Forum Navigation: Forum Index » Books and Reading » Reviews and Discussions about Specific Books and Series » Crime, Thrillers, Mystery and Horror Books

Want FREE books and FREE Amazon gift cards?

Each day we announce via email a book that is either FREE or on a temporary sale at a great discount price. These are not your average free books. These are incredible insider deals on well-rated books. OnlineBookClub.org is where tomorrow's bestsellers are born. We also give away over $1,000 per month of free Amazon gift cards in free daily giveaways, exclusively to those signed up to these announcements! Hurry, sign up free now:

Sorry, this proves you are human.

Official Review: Flight Grounded by Joe Jarvis

Please use this sub-forum to discuss any crime, thriller, mystery or horror books or series.

Official Review: Flight Grounded by Joe Jarvis

Post Number:#1 by Scerakor
» 25 Apr 2017, 06:54

[Following is an official OnlineBookClub.org review of "Flight Grounded" by Joe Jarvis.]

Book Cover
4 out of 4 stars
Review by Scerakor
Share This Review

Jake Evans is just an average American who wanted to go on a vacation. He finally saved up enough money and his business was set up just the right way that he could let himself roam around Europe for a month. Unfortunately, someone has other plans; the plane and all the passengers, except Jake, blows up on the runway.

Flight Grounded by Joe Jarvis begins with Jake Evans waking up in a haze on the international flight he is supposed to be taking. He quickly realizes that he must have fallen asleep before take-off since they aren’t even off the ground yet. A few more moments of observation shows that he wasn’t the only one asleep, in fact, every single passenger on the plane is still unconscious! Flight attendants are installing IV’s and helmets onto the patients when they notice he is awake. The flight attendants and the rest of the crew try to subdue Jake but he manages to escape out the emergency exit, hop the airport fence, and continue running. All of a sudden, there is an explosion. Not long after, the news reports come in, “All passengers and crew on board are assumed dead, except for the man police say carried out the attack: Jake Evans.”

This book is a short, fun read that tries to keep you guessing throughout. This quick paced novella follows Jake and his brother as they attempt to flee the aftermath of the explosion and figure out why the authorities are trying to pin this atrocity on him. I really enjoyed this book as it had just enough action to maintain interest, just enough twists to keep you guessing, and a creative plot that allows you to question what you perceive as reality. As I read this book, I couldn’t help but try to pinpoint its genre by comparing it with other works. It had that “dystopian short story” feel to it like Vonnegut’s Harrison Bergeron or 2BR02B, it had the constant action of any crime thriller, it had the “trapped” feeling from every non-fiction I’ve read on North Korea, and it had that “can this actually be the truth” feel from any good conspiracy theory. What I liked most about this book is how, given an open mind, the conspiracies presented in this book could actually be real and no one would be the wiser! Joe Jarvis has created an interesting world in a very short book, which has the potential for further expansion.

There are two minor details that I didn’t enjoy about the book. First, the length of the book was very short. Considering that I enjoyed the story, this isn’t that big of a deal, but I believe that Jarvis has the potential for an excellent full-blown novel within this story. The opportunity for character expansion, side-plots from additional points of view, and expansion upon the world he created is readily apparent. Finally, what I disliked the most may seem in contrast with what was stated in the previous paragraph, but I think they complement each other. Whereas the story is “believable” as a conspiracy theory, the magic is only maintained if you are reading the book within the United States. As the conspiracy in the story breaks down as you go beyond the borders of the U.S., as a reader from Canada, the intended magic of this book is unfortunately lost.

Even though I wouldn’t place this book in the list of the best books I have ever read, I have no issues whatsoever in rating this book 4 out of 4 stars. When I place this book within its genre and length categories, it easily merits its 4 stars, as it kept me enthralled the entire time. If you are looking for a fun thriller that is easily read within a couple of hours or an afternoon, I would highly recommend this book. If conspiracy theories and/or short stories are not your cup of tea, this book is likely not for you.

Flight Grounded
View: on Bookshelves

Like Scerakor's review? Post a comment saying so!
Scerakor's Latest Review: "The Turn" by Matthew Tysz
Scerakor

Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 81 books

View Reviewer Page
2017 Reading Goal: 52 Books
Goal Completion: 94%

Did you know?

Once you join the forums and log in you will get to enjoy a very ad-reduced experience. It's easy and completely free!

Re: Official Review: Flight Grounded by Joe Jarvis

Post Number:#2 by Kitkat3
» 25 Apr 2017, 23:15

I love stories like this! Like you said it's too bad that Jarvis didn't write a full length novel. That would have been really interesting. Great review!
Kitkat3's Latest Review: "Black inked pearl" by Ruth finnegan
Kitkat3

Favorite Book: Milk and Honey
Currently Reading: All the Light We Cannot See
Bookshelf Size: 229 books

View Reviewer Page
2017 Reading Goal: 60 Books
Goal Completion: 41%

Post Number:#3 by Scerakor
» 26 Apr 2017, 05:36

Kitkat3 wrote:I love stories like this! Like you said it's too bad that Jarvis didn't write a full length novel. That would have been really interesting. Great review!

