Forum Navigation: Forum Index » Books and Reading » Reviews and Discussions about Specific Books and Series » Crime, Thrillers, Mystery and Horror Books

Want FREE books and FREE Amazon gift cards?

Each day we announce via email a book that is either FREE or on a temporary sale at a great discount price. These are not your average free books. These are incredible insider deals on well-rated books. OnlineBookClub.org is where tomorrow's bestsellers are born. We also give away over $1,000 per month of free Amazon gift cards in free daily giveaways, exclusively to those signed up to these announcements! Hurry, sign up free now:

Sorry, this proves you are human.

Official Review: When Leaves Fall by C.A. King

Please use this sub-forum to discuss any crime, thriller, mystery or horror books or series.

Official Review: When Leaves Fall by C.A. King

Post Number:#1 by CataclysmicKnight
» 01 May 2017, 16:17

[Following is an official OnlineBookClub.org review of "When Leaves Fall" by C.A. King.]

Book Cover
4 out of 4 stars
Review by CataclysmicKnight
Share This Review

Ralph wakes up with vision issues in his left eye and trouble remembering what caused it or how he ended up in a small, badly-thrown-together shack. He soon realizes there's a way out, but when he walks out of the shack he's choked and yanked back. It's then he realizes it - he's chained up and can't escape after all. To make matters worse, when he turns to return to the shack he's hit by something repeatedly until he's knocked out. When Ralph awakens he's in great pain and is trying to figure out what's going on. Who is this man? Why is he being treated this way? Where is his family? Why won't anyone he hears nearby come save him when he calls out for them?

C.A. King, author of When Leaves Fall describes her book perfectly as "a dramatic thriller with a twist". I was hooked from the first page, wondering where Ralph was, why he was there and how he would escape. He's given scraps of food, only the gristle and fatty pieces, but he becomes so desperate he even eats those happily. He's in constant pain, forced to use the bathroom just outside the shack where he can still smell it and does little more than eat and sleep. Things become so hopeless that he even decides the next time he gets the opportunity he'll fight back against his captor, figuring either he'll be let free or killed. Death, Ralph believes, would be better than how he's living now.

C.A. King wasn't lying when she said the book had a twist, and this one is one of the best I've ever seen in any form of media. It kills me to be unable to talk about it, but I know it would ruin the experience if I did. Let me just say this - you'll be blown away! I actually set the book down for a moment and went back to re-read a few pages I was so surprised! This isn't the type of mystery novel where loose ends and plot holes abound, in fact it's exactly the opposite - even after going back through and hoping to find things that go against the surprise I couldn't find a single mistake. The book is expertly written, kept hold of my attention from the first page and never let go. Despite being only 56 pages in paperback it managed to become one of my favorite books of all time.

In addition to the twist and the plot, the writing here is smooth as silk. I noticed only one grammatical error and I breezed through reading the book in record time. My eyes never once stumbled while reading and the scenes are set excellently. There's also an invaluable (surprise) theme here at the end that I'm sure many folks can relate to, and it made the perfect icing on the top of an exceptional book.

There's no question, my official rating for When Leaves Fall is 4 out of 4 stars and I can't recommend it enough. If you like suspense, mystery or a good twist you'll love it, and even if you typically shy away from those genres you'll love it too. The book very briefly covers violence and there's no gore, brutal violence, sex or cussing. It was so good that I looked up what else C.A. King has written, and now I want to read the rest of her books as well! If they're anywhere near as good as this one she's definitely an author to follow.

When Leaves Fall
View: on Bookshelves | on Barnes and Noble | on iTunes

Like CataclysmicKnight's review? Post a comment saying so!
Nothing is true, everything is permitted.
CataclysmicKnight's Latest Review: "Walking Blind:" by Robert L Canfield
CataclysmicKnight

Favorite Book: Ready Player One
Currently Reading: Achieve Your Dreams
Bookshelf Size: 351 books

View Reviewer Page
2017 Reading Goal: 150 Books
Goal Completion: 58%

Did you know?

Once you join the forums and log in you will get to enjoy a very ad-reduced experience. It's easy and completely free!

Re: Official Review: When Leaves Fall by C.A. King

Post Number:#2 by Amagine
» 02 May 2017, 05:07

It sounds like a great mystery story. I'm not a huge fan of thrillers but this book does sound interesting.

Great Review! 📺
"That's the thing about books. They let you travel without moving your feet." -Jhumpa Lahiri

"Once you learn to read, you will be forever free." -Frederick Douglass
Amagine's Latest Review: "The Tattered Box" by Paul Schumacher
Amagine

Favorite Author: James Patterson
Favorite Book: Writing for Children and Teens
Currently Reading: The Little Witch
Bookshelf Size: 692 books

View Reviewer Page
Reading Device: Fire HD 7 Tablet
2017 Reading Goal: 400 Books
Goal Completion: 42%

Post Number:#3 by CarrieMe
» 02 May 2017, 13:39

This sounds like a really cool story. I'm going to have to read it soon to find out what the cool twist is!
CarrieMe

Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 355 books

View Reviewer Page
2017 Reading Goal: 100 Books
Goal Completion: 8%

Post Number:#4 by csimmons032
» 02 May 2017, 13:49

Well the book definitely sounds intense, and your review of it has peaked my interest. I can't help but wonder, what this "big surprise" is so I may have to read it just to find that out. You did an excellent job with the review and I thank you for sharing it with us.
csimmons032's Latest Review: "Transforming Faith" by Fred Howard
csimmons032

