Forum Navigation: Forum Index » Books and Reading » Reviews and Discussions about Specific Books and Series » Crime, Thrillers, Mystery and Horror Books

Want FREE books and FREE Amazon gift cards?

Each day we announce via email a book that is either FREE or on a temporary sale at a great discount price. These are not your average free books. These are incredible insider deals on well-rated books. OnlineBookClub.org is where tomorrow's bestsellers are born. We also give away over $1,000 per month of free Amazon gift cards in free daily giveaways, exclusively to those signed up to these announcements! Hurry, sign up free now:

Sorry, this proves you are human.

Official Review: The Last Train by Michael Pronko

Please use this sub-forum to discuss any crime, thriller, mystery or horror books or series.

Official Review: The Last Train by Michael Pronko

Post Number:#1 by katiesquilts
» 16 May 2017, 05:56

[Following is an official OnlineBookClub.org review of "The Last Train" by Michael Pronko.]

Book Cover
4 out of 4 stars
Review by katiesquilts
Share This Review

In Tokyo, the main form of transportation used by millions of commuters each day can easily become a deadly force. Trains – subways, commuter lines, express and bullet trains – run like clockwork with barely a minute’s delay. If you were planning to kill yourself in Tokyo, your first and most likely option would be to jump onto the tracks -- an option that, unfortunately, many people choose every day. What if you wanted to kill someone else?

Detective Hiroshi Shimizu mostly works with money laundering, tracking illegal funds, the sort of thing that he can do alone on his computer. However, when he receives a visit from his friend Takamatsu in homicide, he’s pulled into Tokyo’s dark underside. He runs all over Tokyo, from hostess clubs in Roppongi to Narita airport, trying to track down who may have killed a foreign businessman working in Japan. Marking the death as a suicide would be the easiest route, but the foreigner was seen with a beautiful woman right before his death. Unlike with his money laundering work, this time Hiroshi’s not sitting on the other side of a screen from the bad guys. He’s working on a time limit as well, hoping that he can find the mystery woman – before she finds him first.

The Last Train is Michael Pronko’s first full-blown novel. Pronko is known as an expert on Japan, and has written a variety of articles and essays about Japanese culture. In The Last Train, he puts all of his knowledge to use to create a vibrant and true-to-form Tokyo. As a reader living in Tokyo, I experienced déjà vu reading about the exact train I was riding on. If I didn’t know better, I would have thought The Last Train was an English translation of a Japanese crime novel.

Besides the larger-than-life descriptions, I enjoyed the characters and the way they interacted with each other. There were many characters in the novel, as Hiroshi followed leads and hunted down his suspect. Each character, even the seemingly minor characters, left lasting impressions. I was actually disappointed when the end of the novel came around, wanting to learn more about the characters and what they would do next.

Honestly, I couldn’t find one mistake or quirk in the entire novel. I would definitely recommend it to crime and murder mystery fans, especially those with an interest in Japanese culture. There’s nothing too graphic despite the mention of multiple murders. However, it’s a bit slowed-pace and true to real investigations, so it may not suit those looking for a lot of action in their novels. Overall, I give The Last Train 4 out of 4 stars and am looking forward to reading Pronko’s other novels, also featuring Detective Hiroshi.

The Last Train
View: on Bookshelves

Like katiesquilts's review? Post a comment saying so!
katiesquilts's Latest Review: "The Last Train" by Michael Pronko
katiesquilts

Currently Reading: A Game of Thrones
Bookshelf Size: 567 books

View Reviewer Page
2017 Reading Goal: 25 Books
Goal Completion: 36%

Did you know?

Once you join the forums and log in you will get to enjoy a very ad-reduced experience. It's easy and completely free!

Re: Official Review: The Last Train by Michael Pronko

Post Number:#2 by kandscreeley
» 17 May 2017, 12:06

Wow! Now this sounds like a novel idea (pardon the pun). I didn't know there were that many people that committed suicide by train. I don't think it's a way I would want to go. However, it seems like murder would be awfully hard to prove, so it would make a great crime novel! Thanks for the review.
“There is no friend as loyal as a book.”
― Ernest Hemingway
kandscreeley's Latest Review: "Fleeting Visions" by Rene Natan
kandscreeley