Thanks for the comment. Who knows, comments like these might motivate him to take the idea further into something a bit longer. There is plenty of precedence for authors doing that.
Scerakor

Currently Reading:

View Reviewer Page

Post Number:#4 by CatInTheHat
» 26 Apr 2017, 06:29

Love the idea behind this story. Sounds intriguing enough for me to consider reading.
Life without a good book is something the CatInTheHat cannot imagine.

Grateful to get the opportunity to explore new books with those in the OBC.
CatInTheHat's Latest Review: "The Spirit of Want" by William H. Coles
CatInTheHat
Previous Member of the Month

Currently Reading: The Surgeon's Wife
Bookshelf Size: 413 books

View Reviewer Page
Goal Completion: 86%

Post Number:#5 by kandscreeley
» 26 Apr 2017, 06:56

Wow! What an interesting plot. I love the premise of this. I'm going to have to look into this one. Thanks.
“There is no friend as loyal as a book.”
― Ernest Hemingway
kandscreeley's Latest Review: "Fortunate Monsters" by Nancy Fulton
kandscreeley
Special Discussion Leader

Currently Reading: Strong Heart
Bookshelf Size: 106 books

View Reviewer Page
2017 Reading Goal: 100 Books
Goal Completion: 87%

Post Number:#6 by Scerakor
» 26 Apr 2017, 08:19

CatInTheHat wrote:Love the idea behind this story. Sounds intriguing enough for me to consider reading.

It definitely was unique, and with the length that it was, it is hard to say you can't fit it in somewhere. Even if you don't like it the time invested isn't devastating. Thanks for the comment.

-- 26 Apr 2017, 09:22 --

kandscreeley wrote:Wow! What an interesting plot. I love the premise of this. I'm going to have to look into this one. Thanks.

I was pleasantly surprised with this one. And like I mentioned in another comment, even if you don't end up liking it, there is little harm done due to the length. It was a fun read though. Thanks for the comment.
Scerakor

Currently Reading:

View Reviewer Page

Post Number:#7 by MARGIE05RAMOS
» 26 Apr 2017, 08:32

love the idea of the story , and very interesting .
MARGIE05RAMOS

Bookshelf Size: 0 books
2017 Reading Goal: 0 Books

Post Number:#8 by Chrys Brobbey
» 27 Apr 2017, 15:18

“All passengers and crew on board are assumed dead, except for the man police say carried out the attack: Jake Evans.” In such a scenario, how does Jake absolve himself?. It'll also be interesting to find out how the author explains the conspiracy of the crew blowing up the whole plane, including themselves. Very intriguing, indeed.
Chrys Brobbey's Latest Review: "Break up with Defeat" by Jermaine Francis
Chrys Brobbey

Currently Reading: Farmer Beau's Farm
Bookshelf Size: 133 books

View Reviewer Page
2017 Reading Goal: 50 Books
Goal Completion: 22%

Post Number:#9 by Scerakor
» 27 Apr 2017, 15:37

Chrys Brobbey wrote:“All passengers and crew on board are assumed dead, except for the man police say carried out the attack: Jake Evans.” In such a scenario, how does Jake absolve himself?. It'll also be interesting to find out how the author explains the conspiracy of the crew blowing up the whole plane, including themselves. Very intriguing, indeed.

Aha, but that is the magic of this plot and the exact questions that are asked until the "twist"/answers are revealed. Read and you will find out! Thanks for the comment!
Scerakor

Currently Reading:

View Reviewer Page

Post Number:#10 by Amagine
» 28 Apr 2017, 06:19

It sounds like this should have been a longer novel to give the story more details and plot. The author still succeeded in writing a great book in a short novel format. The plot sounds very interesting and kind of unique.

Great Review! 😸
"Writing something in the spirit of Halloween is just second nature to me." -Danny Elfman

"One must be a little crazy to write a good novel." -John Gardner
Amagine's Latest Review: "My Ladybird Story" by Magus Tor
Amagine
Bookshelves Moderator

Favorite Author: Dr. Seuss
Favorite Book: Writing Irresistible Kidlit
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 706 books

View Reviewer Page
Reading Device: Fire HD 7 Tablet
2017 Reading Goal: 400 Books
Goal Completion: 45%

Post Number:#11 by Scerakor
» 28 Apr 2017, 08:00

Amagine wrote:It sounds like this should have been a longer novel to give the story more details and plot. The author still succeeded in writing a great book in a short novel format. The plot sounds very interesting and kind of unique.

Great Review! 😸

I definitely could have been longer, but it does work well in the niche it has carved itself. I just wanted to mention that it had potential! Thanks for the comment.
Scerakor

Currently Reading:

View Reviewer Page