in fiction. This sounds like an interesting read.

Great Review!
"Piglet noticed that even though he had a very small heart, it could hold a rather large amount of gratitude." -A.A Milne

"I am grateful for all the books that sparked my imagination." -Unknown
Latest Review: "Salome and Gogo visit Soweto" by Cora Groenewald
Anki_Real_Reviews
Favorite Book: <a href="http://forums.onlinebookclub.org/shelve ... 55282">The Palace of Illusions</a>
Currently Reading: 2 books same content: You'll Do Anything for Him. You'll Do Anything for Her

Amagine wrote:I love the concept of the book! It's really unique. I never heard of a killer killing people for their cosmetics line. Also, it's rare to find female serial killers in fiction.
I thought so, too :techie-studyingbrown:
"A great book should leave you with many experiences, and slightly exhausted at the end. You live several lives while reading." ~William Styron
Jaime Lync
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 120
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-jaime-lync.html
Latest Review: You Are A Christian. NOW WHAT? by James Rondinone

Post by Jaime Lync »

This sounds like a page turner to me. That emotional link between characters and reader is always a great sign.
Anki_Real_Reviews

Jaime Lync wrote:This sounds like a page turner to me. That emotional link between characters and reader is always a great sign.
Definitely! If I can make a connection with the characters then I know that I would love the book (or any movie, for that matter) :)
AliceFrimpong
Currently Reading: The Wicked Wives
Bookshelf Size: 2

Post by AliceFrimpong »

I would love to read it over and over again,it really touched me.
Anki_Real_Reviews

AliceFrimpong wrote:I would love to read it over and over again,it really touched me.
I'm sure the author would love to read this comment :tiphat:
mindyg123
Currently Reading: Lycan Fallout
Bookshelf Size: 565
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-mindyg123.html

Post by mindyg123 »

Wonderful review. When you can relate to the characters and not want one to die then the author has engaged the reader, when this happens it's usually a good book. Spohia using parts from her murder victims in her cosmetics is creepy and just my type of read. Congrats on being BOTD.
Mindyg123 :techie-studyingbrown:
gali
Previous Member of the Month
Favorite Author: Agatha Christie
Currently Reading: Pride and Prejudice in Space
Bookshelf Size: 2288
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-gali.html
Reading Device: B00I15SB16
Publishing Contest Votes: 0
fav_author_id: 2484

Post by gali »

A psychopath who makes soaps from dead people and looking for a new mate? Chilling! The premise sure sounds unique, so I will give the book a try. Thank you for the review!
A retired Admin/Mod

Pronouns: She/Her

"In the case of good books, the point is not to see how many of them you can get through, but rather how many can get through to you." (Mortimer J. Adler)
Strangerthanfiction
Currently Reading: Night Seeker
Bookshelf Size: 304
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-strangerthanfiction.html

Post by Strangerthanfiction »

Great review! This sounds like a riveting book. A female serial killer who uses her victims remains to make a cosmetics line? Fascinating. I live a good thriller and at this time of year it just fits the fall/Halloween mood. Cant wait to read this one. Congrats to the author on a terrific review! Thanks so much for sharing.
“You know you’ve read a good book when you turn the last page and feel a little as if you have lost a friend.” – Paul Sweeney
medlee38
Bookshelf Size: 0

Post by medlee38 »

Good review, I would like to read it again it's a wonderful book
ReviewerDiksha
Currently Reading: The Katharina Code
Bookshelf Size: 151
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-reviewerdiksha.html
Latest Review: A Brighter Tomorrow by Lori Schneider, MD

Post by ReviewerDiksha »

I love horror and especially when they throw psychology in the mix. Your review makes it sound like a great read. Thank you
meteku4
Bookshelf Size: 65
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-meteku4.html
Latest Review: "Followed my Star" by AR Annahita

Post by meteku4 »

The review is great, but I don't think it is a book for me. It sounds scary to me. But, of course, others may find it enjoyable.
Latest Review: "Followed my Star" by AR Annahita

Return to “Crime, Thrillers, Mystery and Horror Books”