Official Review: Serial K by Brian Gallagher

Please use this sub-forum to discuss any crime, thriller, mystery or horror books or series.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
AliceofX
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 361
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-aliceofx.html
Latest Review: The Demon of Decay by Alex C. Gates
Reading Device: B00ICPVSYC

Official Review: Serial K by Brian Gallagher

Post by AliceofX »

[Following is an official OnlineBookClub.org review of "Serial K" by Brian Gallagher.]
Book Cover
3 out of 4 stars
Share This Review

Serial K is a criminal thriller written by Brian Gallagher. The central character of this book is a psychopath by the name of Breedlove. Since his childhood he has admired serial killers and now he has become one. Every one of his kills is a tribute to a famous serial killer, and he travels throughout the USA to become the greatest serial killer the world has ever known.

O’Callahan is an FBI agent who, alongside his ex-wife Lea who is an FBI profiler, are trying to stop Breedlove. He has a very odd relationship with his ex-wife. In the past they tried to maintain a long distance relationship while being assigned to different offices in different states, but it didn’t work. Now, despite being divorced, they still meet occasionally for romantic liaisons, and still dream of one day being truly together.

Parker, when he first appears in the story, seems like a minor side character. Due to limited FBI resources O’Callahan must seek outside help to develop a database of North American serial killers. Because of his interest in serial killers, Parker is the one selected for this task. Parker is one of the weirdest characters I’ve ever seen. He’s a student of computer science, a master hacker who can easily hack into FBI agents email accounts and manipulate their investigation. He’s also a member of the Church of Satan who doesn’t get even the simplest of pop culture references and common expressions. In short, I’ve never seen a weirder mishmash of traits. Parker very quickly goes to the dark side and joins Breedlove as his apprentice.

The final major character is another FBI agent by the name of Link who overtakes the investigation from O’Callahan. He treats everyone like crap and can’t say a single sentence without swearing. Link is a self-centered douche-bag of unimaginable proportions, and for the second half of the book he’s pretty much our villain as our main source of tension becomes FBI office politics. Which is all well and good in the beginning, but as the story goes on Link becomes cartoonish and unbelievable as a real person.

The problem I have with stories that have both the killer’s and detective’s perspective is that it’s usually used as a shortcut. If the detective has a hunch, or a gut feeling that’s not based in any evidence, then we all go along with it because we know he’s right and we don’t need to be convinced by proof. This is a big problem for Serial K. It first becomes apparent when Lea makes a profile of the killer that’s a dead-on description of Breedlove. From what little I’ve read on criminal profiling it seemed highly implausible to me. Then as the book goes on Lea is never, ever wrong about anything. Basically, psychology is turned into telepathy.

Then there’s the problem with O’Callahan, as in he doesn’t really do anything to solve the crimes. You could cut his part out entirely and the book wouldn’t suffer that much. His scenes are filled with his and Lea’s love life, them chasing Breedlove without getting any closer and descriptions of their meals. Whenever they eat something there’s a list of what exactly they ate. Not a meal goes by that’s not described in detail, but only for O’Callahan and Lea, so it really baffled me.

Also, I noticed nine errors in the book. One typo and two that had incorrect punctuation, such as, “in .Arizona at the time.” Three cases with a grammar error, such as, “He hands were,” and three where it’s only obvious from the context that the wrong word was used, such as, “Breedlove was able to read,” when it should have been Link.

With the bad out of the way, I actually liked a lot of things in this book. For one thing, Breedlove was an interesting character. He’s not merely a villain that’s hiding in the shadows, but you see behind the pride and arrogance of his twisted personality into the pathetic weakling that’s inside.

The biggest positive to me was that Serial K was one of those books that is hard to put down. At first, I was concerned that knowing what the killer was doing and thinking would take away the excitement, but it didn’t. The author maintained my attention all the way with the many twists and turns of the plot. Since the second book has already been published I think it’s no secret that Breedlove’s story doesn’t end with this book, and I think the series has a lot of potential.

I chose to read this book because I’ve always been interested in crime novels and stories about serial killers, but if I wasn’t I don’t think I could look past its plot errors. If you’re not already a fan of crime stories then I don’t know if this book will do much for you. Also, any potential reader should be warned that beyond (obviously) violence it also has plenty of adult content and language, with crass, juvenile humor. If you’re not okay with those things then you should not pick this book.

It was hard to choose a rating for Serial K. It has an equal amount of strengths and weaknesses, but in the end I went with how much I enjoyed reading it and gave the book 3 out of 4 stars.

Serial K
View: on Bookshelves | on Amazon

Like AliceofX's review? Post a comment saying so!
Amagine
Favorite Author: James Patterson
Bookshelf Size: 721
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-amagine.html
Latest Review: "Salome and Gogo visit Soweto" by Cora Groenewald
Reading Device: B00IKPYKWG
fav_author_id: 3251

Post by Amagine »

Weird fact about me... I actually like reading about serial killers. I have no idea why I have this interest, but I do. I'm interested in the fact that this killer models his killings after other famous murderers. He's also an ambitious serial killer because he wants to be the best. This sounds like an interesting read.

