Forum Navigation: Forum Index » Books and Reading » Reviews and Discussions about Specific Books and Series » Crime, Thrillers, Mystery and Horror Books

Want FREE books and FREE Amazon gift cards?

Each day we announce via email a book that is either FREE or on a temporary sale at a great discount price. These are not your average free books. These are incredible insider deals on well-rated books. OnlineBookClub.org is where tomorrow's bestsellers are born. We also give away over $1,000 per month of free Amazon gift cards in free daily giveaways, exclusively to those signed up to these announcements! Hurry, sign up free now:

Sorry, this proves you are human.

Official Review: Golden Legacy by Robert James Glider

Please use this sub-forum to discuss any crime, thriller, mystery or horror books or series.

Official Review: Golden Legacy by Robert James Glider

Post Number:#1 by kandscreeley
» 17 May 2017, 09:49

[Following is an official OnlineBookClub.org review of "Golden Legacy" by Robert James Glider.]

Book Cover
3 out of 4 stars
Review by kandscreeley
Share This Review

Do you enjoy a good treasure hunt filled with mystery, intrigue and death? If so, Golden Legacy: A Jacsen Kidd Adventure/Mystery by Robert James Glider is a book you’ll want to put on your list. The book is about 330 pages and only $3.99 for the Kindle edition.

Abigail Chance’s mother has unexpectedly passed away leaving the estate to her. After the reading of the will, the lawyer approaches Abigail with a secret letter from her mother. Her mother warns her not to share this information with anyone except those whom she trusts. She explicitly tells Abigail to never breathe a word of this to Pastor Kincaid, who has been after the family for years. It seems that Anne Bonney, one of her relatives, has left a box buried nearby with information on a treasure. Anne Bonney and her friend Mary Read were pirates who hid gold and jewels somewhere in the Virgin Islands. Now that her mother has died, Abigail decides it’s time to find this hidden treasure. Unfortunately, she’s not the only one that’s after this infamous treasure.

Anne Bonney and Mary Read are actual pirates according to history. They were both part of John “Calico Jack” Rackham’s crew aboard the Revenge. A King’s ship attacked the crew in October of 1720, and the crew, including Bonney and Read, were sentenced to be hanged for piracy. According to legend, Bonney and Read were pregnant at the time and were given a stay of execution until after the birth of their children. In writing this book, Mr. Glider blends fact and fiction into a masterful tale of intrigue.

The pace of the story is steady while building to a climactic end. The author includes history about the pirates and the treasure to break up the intense scenes. I enjoyed hearing the history, especially knowing that much of it is based on fact. Mr. Glider also included some backstory about the characters. All of this helped to keep the story balanced between action and depth.

There were many different types of characters introduced in this book, but the author presents them in a way so as not to overwhelm the reader. I appreciated the fact that I was able to remember each character that was introduced without having to refer back to a list every time I read one of their names. Each character is unique and well-thought-out. Mr. Glider even included a little bit of romance within the story which, although not fully developed in this book, shows promise for books to come.

This, apparently, is book 2 in the Jacsen Kidd adventure series. The first book is called Golden Conspiracy. A note at the end of the current book states this book can be found online, but I did not find it on Amazon. That being said, I didn’t even realize this was book 2 until I read the note at the end. This book definitely stands alone well without the need for a first book. The plot is, also, wrapped up neatly at the end. So, while I would enjoy reading the next book in the series, the story has a satisfying ending without being forced to continue on.

While there are many aspects of this story that I enjoyed, sadly, there were many mistakes littering the pages of the book. Most of these were the usual issues of commas in the wrong spot, missing quotation marks and words in the wrong tense. However, there was one spot towards the end of the book where the character’s name is written incorrectly. Abigail is referred to as Amanda. It confused me until I figured out that the author must have meant Abigail because there is no Amanda in the story.

Overall, I give Golden Legacy 3 out of 4 stars. I enjoyed searching for the treasure along with Abigail and her team as well as learning about some real life pirates. Sadly, I can’t give it the full 4 stars due to the editing mistakes that I found within the story. I would gladly recommend this novel to anyone who loves a good treasure hunt or pirate adventure.

Golden Legacy
View: on Bookshelves | on Amazon

Like kandscreeley's review? Post a comment saying so!
“There is no friend as loyal as a book.”
― Ernest Hemingway
kandscreeley's Latest Review: "Gestation Seven" by J Stewart Willis
kandscreeley

Currently Reading: Luna
Bookshelf Size: 76 books

View Reviewer Page
2017 Reading Goal: 100 Books
Goal Completion: 59%

Did you know?

