Official Review: An Enemy Within by Roy David

Please use this sub-forum to discuss any crime, thriller, mystery or horror books or series.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
ananya92
Favorite Author: Jeffrey Archer
Favorite Book: Pride and Prejudice
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 111
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-ananya92.html
Latest Review: A Passover in Peshawar by AM Sardar
fav_author_id: 4949

Official Review: An Enemy Within by Roy David

Post by ananya92 »

[Following is an official OnlineBookClub.org review of "An Enemy Within" by Roy David.]
Book Cover
4 out of 4 stars
Share This Review

An Enemy Within by Roy David is a book in the political thriller genre. The story is set against the backdrop of the US attack on Iraq in 2003.

Lieutenant Matt McDermott thought he was serving his nation, fighting for justice, and following God’s will; but a terrible incident shatters his illusions. Now a pair of brown eyes haunts him day and night, and endangers his sanity. Unknown to him, he is the centerpiece in a plan to boost the President’s re-election campaign, a scheme concocted by people calling the shots in the government. Alexandra Stead (or Alex), a freelance photographer, is roped in to follow the lieutenant and photograph the future star of the re-election campaign. Though unsupportive of the war, her lean finances compel her to join Gene Kowolski, Senior Special Advisor at the Pentagon, on a trip to Iraq.

Kowolski prided himself on his careful plotting abilities, but he had mixed feelings about the lieutenant. Something about the soldier reminded him of ‘unknown unknowns’ – ‘things we do not know we don’t know’. Was it only the lieutenant or were his own feelings the ‘unknown’ factor in the equation? Three lives are inextricably entangled by an explosive secret, and it all hinges on Matt. What will be the consequences, when the powers that be find out that their perfect pawn is not willing to play their game anymore?

“A cohort of political elite had betrayed the trust of the people like an enemy within.” This sentence aptly explains the novel, as well the Iraqi debacle of 2003. The book made me ponder if the human right violations during the war were worse than what was supposedly being perpetrated by the dictatorial regime in Iraq. Now that almost a decade and a half has elapsed since the event, and the ISIS has emerged as biggest crisis of our times, there is no doubt that the US invasion of Iraq was a serious miscalculation. “Once the lid is off the box who knows what will crawl out?”

Written in third person omniscient point of view, the author has penned down an authentic narrative, which does not go over-the-top with the action element, and yet keeps the reader hooked with an uncomplicated but well-written, riveting plot. This book takes the reader on a fast-paced, gripping journey, meandering through political machinations of the then American regime, the harrowing struggles faced by the Iraqi people, the ethical dilemmas confronting the soldiers, and a conflict of professional growth vis-à-vis personal beliefs that journalists had to grapple with. The author’s realistic depiction of Post-Traumatic Stress Disorder (PSTD), portrayed through Matt’s character, deserves a special mention.

Coming to the characterization, the author has carved well-rounded, believable characters, and not just the primary ones, but even the supporting characters have a meaty role in the story. From the beginning, it is clear that Matt is the hero, the good guy caught in an evil situation, and his internal struggles with his conscience are painful to read. What is worse is that it is the political class that benefits from playing with soldiers’ lives, their sacrifices and mental misery, as the author correctly points out. The author presents an interesting character in Alex who wants to do some good, but is helpless against the might of the CIA. Kuwolski portrays an intriguing grey character that sees his actions in a different light and has to watch others endure the grave consequences of his manipulations.

This book is a good reminder, not just of the war, but also the greed and thirst of power that motivated the war. Readers, who like an engrossing, emotionally charged, and thought-provoking political/war thriller, should try this one. I rate this novel 4 out of 4 stars.

An Enemy Within
View: on Bookshelves | on Amazon

Like ananya92's review? Post a comment saying so!
Amagine
Favorite Author: James Patterson
Bookshelf Size: 721
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-amagine.html
Latest Review: "Salome and Gogo visit Soweto" by Cora Groenewald
Reading Device: B00IKPYKWG
fav_author_id: 3251

Post by Amagine »

This definitely sounds like a thought -provoking book! I'm not a big fan of war thrillers but I am interested in any book that lets me dive into the human conscious. The characters sound like they are well developed so it'll be interesting seeing things from their point of view.

Great Review! ?
"Piglet noticed that even though he had a very small heart, it could hold a rather large amount of gratitude." -A.A Milne

"I am grateful for all the books that sparked my imagination." -Unknown
Latest Review: "Salome and Gogo visit Soweto" by Cora Groenewald
ananya92
Currently Reading:

Post by ananya92 »

Thanks!
Chrys Brobbey
Currently Reading: Farmer Beau's Farm
Bookshelf Size: 134
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-chrys-brobbey.html
Latest Review: "Break up with Defeat" by Jermaine Francis

Post by Chrys Brobbey »

The book, even though fiction, is a reflection on the realities of the Iraq invasion. The review delves into that aspect very well. This could serve as a caution tale for decisions in future.
Latest Review: "Break up with Defeat" by Jermaine Francis
kandscreeley
Special Discussion Leader
Currently Reading: The Door Within
Bookshelf Size: 487
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kandscreeley.html
Latest Review: The Elf Revelation by Jordan David

Post by kandscreeley »

This sounds like a great book, but I am completely put off to political thrillers right now. Thanks for the review though. I might keep it in my mind for the future.
A book is a dream you hold in your hands.
—Neil Gaiman
ananya92
Currently Reading:

Post by ananya92 »

Thank you! :)
Jaime Lync
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 120
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-jaime-lync.html
Latest Review: You Are A Christian. NOW WHAT? by James Rondinone

Post by Jaime Lync »

This seems really interesting but like Kandscreeley I seem to be put off from reading political thrillers at the moment.

Return to “Crime, Thrillers, Mystery and Horror Books”