Forum Navigation: Forum Index » Books and Reading » Reviews and Discussions about Specific Books and Series » Crime, Thrillers, Mystery and Horror Books

Want FREE books and FREE Amazon gift cards?

Each day we announce via email a book that is either FREE or on a temporary sale at a great discount price. These are not your average free books. These are incredible insider deals on well-rated books. OnlineBookClub.org is where tomorrow's bestsellers are born. We also give away over $1,000 per month of free Amazon gift cards in free daily giveaways, exclusively to those signed up to these announcements! Hurry, sign up free now:

Sorry, this proves you are human.

Official Review: A Fatal Cell Phone Video by Gary Reed

Please use this sub-forum to discuss any crime, thriller, mystery or horror books or series.

Official Review: A Fatal Cell Phone Video by Gary Reed

Post Number:#1 by kandscreeley
» 03 May 2017, 15:11

[Following is an official OnlineBookClub.org review of "A Fatal Cell Phone Video" by Gary Reed.]

Book Cover
4 out of 4 stars
Review by kandscreeley
Share This Review

A Fatal Cell Phone Video is a legal thriller by author Gary Reed. The book is just about 400 pages and is separated by date and time instead of chapters. It is reminiscent of the television drama Law & Order.

Ann Medawar is taking a film class at a local college in Cincinnati. The class has been assigned the task of making a documentary. They have chosen the subject of illegal immigrants. In order to obtain more footage, Ann asks her husband Dr. Rafiq Medawar to check on some undocumented immigrants at a local motel. Their children are sick, and they don’t want to take them to a hospital for fear of being deported. Ann captures Dr. Medawar and a nurse entering and leaving the motel. Not long afterwards, Ann is murdered.

The police find the cell phone video of Dr. Medawar at the hotel with the nurse and assume he was having an affair. They arrest him for murdering his wife not only based on the cell phone video, but also because they have it in their head he is a Syrian Muslim. It doesn’t seem to matter that Dr. Medawar is a Catholic born in Cincinnati. Will the police be able to figure out who actually murdered Ann or will they convict Dr. Medawar?

This book starts off with a bang. We learn very early on in the story that Ann has been murdered. The rest of the book is then devoted to preparing a defense for Dr. Medawar as well as his actual trial. The author also includes a few side stories that are woven masterfully into the plot.

At first glance, the story might seem boring. I confess that before reading it, I was worried that it would put me to sleep. However, I was pleasantly surprised. Mr. Reed creates believable characters that I had no trouble identifying with. I was appalled at the bias that the county prosecutor shows at several points in the book. I felt sorry for Dr. Medawar as he not only dealt with the loss of his wife, but then had to deal with being prosecuted for that very crime. The story itself was also very realistic. I have seen too many news stories to think that people don’t get convicted for crimes they didn’t commit.

Overall, I have nothing negative to say about this book. The formatting was well done. I had no problems following along with the time line. In fact, I appreciated that the book was split out by date rather than trying to split it into chapters. I thought it flowed more nicely this way. I also found very little in the way of grammatical errors or mistakes. If I had anything to criticize, it would probably be the title. I feel like the title didn’t draw me in enough; it seems like it needs to be something more dramatic.

I rate A Fatal Cell Phone Video a 4 out of 4 stars. I enjoyed reading this book as it kept me wanting more. I would recommend this to anyone who enjoys legal thrillers or shows like Law & Order and even those who just want to read a good book!

A Fatal Cell Phone Video
View: on Bookshelves

Like kandscreeley's review? Post a comment saying so!
“There is no friend as loyal as a book.”
― Ernest Hemingway
kandscreeley's Latest Review: "Golden Legacy" by Robert James Glider
kandscreeley

Currently Reading: Luna
Bookshelf Size: 67 books

View Reviewer Page
2017 Reading Goal: 100 Books
Goal Completion: 51%

Did you know?

Once you join the forums and log in you will get to enjoy a very ad-reduced experience. It's easy and completely free!