Currently Reading: Luna
Bookshelf Size: 66 books

View Reviewer Page
2017 Reading Goal: 100 Books
Goal Completion: 50%

Post Number:#3 by MarisaRose
» 17 May 2017, 15:15

I can honestly say I've never read a book with such a unique premise! I'm glad you found the setting so authentic. I'm very interested in this one!
"No two persons ever read the same book." -Edmund Wilson
MarisaRose's Latest Review: "Strong Heart" by Charlie Sheldon
MarisaRose

Favorite Book: Harry Potter and the Prisoner of Azkaban
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 131 books

View Reviewer Page
Reading Device: Kindle Paperwhite
2017 Reading Goal: 25 Books
Goal Completion: 172%

Post Number:#4 by godreaujea
» 17 May 2017, 21:06

I love that you were able to connect with this book the way you did! It must have made the read that much better! Thanks for the awesome review :)
godreaujea's Latest Review: "Raven's Peak" by Lincoln Cole
godreaujea

Currently Reading: Station Eleven
Bookshelf Size: 333 books

View Reviewer Page
2017 Reading Goal: 50 Books
Goal Completion: 48%

Post Number:#5 by Radhika_17
» 17 May 2017, 23:52

I'm an ardent fan of Micheal's writing, and with this review, I can't wait to read this book myself! Thank you, I'm sure I'm going to enjoy it!

-- 18 May 2017, 00:52 --

I'm an ardent fan of Micheal's writing, and with this review, I can't wait to read this book myself! Thank you, I'm sure I'm going to enjoy it!
Radhika_17

Favorite Author: Paulo Coelho
Favorite Book: The Alchemist
Currently Reading: Vacation To Graceland
Bookshelf Size: 22 books

View Reviewer Page
Reading Device: Kindle Paperwhite
2017 Reading Goal: 0 Books
Goal Completion: 0%

Post Number:#6 by bica
» 18 May 2017, 07:38

:techie-studyingbrown: Hi. This is the first review I have read here. I think it is really a very good one, because it makes read the book, though I have not heard about this author before. Congrats!
bica

Favorite Book: Out Loud
Currently Reading: Somewhere the Sun is Shining
Bookshelf Size: 7 books

Post Number:#7 by Zero
» 18 May 2017, 08:41

I like the idea and the plot of the novel. The subways and trains make the perfect setting for a crime novel, as it is very difficult to find if it was a suicide or a homicide. Thanks to your review that I got the idea of the novel.
Zero

Currently Reading: An Unsuitable Boy
Bookshelf Size: 18 books

Post Number:#8 by ZenaLei7
» 18 May 2017, 09:11

This seems like an interesting read; however, I usually like to read books that are fast paced. I also like a lot of action in the books I read so I think I'll pass on this book. Great job on the review!
“The only important thing in a book is the meaning that it has for you.” - W. Somerset Maugham
ZenaLei7

Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 34 books

View Reviewer Page
2017 Reading Goal: 30 Books
Goal Completion: 93%

Post Number:#9 by Miriam Molina
» 20 May 2017, 12:03

I was recently in Japan and have a brother who lives there. According to him, many people do commit suicide by jumping onto train tracks. (Guns are banned in Japan so that's not an available route to ending one's misery.)

The good rating makes me want to try this book.
Miriam Molina's Latest Review: "The Expelled" by Mois Benarroch
Miriam Molina

Currently Reading: Conviction
Bookshelf Size: 386 books

View Reviewer Page
2017 Reading Goal: 36 Books
Goal Completion: 27%

Post Number:#10 by Amagine
» 21 May 2017, 11:41

This sounds like a great detective novel with an interesting mystery! I would love to visit Tokyo someday so I'm also interested in reading the book because I would love to read the author's description of the different scenery or settings.

Great Review! 📓
There's no such thing as a kid who hates reading. There are kids who love reading, and kids who are reading the wrong books."-James Patterson
Amagine

Favorite Author: James Patterson
Favorite Book: Writing for Children and Teens
Currently Reading: Heavy Sketches - Volume II
Bookshelf Size: 614 books

View Reviewer Page
Reading Device: Fire HD 7 Tablet
2017 Reading Goal: 400 Books
Goal Completion: 37%

Post Number:#11 by ReadtoLive
» 21 May 2017, 16:38

This sounds really interesting. I've never read a mystery set in Japan, so that would be fun. I've heard about the speed of Japanese bullet trains, though I've never been there or been on one. Anyway, thanks for the really good review!
ReadtoLive

Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 529 books
2017 Reading Goal: 10 Books
Goal Completion: 350%