Official Review: Deacon's Winter by Roger Burgraff

Please use this sub-forum to discuss any crime, thriller, mystery or horror books or series.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
Momlovesbooks
Previous Member of the Month
Currently Reading: A Book for Oreo
Bookshelf Size: 253
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-momlovesbooks.html
Latest Review: Winter's Kiss by H.L. Hines

Official Review: Deacon's Winter by Roger Burgraff

Post by Momlovesbooks »

[Following is an official OnlineBookClub.org review of "Deacon's Winter" by Roger Burgraff.]
Book Cover
4 out of 4 stars
Share This Review

Deacon's Winter is a suspenseful thriller by Roger Burgraff. This book is a page-turner from the first page to the last. The action began immediately and kept me engaged until the very end. I had trouble putting this one down.

The protagonist, Deacon Adelius, is an actual deacon at Saint Sebastian's Catholic Church in Chicago, Illinois. He grew up on the streets in this area and has maintained many contacts throughout the city. After his time in the Army, he returned to the city to do the work of the church. He is also a member of a secret society within the Catholic Church that helps effectively rid itself of sexual predators.

The story begins with Deacon trying to protect a battered woman, Amber, that arrives at his church seeking safety. She is followed by the men that beat her. Before Deacon can find out what happened to her, he is wounded and she is kidnapped. Her body is found, along with Deacon's sweatshirt. He becomes a prime suspect and is suddenly thrown into a world of evil and deception. With the help of Amber's sister, Ann, he embarks on a mission to reveal the truth about the hidden corruption in his city. During the struggles and dangers of his search, he forms a bond with Ann and they fall in love.

Burgraff does an excellent job of keeping an interesting, complex plot line moving along. There are twists and turns throughout, but they are easily followed with such a smooth writing style.

The author uses details and images to take us through the streets of Chicago and glimpse it's many layers. The villains and the engaging main character and his friends are, by far, the best way the author communicates the different facets of this city. Deacon is a likable protagonist, even though he isn't perfect. He is a flawed human being who is just trying to do the right thing. His many friends and contacts throughout the city range from a dedicated nun to a shady childhood friend. I have to admit that Deacon's longtime friend, Leo, was one of my favorite characters. Although he has a questionable reputation, he will do anything to help Deacon and make sure the truth prevails.

I noticed some strange spacing in the paragraphs, but I'm not sure if it was just my format of the downloaded copy or an actual editing issue. I would suggest the author look into that issue so it doesn't hinder anyone from reading this exciting book. I thoroughly enjoyed this story and still rate it 4 out of 4 stars. Anyone who enjoys action, intrigue and deep thoughts about human nature will enjoy this thriller. I look forward to a sequel.

Deacon's Winter
View: on Bookshelves

Like Momlovesbooks's review? Post a comment saying so!
Mrfreelz
Bookshelf Size: 0

Post by Mrfreelz »

Truly the truth happens to be one of the things that cannot be hidden, according to the review, one man standing against a whole deceitful city will surely be captivating for one to read. Good job
Chrys Brobbey
Currently Reading: Farmer Beau's Farm
Bookshelf Size: 134
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-chrys-brobbey.html
Latest Review: "Break up with Defeat" by Jermaine Francis

Post by Chrys Brobbey »

I like that it is a thrilling story well crafted, and also the fact that it provides details and images of the city of Chicago. It is a place that interested me on my past visits, and I still want to know more about it. Thanks for an enjoyable review.
Latest Review: "Break up with Defeat" by Jermaine Francis
kandscreeley
Special Discussion Leader
Currently Reading: The Door Within
Bookshelf Size: 487
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kandscreeley.html
Latest Review: The Elf Revelation by Jordan David

Post by kandscreeley »

Oooh! This definitely sounds like one I would enjoy. I'm definitely putting this one on my list! Thanks for the great review. You have me intrigued now!
A book is a dream you hold in your hands.
—Neil Gaiman
Amagine
Favorite Author: James Patterson
Bookshelf Size: 721
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-amagine.html
Latest Review: "Salome and Gogo visit Soweto" by Cora Groenewald
Reading Device: B00IKPYKWG
fav_author_id: 3251

Post by Amagine »

This sounds like quite the story! It seems to have so many elements and plot to it. I'm interested in the fact that you said that the author tells the story the best with the characters. That means that they are complicated and very well developed...that sounds perfect to me!

Great Review! ?
"Piglet noticed that even though he had a very small heart, it could hold a rather large amount of gratitude." -A.A Milne

"I am grateful for all the books that sparked my imagination." -Unknown
Latest Review: "Salome and Gogo visit Soweto" by Cora Groenewald
greenstripedgiraffe
Previous Member of the Month
Currently Reading: The New Strong-Willed Child
Bookshelf Size: 274
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-greenstripedgiraffe.html
Latest Review: Swarm by Guy Morris

Post by greenstripedgiraffe »

Hey, this sounds like a very well-thought through book. Great topic! Thanks for the review!
"no one down here" --- Up the Down Staircase
Latest Review: Swarm by Guy Morris
Sewlful
Currently Reading: Sick Puppy
Bookshelf Size: 30

Post by Sewlful »

Good review, now I'll have to put this one on my bookshelf too. I enjoy a good mystery & this one sounds like one I will enjoy. Thanx
Jaime Lync
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 120
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-jaime-lync.html
Latest Review: You Are A Christian. NOW WHAT? by James Rondinone

Post by Jaime Lync »

Great review. I am reminded of Constantine. Sounds intriguing.
Kitkat3
Favorite Book: <a href="http://forums.onlinebookclub.org/shelve ... 1496">Milk and Honey</a>
Currently Reading: All the Light We Cannot See
Bookshelf Size: 254
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kitkat3.html
Latest Review: A Bundle of Colorful Yarns by Louis Winslow

Post by Kitkat3 »

Great review! This sounds like a book that I would really enjoy. I like that the plot and characters are complex and the setting is described vividly.
godreaujea
Currently Reading: Station Eleven
Bookshelf Size: 347
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-godreaujea.html
Latest Review: Island Games by Caleb J. Boyer

Post by godreaujea »

This book sounds really intriguing! Awesome review, and I look forward to checking it out!
Bettytit
Currently Reading: Randy Love...at your service
Bookshelf Size: 2
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-bettytit.html

Post by Bettytit »

I have only just started out and the review is good enough to make this my very first book! Thank you for a gripping review, how much more the real stuff!
John Cand
Bookshelf Size: 10
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-john-cand.html
Latest Review: "Strong Heart" by Charlie Sheldon

Post by John Cand »

Wow. This sounds really interesting. Nice review.
Latest Review: "Strong Heart" by Charlie Sheldon
Rosemary Okoko
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 89
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-rosemary-okoko.html
Latest Review: The Sins of a Master Race by Matthew Tysz

Post by Rosemary Okoko »

Good to know that you thoroughly enjoyed this book. This is a plus for the author. I will read this book. Thank you for the honest review.

Return to “Crime, Thrillers, Mystery and Horror Books”