Review of murder in concrete

Please use this sub-forum to discuss any crime, thriller, mystery or horror books or series.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
Nzube Chizoba Okeke
Book of the Month Participant
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 430
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-nzube-chizoba-okeke.html
Latest Review: The Very Hungry Beagles Guide to Poop by M. Jackson, Lucky, Mr. Beckham, Peanut

Review of murder in concrete

Post by Nzube Chizoba Okeke »

[Following is an official OnlineBookClub.org review of "murder in concrete" by arthur coburn.]
Book Cover
4 out of 5 stars
Share This Review

Charlotte came home after school to find her mother's throat slit and a strange emblem drawn in blood beside her. Left only with cryptic warnings from her father and memories of the family she once had, she embarked on a quest to find her father and get some answers. As she searched, she made discoveries that would challenge everything she had known.

With the whole world telling her that her father was dead and enemies around every corner, who could she trust? Would she get the answers she sought?

Murder in Concrete by Arthur Coburn was a book with a lot of depth. I admired how the author created layered scenes and characters, giving the reader the feeling that there was more beneath the surface. Reading about Charlotte's journey and her struggles made me emotional. She was a scared girl who had endured the shock of her mother's death and her father's disappearance. She was also a brave woman who would stop at nothing to get what she wanted. The way she deftly navigated challenges and braved everything thrown at her while searching for her father made her character compelling.

The author skillfully used suspense in this book. I loved how the uncertainty built up; one could hardly guess what would happen next. I was searching for answers with the main character, looking around every corner, analyzing each character in the book, and wondering whether they could be the one Charlotte had been looking for.

The pacing of this book seemed haphazard to me. I couldn't understand the book's flow until I was halfway in. I'd attribute this to the hurried way things were revealed in the book. It felt like a truck ride on a bumpy road. The book could have been easier to follow if the opening scenes were easier to understand. Also, the transitions between scenes seemed choppy, as though one scene didn't follow the other. I had to study the book like a textbook to understand how we got from one point to another. It negatively affected my reading experience.

The editing is professional. However, I rate the book 4 out of 5 stars and recommend it to people who love crime stories, thrillers, and suspenseful novels. One star is removed due to how long it takes to grasp the narrative.

murder in concrete
View: on Bookshelves | on Amazon
Pranav Dewangan
Book of the Month Participant
Currently Reading: The Science of Storytelling
Bookshelf Size: 30
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-pranav-dewangan.html
Latest Review: The Very Hungry Beagles Guide to Poop by M. Jackson, Lucky, Mr. Beckham, Peanut

Post by Pranav Dewangan »

The depth of scenes and characters, especially Charlotte's compelling journey, is what caught my eye. The author's skillful use of suspense keeps you guessing, mirroring the main character's quest for answers. Despite the pacing hiccups mentioned, the professional editing and the promise of a gripping crime story make me eager to dive into this thrilling novel! I will add it to my wishlist.
Donald Cecil Hufstedler
In It Together VIP
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 15
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-donald-cecil-hufstedler.html
Latest Review: Twisted Threads by Kaylin McFarren

Post by Donald Cecil Hufstedler »

Based on the review, "Murder in Concrete" by Arthur Coburn appears to be a compelling read with depth and layered scenes. The main character, Charlotte, is described as both scared and brave, making her journey intriguing. The author skillfully incorporates suspense, keeping readers guessing about what will happen next. However, the pacing and transitions in the book could be improved, which affected the reviewer's reading experience. Overall, it is recommended for those who enjoy crime stories, thrillers, and suspenseful novels.
J Writes
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 12

Post by J Writes »

The critic praises the author for developing complex situations and characters because it gives the story more depth and the sense that there is more to be revealed. They show sympathy for the main character, Charlotte, and admire her courage in the face of difficulty. The critic emphasises the book's suspenseful aspects as well, finding the plot's ambiguity and unpredictable nature enjoyable.

The reviewer criticizes the book's tempo, calling it disorganized and attributing it to the material being revealed too quickly. They contend that in order to enhance the narrative's flow, the beginning scenes should have been more explicit. They also comment on how choppy the scene changes seemed and how they needed close attention to follow.
NetMassimo
Previous Member of the Month
Currently Reading: The Machine Crusade
Bookshelf Size: 414
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-netmassimo.html
Latest Review: Three Bullets by Charles Alexander
2024 Reading Goal: 60
2024 Goal Completion: 20%

Post by NetMassimo »

This novel seems in need for a bit of polishing to make its pacing more even. Otherwise, it seems like an engaging thriller with a multi-layered story. Thank you for your great review!
Ciao :)
Massimo
Saliha Hussain
Currently Reading: How To Be Successful In Life
Bookshelf Size: 20
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-saliha-hussain.html
Latest Review: Deadly Waters: The Vietnam Naval War And Its Aftermath by Randy Miller

Post by Saliha Hussain »

The review of "Murder in Concrete" by Arthur Coburn suggests it's a captivating book with intricate scenes and depth. Charlotte, the main character, is portrayed as a blend of fear and bravery, adding intrigue to her journey. The author adeptly weaves suspense throughout the narrative, leaving readers in anticipation of the next events. However, the reviewer notes that the pacing and transitions could use enhancement, impacting their overall enjoyment of the book.

Return to “Crime, Thrillers, Mystery and Horror Books”