Once you join the forums and log in you will get to enjoy a very ad-reduced experience. It's easy and completely free!

Re: Official Review: Golden Legacy by Robert James Glider

Post Number:#2 by Amagine
» 23 May 2017, 17:34

It's good that this book balances action and depth. There's enough action to keep you excited and enough depth to keep you interested.

Great Review! 💖
The true sign of intelligence is not knowledge but imagination. -Albert Einstein

Imagination is like a muscle. I found the more I wrote, the bigger it got.- Phillip Jose Farmer
Amagine

Favorite Author: James Patterson
Favorite Book: Rocket Writes a Story
Currently Reading: All American girl
Bookshelf Size: 664 books

View Reviewer Page
Reading Device: Fire HD 7 Tablet
2017 Reading Goal: 400 Books
Goal Completion: 40%

Post Number:#3 by kandscreeley
» 23 May 2017, 17:36

Thanks Amagine. It's actually pretty interesting.
― Ernest Hemingway
kandscreeley

View Reviewer Page

Post Number:#4 by bookowlie
» 23 May 2017, 17:45

Great review! I like books that mix fact and fiction so I am going to take a second look at this one. I love your phrase "mistakes littering the pages of the book." It's such an apt description since numerous errors in a book are a messy, annoying distraction.
As you slide down the bannister of life, may the splinters never point in the wrong direction. - Irish blessing
bookowlie's Latest Review: "Pearadigm Shift" by JK Purdy
bookowlie
Special Discussion Leader

Favorite Book: The Lost Continent
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 231 books

View Reviewer Page
2017 Reading Goal: 52 Books
Goal Completion: 48%

Post Number:#5 by Jaime Lync
» 23 May 2017, 17:54

I hate when the character name is mixed up. That really throws off a book for me no matter where in the book I am. The story seems intriguing though. Great review.
Jaime Lync

Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 47 books

View Reviewer Page
2017 Reading Goal: 12 Books
Goal Completion: 375%

Post Number:#6 by kandscreeley
» 23 May 2017, 17:58

Thanks jaime! It definitely took me a few minutes to figure it out. I thought I missed something. Still a good story though.
― Ernest Hemingway
kandscreeley

View Reviewer Page

Post Number:#7 by christinac_2585
» 23 May 2017, 20:32

Wonderful review! I find that the fact and fiction being intertwined intriguing. I love a good book that includes pirates. Great review!
"Books are the plane, and the train, and the road. They are the destination, and the journey. They are home."
- Anna Quindlen
christinac_2585's Latest Review: "Escaped the Night" by Jennifer Blyth
christinac_2585

Currently Reading: City of Ashes
Bookshelf Size: 62 books

View Reviewer Page
Reading Device: Fire HD 7 Tablet
Goal Completion: 47%

Post Number:#8 by kandscreeley
» 24 May 2017, 07:37

bookowlie wrote:Great review! I like books that mix fact and fiction so I am going to take a second look at this one. I love your phrase "mistakes littering the pages of the book." It's such an apt description since numerous errors in a book are a messy, annoying distraction.

Thanks bookowlie! I even looked up the pirates on google to get more information. It was quite interesting. I loved that part of it!

-- 24 May 2017, 07:38 --

christinac_2585 wrote:Wonderful review! I find that the fact and fiction being intertwined intriguing. I love a good book that includes pirates. Great review!

If you like a book about pirates, this is for you. Although it's more about hunting the treasure. It was interesting to look the pirates up and google and confirm some of what the author wrote.
― Ernest Hemingway
kandscreeley

View Reviewer Page

Post Number:#9 by sunnelro
» 24 May 2017, 08:58

The book is wonderful in respect of posterity
sunnelro

Bookshelf Size: 0 books
2017 Reading Goal: 0 Books

Post Number:#10 by Rosemary Okoko
» 20 Jun 2017, 03:35

A treasure hunt story is a must read for me. I like adventure. How could the author refer to Abigail as Amanda? Thank you for noticing this mix up and pointing it out to help readers avoid getting confused. Nice review.
Rosemary Okoko's Latest Review: "Book Blueprint" by Jacqui Pretty
Rosemary Okoko

Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 42 books

View Reviewer Page
2017 Reading Goal: 20 Books
Goal Completion: 30%

Post Number:#11 by kandscreeley
» 20 Jun 2017, 07:48

That little mix up threw me off for a few seconds for sure. I was scrambling around trying to figure out if I missed something. Thanks for reading.
― Ernest Hemingway
kandscreeley

View Reviewer Page

Post Number:#12 by Rogers getange
» 22 Jun 2017, 03:39