Great Review!?
"Piglet noticed that even though he had a very small heart, it could hold a rather large amount of gratitude." -A.A Milne

"I am grateful for all the books that sparked my imagination." -Unknown
Latest Review: "Salome and Gogo visit Soweto" by Cora Groenewald
bookowlie
Special Discussion Leader
Favorite Book: The Lost Continent
Currently Reading: The Night She Went Missing
Bookshelf Size: 442
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-bookowlie.html
Latest Review: To Paint A Murder by E. J. Gandolfo

Post by bookowlie »

I enjoyed your review, in part because I read another book by this author (Vatican Protocol). You made a good point about the profiler never being wrong about anything. Glad you liked the book!
"The best way out is always through" - Robert Frost
kimmyschemy06
Currently Reading: The Searching Three
Bookshelf Size: 694
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kimmyschemy06.html
Latest Review: Kazi Boku by M. Poyhonen

Post by kimmyschemy06 »

Sounds like an intriguing book with interesting characters except, I think, O' Callahan :) Good job on the review.
kandscreeley
Special Discussion Leader
Currently Reading: The Door Within
Bookshelf Size: 487
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kandscreeley.html
Latest Review: The Elf Revelation by Jordan David

Post by kandscreeley »

I think it would make the story more realistic if the profiler was wrong every once in a while. Nevertheless, it sounds like a really good book. I enjoy books that I can't put down. I don't know if I really want to read about a serial killer right now, but i think I might put it on my list. Thanks.
A book is a dream you hold in your hands.
—Neil Gaiman
Kitkat3
Favorite Book: <a href="http://forums.onlinebookclub.org/shelve ... 1496">Milk and Honey</a>
Currently Reading: All the Light We Cannot See
Bookshelf Size: 254
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kitkat3.html
Latest Review: A Bundle of Colorful Yarns by Louis Winslow

Post by Kitkat3 »

Thanks for the review. Haha I got a good laugh. It's so funny and bizarre that all of their meals were described. I think that I would enjoy reading this despite it's flaws.
Chrys Brobbey
Currently Reading: Farmer Beau's Farm
Bookshelf Size: 134
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-chrys-brobbey.html
Latest Review: "Break up with Defeat" by Jermaine Francis

Post by Chrys Brobbey »

"The central character of this book is a psychopath by the name of Breedlove. Since his childhood he has admired serial killers and now he has become one." I am intrigued that the author chose a good meaning name "Breedlove" for such a vile character as a serial killer. Does he explain why?
Latest Review: "Break up with Defeat" by Jermaine Francis
AliceofX
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 361
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-aliceofx.html
Latest Review: The Demon of Decay by Alex C. Gates
Reading Device: B00ICPVSYC

Post by AliceofX »

Chrys Brobbey wrote:Does he explain why?
No, it's just a last name. Personally I never really thought about it, but you're right about the name being an interesting choice.
cherrykarl
Favorite Book: <a href="http://forums.onlinebookclub.org/shelve ... 39">Broken Prince</a>
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 664
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-cherrykarl.html

Post by cherrykarl »

This is isn't my cup of tea. Whenever I'm looking at the cover it gives me creeps. And I remember the movie Saw w/c gave me nightmares when I was in Highschool.?
Peculiar. Unique. Extraordinairé | Philippians 4:13
GCamer
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 484
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-gcamer.html
Latest Review: Finding A Job in Tough Times by Dr. Tim Johnson

Post by GCamer »

I enjoy crime investigation but not much on the serial killer side. However, this book sounds intriguing despite some characters who are not that much of a help in the investigation. I wonder how this book would end... Thanks for the honest review.
Scerakor
Previous Member of the Month
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 315
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-scerakor.html
Latest Review: Gaslighting & Narcissistic Abuse Recovery: by Don Barlow

Post by Scerakor »

I love a good serial killer / thriller / crime novel from time to time. From the review it sounds like there is an excellent mix-mash of characters to enjoy in this one! I think if I can get past the unrealistic detecting methods, this would be a fun read.
Dolor
Favorite Author: Craig R. Key
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 12472
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-dolor.html
Latest Review: The Center of Gravity by Patricia Brandon
Reading Device: 1400697484
fav_author_id: 115430

Post by Dolor »

I might have nightmares reading this book. ?
This book is not my cup of tea but your review made me curious to read in case I could have a free soft or hard copy of this book. ?

The specified meals made me laugh. ?? Did it make you hungry? Great and through review! Congrats!
Saraphinerbryson
Bookshelf Size: 3

Post by Saraphinerbryson »

Am interested with the book Serial K,actually i like the books which you read and feel like you were also a characters Author did his best to make the reader feel its reality so i would like to Read the book to see what happens to The killer who was always admiring been a killer since childhood!will he be able to be killed or regret the Admiration!?? This [quote][/quote]Serial K is a must Read book for me
Waragu Samuel
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 473
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-waragu-samuel.html
Latest Review: The Reel Sisters by Michelle Cummings

Post by Waragu Samuel »

As a person who likes to understand the mind of a criminal, I will give this novel a trial. Thanks for this review.
“If things start happening, don't worry, don't stew, just go right along and you'll start happening too.”~Dr. Theodor Seuss Geisel (1904-1991)
BoyLazy
Currently Reading: Temptation Trials Part II
Bookshelf Size: 122
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-boylazy.html
Latest Review: Heartaches 2 by H.M. Irwing

Post by BoyLazy »

I love books which have no limits.. I like to read violence and some adult content if it is written creatively.. I hope this book is for me. Thanks for the great review :)
Boy Lazy
Reviewer | Blogger | Influencer

Return to “Crime, Thrillers, Mystery and Horror Books”