Official Review: Golden Legacy by Robert James Glider

Please use this sub-forum to discuss any crime, thriller, mystery or horror books or series.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
kandscreeley
Special Discussion Leader
Currently Reading: The Door Within
Bookshelf Size: 487
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kandscreeley.html
Latest Review: The Elf Revelation by Jordan David

Official Review: Golden Legacy by Robert James Glider

Post by kandscreeley »

[Following is an official OnlineBookClub.org review of "Golden Legacy" by Robert James Glider.]
Book Cover
3 out of 4 stars
Share This Review

Do you enjoy a good treasure hunt filled with mystery, intrigue and death? If so, Golden Legacy: A Jacsen Kidd Adventure/Mystery by Robert James Glider is a book you’ll want to put on your list. The book is about 330 pages and only $3.99 for the Kindle edition.

Abigail Chance’s mother has unexpectedly passed away leaving the estate to her. After the reading of the will, the lawyer approaches Abigail with a secret letter from her mother. Her mother warns her not to share this information with anyone except those whom she trusts. She explicitly tells Abigail to never breathe a word of this to Pastor Kincaid, who has been after the family for years. It seems that Anne Bonney, one of her relatives, has left a box buried nearby with information on a treasure. Anne Bonney and her friend Mary Read were pirates who hid gold and jewels somewhere in the Virgin Islands. Now that her mother has died, Abigail decides it’s time to find this hidden treasure. Unfortunately, she’s not the only one that’s after this infamous treasure.

Anne Bonney and Mary Read are actual pirates according to history. They were both part of John “Calico Jack” Rackham’s crew aboard the Revenge. A King’s ship attacked the crew in October of 1720, and the crew, including Bonney and Read, were sentenced to be hanged for piracy. According to legend, Bonney and Read were pregnant at the time and were given a stay of execution until after the birth of their children. In writing this book, Mr. Glider blends fact and fiction into a masterful tale of intrigue.

The pace of the story is steady while building to a climactic end. The author includes history about the pirates and the treasure to break up the intense scenes. I enjoyed hearing the history, especially knowing that much of it is based on fact. Mr. Glider also included some backstory about the characters. All of this helped to keep the story balanced between action and depth.

There were many different types of characters introduced in this book, but the author presents them in a way so as not to overwhelm the reader. I appreciated the fact that I was able to remember each character that was introduced without having to refer back to a list every time I read one of their names. Each character is unique and well-thought-out. Mr. Glider even included a little bit of romance within the story which, although not fully developed in this book, shows promise for books to come.

This, apparently, is book 2 in the Jacsen Kidd adventure series. The first book is called Golden Conspiracy. A note at the end of the current book states this book can be found online, but I did not find it on Amazon. That being said, I didn’t even realize this was book 2 until I read the note at the end. This book definitely stands alone well without the need for a first book. The plot is, also, wrapped up neatly at the end. So, while I would enjoy reading the next book in the series, the story has a satisfying ending without being forced to continue on.

While there are many aspects of this story that I enjoyed, sadly, there were many mistakes littering the pages of the book. Most of these were the usual issues of commas in the wrong spot, missing quotation marks and words in the wrong tense. However, there was one spot towards the end of the book where the character’s name is written incorrectly. Abigail is referred to as Amanda. It confused me until I figured out that the author must have meant Abigail because there is no Amanda in the story.

Overall, I give Golden Legacy 3 out of 4 stars. I enjoyed searching for the treasure along with Abigail and her team as well as learning about some real life pirates. Sadly, I can’t give it the full 4 stars due to the editing mistakes that I found within the story. I would gladly recommend this novel to anyone who loves a good treasure hunt or pirate adventure.

Golden Legacy
View: on Bookshelves | on Amazon

Like kandscreeley's review? Post a comment saying so!
A book is a dream you hold in your hands.
—Neil Gaiman
Amagine
Favorite Author: James Patterson
Bookshelf Size: 721
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-amagine.html
Latest Review: "Salome and Gogo visit Soweto" by Cora Groenewald
Reading Device: B00IKPYKWG
fav_author_id: 3251

Post by Amagine »

It's good that this book balances action and depth. There's enough action to keep you excited and enough depth to keep you interested.

Great Review! ?
"Piglet noticed that even though he had a very small heart, it could hold a rather large amount of gratitude." -A.A Milne

"I am grateful for all the books that sparked my imagination." -Unknown
Latest Review: "Salome and Gogo visit Soweto" by Cora Groenewald
kandscreeley

Post by kandscreeley »

Thanks Amagine. It's actually pretty interesting.
—Neil Gaiman
bookowlie
Favorite Book: The Lost Continent
Currently Reading: The Night She Went Missing
Bookshelf Size: 442
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-bookowlie.html
Latest Review: To Paint A Murder by E. J. Gandolfo

Post by bookowlie »

Great review! I like books that mix fact and fiction so I am going to take a second look at this one. I love your phrase "mistakes littering the pages of the book." It's such an apt description since numerous errors in a book are a messy, annoying distraction.
"The best way out is always through" - Robert Frost
Jaime Lync
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 120
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-jaime-lync.html
Latest Review: You Are A Christian. NOW WHAT? by James Rondinone

Post by Jaime Lync »

I hate when the character name is mixed up. That really throws off a book for me no matter where in the book I am. The story seems intriguing though. Great review.
kandscreeley

Post by kandscreeley »

Thanks jaime! It definitely took me a few minutes to figure it out. I thought I missed something. Still a good story though.
—Neil Gaiman
christinac_2585
Currently Reading: City of Ashes
Bookshelf Size: 63
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-christinac-2585.html
Latest Review: "The firstborn" by Helena K Workman
Reading Device: B00IKPYKWG

Post by christinac_2585 »

Wonderful review! I find that the fact and fiction being intertwined intriguing. I love a good book that includes pirates. Great review!
"Books are the plane, and the train, and the road. They are the destination, and the journey. They are home."
- Anna Quindlen
Latest Review: "The firstborn" by Helena K Workman
kandscreeley

Post by kandscreeley »

bookowlie wrote:Great review! I like books that mix fact and fiction so I am going to take a second look at this one. I love your phrase "mistakes littering the pages of the book." It's such an apt description since numerous errors in a book are a messy, annoying distraction.
Thanks bookowlie! I even looked up the pirates on google to get more information. It was quite interesting. I loved that part of it!

-- 24 May 2017, 07:38 --
christinac_2585 wrote:Wonderful review! I find that the fact and fiction being intertwined intriguing. I love a good book that includes pirates. Great review!
If you like a book about pirates, this is for you. Although it's more about hunting the treasure. It was interesting to look the pirates up and google and confirm some of what the author wrote.
—Neil Gaiman
sunnelro
Bookshelf Size: 0

Post by sunnelro »

The book is wonderful in respect of posterity
Rosemary Okoko
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 89
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-rosemary-okoko.html
Latest Review: The Sins of a Master Race by Matthew Tysz

Post by Rosemary Okoko »

A treasure hunt story is a must read for me. I like adventure. How could the author refer to Abigail as Amanda? Thank you for noticing this mix up and pointing it out to help readers avoid getting confused. Nice review.
kandscreeley

Post by kandscreeley »

That little mix up threw me off for a few seconds for sure. I was scrambling around trying to figure out if I missed something. Thanks for reading.
—Neil Gaiman
Rogers getange
Bookshelf Size: 0

Post by Rogers getange »

I like the book, excellent

Return to “Crime, Thrillers, Mystery and Horror Books”