Favorite Author: Stephenie Meyer
Favorite Book: Twilight and The Last Song
Currently Reading: The Cowboy Comes Home
Bookshelf Size: 707 books

View Reviewer Page
2017 Reading Goal: 0 Books
Goal Completion: 0%

Post Number:#5 by Chrys Brobbey
» 02 May 2017, 15:23

The review reads too good to be true - for as small a book as 56 pages. But I believe its authenticity, and I'm all fired up to get the book in my hands. If a novella is so good, then I believe that full length novels by the author would be even better.
I enjoyed reading the review - close to reading the book itself.
Chrys Brobbey's Latest Review: "Break up with Defeat" by Jermaine Francis
Chrys Brobbey

Currently Reading: Farmer Beau's Farm
Bookshelf Size: 133 books

View Reviewer Page
2017 Reading Goal: 50 Books
Goal Completion: 22%

Post Number:#6 by Ceciltrixiedom
» 02 May 2017, 21:03

I am amazed with the cover of the book, though my appreciation for book's credibility to read does not depends on the cover yet I am in love at first sight with this book.For me, there is something mysterious in the title ,maybe the same as the content. "When Leaves Fall" is figurative. Fall is symbolic for pain, hurt feeling, tortures even death! (Or any term for negative emotions.) I like the way the reviewer presents this thriller and suspense book...love reading the review....cant wait reading the book.
Ceciltrixiedom

Favorite Book: A Very Secret Affair
Currently Reading: The Language Of Flowers
Bookshelf Size: 31 books

Post Number:#7 by Kitkat3
» 03 May 2017, 00:21

"Writing as smooth as silk" and such a plot twist, sounds like a must read for me! Thanks for the review. I agree with Ceciltrixiedom; that's an interesting title and cover. I'm surprised that so much was accomplished in 56 pages; that's pretty amazing.
Kitkat3's Latest Review: "Black inked pearl" by Ruth finnegan
Kitkat3

Favorite Book: Milk and Honey
Currently Reading: All the Light We Cannot See
Bookshelf Size: 218 books

View Reviewer Page
2017 Reading Goal: 60 Books
Goal Completion: 40%

Post Number:#8 by Ceciltrixiedom
» 03 May 2017, 01:21

Thank you for appreciating my comment regarding the cover and title Miss Kitkat3.Actually everytime i buy books in the bookstore i just read the back summary of it. I just realize at the end when i was home that the cover and title as a whole is something i dont like lol. But the since the story flows artistically, the cover does not matter to me anymore.:)
Ceciltrixiedom

Favorite Book: A Very Secret Affair
Currently Reading: The Language Of Flowers
Bookshelf Size: 31 books

Post Number:#9 by mistysnow
» 03 May 2017, 23:44

I can sense your excitement about the book in your review which is awesome by the way. I'm not one for thrillers, but your review has sparked my interest. It makes me wonder if his family wasn't involved in all of this. This book no doubt sounds like a page turner for sure, it almost sounds creepy. Thank you for the review.
mistysnow

Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 28 books
Reading Device: Nook Simple

Post Number:#10 by melissamaecarolino
» 08 May 2017, 23:09

Sounds cool and interesting. Nice review.
melissamaecarolino

Currently Reading: The Expansion
Bookshelf Size: 5 books

Post Number:#11 by Miriam Molina
» 20 May 2017, 12:55

Your enthusiastic review of this book has definitely convinced me to read it very soon. C.A. King seems to be on the path to fame. Congratulations!
Miriam Molina

Currently Reading: A Stained White Radiance
Bookshelf Size: 438 books

View Reviewer Page
2017 Reading Goal: 36 Books
Goal Completion: 102%

Post Number:#12 by Jaime Lync
» 26 May 2017, 20:32

This sounds so interesting. Great review.
Jaime Lync's Latest Review: "My Author Is Dead" by Michel Bruneau
Jaime Lync

Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 61 books

View Reviewer Page
2017 Reading Goal: 12 Books
Goal Completion: 483%

Post Number:#13 by Annabel
» 31 May 2017, 09:45

Can't wait to read it.... seems interesting
Annabel

Bookshelf Size: 0 books

Post Number:#14 by Scerakor
» 07 Jun 2017, 06:10

This sounded like a fun read from the blurb alone but your glowing review makes it seem amazing. Often when a book (or other media) is purported to have a twist, that is a spoiler in and of itself. It seems to me between the author and yourself you have turned it into just the opposite: suspense. Thanks for the review.
Scerakor's Latest Review: "Programmed To Kill" by David Murray
Scerakor

Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 69 books

View Reviewer Page
2017 Reading Goal: 52 Books
Goal Completion: 92%

Post Number:#15 by gali
» 07 Jun 2017, 06:28

Sounds interesting! It does sound like "a dramatic thriller with a twist". A book that grabs one from the first page must be good. A bit short for my taste, but will check it out. Thank you for the review!
In the case of good books, the point is not to see how many of them you can get through, but rather how many can get through to you." (Mortimer J. Adler)
gali's Latest Review: "Enough Rope" by P.L. Doss
gali
Site Admin

Favorite Author: Agatha Christie
Favorite Book: Pride and Prejudice
Currently Reading: The Cat Who Played Post Office
Bookshelf Size: 1653 books

View Reviewer Page
Reading Device: Kindle (E-Ink)
2017 Reading Goal: 100 Books
Goal Completion: 74%

Next