Re: Official Review: A Fatal Cell Phone Video by Gary Reed

Post Number:#2 by Amagine
» 09 May 2017, 22:16

The title caught my interest because the idea of a cell phone being a huge part of a murder case is intriguing. Also the fact you said you didn't have any negatives with the book makes me even more interested.
There's no such thing as a kid who hates reading. There are kids who love reading, and kids who are reading the wrong books."-James Patterson
Amagine

Favorite Author: James Patterson
Favorite Book: Writing for Children and Teens
Currently Reading: Heavy Sketches - Volume II
Bookshelf Size: 614 books

View Reviewer Page
Reading Device: Fire HD 7 Tablet
2017 Reading Goal: 400 Books
Goal Completion: 37%

Post Number:#3 by ZenaLei7
» 09 May 2017, 23:03

This seems like an interesting read! I usually don't read thrillers, but I love watching shows like Law&Order. Great job on the review!
“The only important thing in a book is the meaning that it has for you.” - W. Somerset Maugham
ZenaLei7

Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 34 books

View Reviewer Page
2017 Reading Goal: 30 Books
Goal Completion: 93%

Post Number:#4 by kandscreeley
» 10 May 2017, 07:34

Amagine wrote:The title caught my interest because the idea of a cell phone being a huge part of a murder case is intriguing. Also the fact you said you didn't have any negatives with the book makes me even more interested.

It was really good. I would recommend it!

-- 10 May 2017, 07:35 --

ZenaLei7 wrote:This seems like an interesting read! I usually don't read thrillers, but I love watching shows like Law&Order. Great job on the review!

If you like Law&Order, then you'd probably like this book. I'd say you should try it!
― Ernest Hemingway
kandscreeley

View Reviewer Page

Post Number:#5 by Shaira Anoba
» 10 May 2017, 08:22

Very good, recommended.
Shaira Anoba

Currently Reading: Raven's Peak
Bookshelf Size: 0 books
2017 Reading Goal: 0 Books
Goal Completion: 0%

Post Number:#6 by MarisaRose
» 10 May 2017, 10:12

I'm glad this one ended up being better than you originally anticipated. I agree about the title though - this one is definitely not very enticing and I don't think it does the plot you describe justice. Interesting review :)
"No two persons ever read the same book." -Edmund Wilson
MarisaRose's Latest Review: "Strong Heart" by Charlie Sheldon
MarisaRose

Favorite Book: Harry Potter and the Prisoner of Azkaban
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 131 books

View Reviewer Page
Reading Device: Kindle Paperwhite
2017 Reading Goal: 25 Books
Goal Completion: 172%

Post Number:#7 by Jaime Lync
» 10 May 2017, 11:34

I agree with you that this book sounds like it could be a potential snore fest but it seems like the author pulled it off. Thanks for the honest and insightful review.

-- 10 May 2017, 11:34 --

I agree with you that this book sounds like it could be a potential snore fest but it seems like the author pulled it off. Thanks for the honest and insightful review.
Jaime Lync's Latest Review: "Farmer Beau's Farm" by Kathleen Geiger
Jaime Lync

Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 34 books

View Reviewer Page
2017 Reading Goal: 12 Books
Goal Completion: 275%

Post Number:#8 by kandscreeley
» 10 May 2017, 12:00

Thanks Marisa! It definitely was better than I thought which I'm glad.

Jamie- Yes it turned out okay!
― Ernest Hemingway
kandscreeley

View Reviewer Page

Post Number:#9 by Chrys Brobbey
» 11 May 2017, 01:21

The theme of this book is a topical subject now, dealing with crime and immigration. I wonder if the author just captured the mood of nowadays for a story. Kudos for a good review
Chrys Brobbey

Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 129 books

View Reviewer Page
2017 Reading Goal: 50 Books
Goal Completion: 18%

Post Number:#10 by kandscreeley
» 11 May 2017, 08:29

You are right Chrys. There are also themes of bias because of one's religion (or perceived religion in this case.) There are a lot of similarities to what is going on in today's world! Thanks!
― Ernest Hemingway
kandscreeley

View Reviewer Page

Post Number:#11 by Aimy
» 11 May 2017, 12:53

Great review! I like such books as they give us an insight into the real problems around us that people are facing due to bias and prejudice. I wish people, who harbor negative feelings against others without any legitimate reason and make others suffer, read such books.
Aimy

Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 11 books

View Reviewer Page
2017 Reading Goal: 0 Books
Goal Completion: 0%

Post Number:#12 by kandscreeley
» 11 May 2017, 12:58

I agree Aimy. So many times we let our bias get in the way of true justice. Thanks for stopping by!
― Ernest Hemingway
kandscreeley

View Reviewer Page

Post Number:#13 by Miriam Molina
» 11 May 2017, 15:04

I am a crime and suspense genre fanatic so this book is a good fit for me. I can't wait to read it too, considering the very positive review. I agree though that the title does not invite much interest.
Miriam Molina's Latest Review: "The Expelled" by Mois Benarroch
Miriam Molina

Currently Reading: Conviction
Bookshelf Size: 387 books

View Reviewer Page
2017 Reading Goal: 36 Books
Goal Completion: 30%