Official Review: The Thin Blue Li(n)e by Brian Cook

Please use this sub-forum to discuss any crime, thriller, mystery or horror books or series.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
ananya92
Favorite Author: Jeffrey Archer
Favorite Book: Pride and Prejudice
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 111
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-ananya92.html
Latest Review: A Passover in Peshawar by AM Sardar
fav_author_id: 4949

Official Review: The Thin Blue Li(n)e by Brian Cook

Post by ananya92 »

[Following is an official OnlineBookClub.org review of "The Thin Blue Li(n)e" by Brian Cook.]
Book Cover
3 out of 4 stars
Share This Review

The Thin Blue Li(n)e by Brian Cook is a book in the fiction genre. It is the second book in the trilogy and picks up the threads from where Hands Across the Sea ended. The story plays out in the city of Vasco.

Sheriff Callaghan and Undersheriff Ulrich investigate further into the Union’s complaint, trying to protect the reputation of the Agency (the Office of the Sheriff). The battle gets tougher with increasing scrutiny of the Board of Supervisors, as well as growing criticism from the denizens about the rising crime rate in the city. The foursome of Sergeants Eric Anderson, Bob Murdock, Richard Ulrich, and Seth Alexander continue to face ups and downs in their friendship, thanks to a woman and the growing debate on racism in the Agency.

Seth’s fiancée Vikki discovers an important clue about her mother’s murder but will her discovery add fuel to the tension between her and Seth? Retired official Asa Belle confronts his nightmares and decides to meet the convicted killer, Daniel Bouchette, but is it too late to find out the truth? Phoebe and Monica unearth a secret they were better off not knowing, but now that the cat is out of the bag, what are they going to do about it? Retired Sheriff Cottrell, in the grip of the Creutzfeldt-Jakob disease, reveals far too much, which could mean another storm for the Agency. Will the lies buried long ago finally see the light of the day?

Since this is the second book in the series, I expected some challenge in understanding the storyline. However, it was far more difficult than I anticipated, as the author does not give enough backstory to understand the characters and it took me a while to get a hang of the storyline. Another disappointing aspect of the book were the crude references about women in certain places, which could have been toned down.

Moving on to the positive features of the book, and there are plenty, the greatest strength of this novel is the author’s brand of storytelling. Written in third person omniscient point of view, the book is split into fifteen parts, where each section begins with some interesting anecdote or pearls of wisdom shared with the readers. The plot line is largely dialogue driven, which gives the feeling of watching a sitcom and kept me glued to the book (once I got a grip on the plot). The author cleverly switched between the multiple subplots, ensuring that the larger storyline doesn’t bore the reader.

When I think of novels featuring cops, a crime thriller jumps to my mind. But this isn’t a novel involving cops; it is a novel about cops. This book goes further than pushing the envelope; it tears it to unveil the politics, challenges and daily struggles faced by law enforcement officials and their families. This novel also gives a nuanced understanding of racism and prejudice at workplaces. Not that murder mysteries and thrill is totally missing in this novel. The story ends at an unpredictably high suspense point, leaving the reader anxious for the next installment to find out what happens next.

The funny yet insightful narrative on what happens behind the scenes in law enforcement agencies, will entertain not just readers interested in reading about police personnel, but also every reader who enjoys novels offering an amusing take on office politics. I rate this book 3 out of 4 stars.

The Thin Blue Li(n)e
View: on Bookshelves | on Barnes and Noble

Like ananya92's review? Post a comment saying so!
Amagine
Favorite Author: James Patterson
Bookshelf Size: 721
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-amagine.html
Latest Review: "Salome and Gogo visit Soweto" by Cora Groenewald
Reading Device: B00IKPYKWG
fav_author_id: 3251

Post by Amagine »

It's very interesting that instead of being a novel involving cops, it is one that is about them. It'll be interesting to read a book that depicts the good and bad moments of the law enforcement.

Great Review! ?
"Piglet noticed that even though he had a very small heart, it could hold a rather large amount of gratitude." -A.A Milne

"I am grateful for all the books that sparked my imagination." -Unknown
Latest Review: "Salome and Gogo visit Soweto" by Cora Groenewald
ananya92
Currently Reading:

Post by ananya92 »

Thank you! :)
kandscreeley
Special Discussion Leader
Currently Reading: The Door Within
Bookshelf Size: 487
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kandscreeley.html
Latest Review: The Elf Revelation by Jordan David

Post by kandscreeley »

This sounds pretty interesting. I like stories that are dialogue driven. To me it moves the story along quicker. It sounds like I would definitely want to start with the first book though.
A book is a dream you hold in your hands.
—Neil Gaiman
Manang Muyang
Previous Member of the Month
Favorite Book:
Currently Reading: Donny and Mary Grace's California Adventures
Bookshelf Size: 686
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-manang-muyang.html
Latest Review: Your Great Name by Shawn Funk
Reading Device: B00KC6I06S

Post by Manang Muyang »

The title of the book intrigues me. My first guess after reading the review is that the cops (in blue uniform) are involved in a lie. I think I will have to find out by reading the book myself.

Thank you for the review. I like stories about cops and the politics in the force.
ananya92
Currently Reading:

Post by ananya92 »

Thank you :)

Return to “Crime, Thrillers, Mystery and Horror Books”