Official Review: A Fatal Cell Phone Video by Gary Reed

Please use this sub-forum to discuss any crime, thriller, mystery or horror books or series.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
kandscreeley
Special Discussion Leader
Currently Reading: The Door Within
Bookshelf Size: 487
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kandscreeley.html
Latest Review: The Elf Revelation by Jordan David

Official Review: A Fatal Cell Phone Video by Gary Reed

Post by kandscreeley »

[Following is an official OnlineBookClub.org review of "A Fatal Cell Phone Video" by Gary Reed.]
Book Cover
4 out of 4 stars
Share This Review

A Fatal Cell Phone Video is a legal thriller by author Gary Reed. The book is just about 400 pages and is separated by date and time instead of chapters. It is reminiscent of the television drama Law & Order.

Ann Medawar is taking a film class at a local college in Cincinnati. The class has been assigned the task of making a documentary. They have chosen the subject of illegal immigrants. In order to obtain more footage, Ann asks her husband Dr. Rafiq Medawar to check on some undocumented immigrants at a local motel. Their children are sick, and they don’t want to take them to a hospital for fear of being deported. Ann captures Dr. Medawar and a nurse entering and leaving the motel. Not long afterwards, Ann is murdered.

The police find the cell phone video of Dr. Medawar at the hotel with the nurse and assume he was having an affair. They arrest him for murdering his wife not only based on the cell phone video, but also because they have it in their head he is a Syrian Muslim. It doesn’t seem to matter that Dr. Medawar is a Catholic born in Cincinnati. Will the police be able to figure out who actually murdered Ann or will they convict Dr. Medawar?

This book starts off with a bang. We learn very early on in the story that Ann has been murdered. The rest of the book is then devoted to preparing a defense for Dr. Medawar as well as his actual trial. The author also includes a few side stories that are woven masterfully into the plot.

At first glance, the story might seem boring. I confess that before reading it, I was worried that it would put me to sleep. However, I was pleasantly surprised. Mr. Reed creates believable characters that I had no trouble identifying with. I was appalled at the bias that the county prosecutor shows at several points in the book. I felt sorry for Dr. Medawar as he not only dealt with the loss of his wife, but then had to deal with being prosecuted for that very crime. The story itself was also very realistic. I have seen too many news stories to think that people don’t get convicted for crimes they didn’t commit.

Overall, I have nothing negative to say about this book. The formatting was well done. I had no problems following along with the time line. In fact, I appreciated that the book was split out by date rather than trying to split it into chapters. I thought it flowed more nicely this way. I also found very little in the way of grammatical errors or mistakes. If I had anything to criticize, it would probably be the title. I feel like the title didn’t draw me in enough; it seems like it needs to be something more dramatic.

I rate A Fatal Cell Phone Video a 4 out of 4 stars. I enjoyed reading this book as it kept me wanting more. I would recommend this to anyone who enjoys legal thrillers or shows like Law & Order and even those who just want to read a good book!

A Fatal Cell Phone Video
View: on Bookshelves

Like kandscreeley's review? Post a comment saying so!
A book is a dream you hold in your hands.
—Neil Gaiman
Amagine
Favorite Author: James Patterson
Bookshelf Size: 721
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-amagine.html
Latest Review: "Salome and Gogo visit Soweto" by Cora Groenewald
Reading Device: B00IKPYKWG
fav_author_id: 3251

Post by Amagine »

The title caught my interest because the idea of a cell phone being a huge part of a murder case is intriguing. Also the fact you said you didn't have any negatives with the book makes me even more interested.
"Piglet noticed that even though he had a very small heart, it could hold a rather large amount of gratitude." -A.A Milne

"I am grateful for all the books that sparked my imagination." -Unknown
Latest Review: "Salome and Gogo visit Soweto" by Cora Groenewald
Azeline Arcenal
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 119
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-zenalei7.html
Latest Review: Christmas in the Kingdom of Kool by Joan J. Harris

Post by Azeline Arcenal »

This seems like an interesting read! I usually don't read thrillers, but I love watching shows like Law&Order. Great job on the review!
“The only important thing in a book is the meaning that it has for you.” - W. Somerset Maugham
kandscreeley

Post by kandscreeley »

Amagine wrote:The title caught my interest because the idea of a cell phone being a huge part of a murder case is intriguing. Also the fact you said you didn't have any negatives with the book makes me even more interested.
It was really good. I would recommend it!

-- 10 May 2017, 07:35 --
ZenaLei7 wrote:This seems like an interesting read! I usually don't read thrillers, but I love watching shows like Law&Order. Great job on the review!
If you like Law&Order, then you'd probably like this book. I'd say you should try it!
—Neil Gaiman
Shaira Anoba
Currently Reading: Raven's Peak
Bookshelf Size: 0

Post by Shaira Anoba »

Very good, recommended.
MarisaRose
Previous Member of the Month
Favorite Book: <a href="http://forums.onlinebookclub.org/shelve ... 665">Harry Potter and the Prisoner of Azkaban</a>
Currently Reading: The Family Upstairs
Bookshelf Size: 435
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-marisarose.html
Latest Review: The Magic Shard by eelonqa K harris
Reading Device: B00JG8GOWU

Post by MarisaRose »

I'm glad this one ended up being better than you originally anticipated. I agree about the title though - this one is definitely not very enticing and I don't think it does the plot you describe justice. Interesting review :)
Jaime Lync
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 120
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-jaime-lync.html
Latest Review: You Are A Christian. NOW WHAT? by James Rondinone

Post by Jaime Lync »

I agree with you that this book sounds like it could be a potential snore fest but it seems like the author pulled it off. Thanks for the honest and insightful review.

-- 10 May 2017, 11:34 --

I agree with you that this book sounds like it could be a potential snore fest but it seems like the author pulled it off. Thanks for the honest and insightful review.
kandscreeley

Post by kandscreeley »

Thanks Marisa! It definitely was better than I thought which I'm glad.

Jamie- Yes it turned out okay!
—Neil Gaiman
Chrys Brobbey
Currently Reading: Farmer Beau's Farm
Bookshelf Size: 134
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-chrys-brobbey.html
Latest Review: "Break up with Defeat" by Jermaine Francis

Post by Chrys Brobbey »

The theme of this book is a topical subject now, dealing with crime and immigration. I wonder if the author just captured the mood of nowadays for a story. Kudos for a good review
Latest Review: "Break up with Defeat" by Jermaine Francis
kandscreeley

Post by kandscreeley »

You are right Chrys. There are also themes of bias because of one's religion (or perceived religion in this case.) There are a lot of similarities to what is going on in today's world! Thanks!
—Neil Gaiman
Aimy
Bookshelf Size: 15
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-aimy.html
Latest Review: "Puffy and the Formidable Foe" by Marie Lepkowski and Ann Marie Hannon

Post by Aimy »

Great review! I like such books as they give us an insight into the real problems around us that people are facing due to bias and prejudice. I wish people, who harbor negative feelings against others without any legitimate reason and make others suffer, read such books.
Latest Review: "Puffy and the Formidable Foe" by Marie Lepkowski and Ann Marie Hannon
kandscreeley

Post by kandscreeley »

I agree Aimy. So many times we let our bias get in the way of true justice. Thanks for stopping by!
—Neil Gaiman
Manang Muyang
Previous Member of the Month
Favorite Book:
Currently Reading: Donny and Mary Grace's California Adventures
Bookshelf Size: 686
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-manang-muyang.html
Latest Review: Your Great Name by Shawn Funk
Reading Device: B00KC6I06S

Post by Manang Muyang »

I am a crime and suspense genre fanatic so this book is a good fit for me. I can't wait to read it too, considering the very positive review. I agree though that the title does not invite much interest.
Rosemary Okoko
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 89
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-rosemary-okoko.html
Latest Review: The Sins of a Master Race by Matthew Tysz

Post by Rosemary Okoko »

Being accused for a crime one did not commit is a must read for me. I will read this one. Thank you for the review.
kandscreeley

Post by kandscreeley »

Thanks Rosemary. Let me know if you enjoy it! I always welcome others' opinions of books.
—Neil Gaiman

Return to “Crime, Thrillers, Mystery and Horror Books”