Official Review: The Fallen Body by Stone Patrick

Please use this sub-forum to discuss any crime, thriller, mystery or horror books or series.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
debo9967
Bookshelf Size: 64
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-debo9967.html
Latest Review: "Self Examination" by VK Grover

Official Review: The Fallen Body by Stone Patrick

Post by debo9967 »

[Following is an official OnlineBookClub.org review of "The Fallen Body" by Stone Patrick.]
Book Cover
2 out of 4 stars
Share This Review

The Fallen Body by Stone Patrick is a book in the crime thriller genre. This is the first book in the Taylour Dixxon series. The story is set in the fictional small town of Marlinsville, Texas.

Taylour often pondered how it would be to work in a hotshot law firm, handling important cases, rather than sorting out neighborhood feuds over a broken fence, which was what her small legal practice offered her. Managing her private practice singlehandedly was always a challenge, but her dull routine changed when a murder case came literally to her doorstep.

Recently arrived from New York, Sarah Baines soon kicks up an acquaintance with Taylour. Little did she know, that her new friend might be her only support when she is charged with the murder of her husband Neal. Suspicious circumstances surround Sarah’s hasty departure from New York, but when she is assaulted in prison, Taylour is left in no doubt that Neal’s culprit is out there and Sarah might be next on his list. Unfortunately for Taylour, with Sarah secured in protective custody, the killer has a new target now: Taylour.

For a crime thriller, this book is a little tame, with a fast paced story but insufficient excitement. More often than not, the book focuses on Sarah’s lawyering practice, her personal troubles, and a budding romance with a Texas Ranger. Since this is the first book in the series, a fair amount of time has been devoted to developing the protagonist’s life. For example, how Taylour hosts her aimless and uninvited nephew, Spencer, and helps him find some direction in his life, was an interesting parallel story in itself. Taylour’s legal practice also throws up fascinating, albeit slightly hilarious cases, like a case of Internet dating gone wrong.

Coming back to the suspense element, the killer is a hired gun revealed pretty early in the story, leaving the question of who hired him and why, the only unsolved bit. For a contract killer, Roman Danshov, is dangerous but not menacing. Lack of discretion and rash mistakes, definitely dampen the cold-bloodedness of the villain in this tale.

The novel isn’t edgy, and apart from a few action scenes and a twist in the end, there isn’t much to keep the reader waiting with bated breadth. Another complaint I’ve with the book is the high number of errors, like misspelling ‘suspicious’ as ‘auspicious’, which could have been easily avoided with proper editing.

Since this is the first installment, I think the succeeding books might be better. This book has a good plot, but the writing style lacks steam, which leaves it half-baked. Hence, I rate it 2 out of 4 stars.

The Fallen Body
View: on Bookshelves | on Amazon | on Smashwords

Like debo9967's review? Post a comment saying so!
Chrys Brobbey
Currently Reading: Farmer Beau's Farm
Bookshelf Size: 134
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-chrys-brobbey.html
Latest Review: "Break up with Defeat" by Jermaine Francis

Post by Chrys Brobbey »

I like thrillers, especially those written by James Hardley Chase. I use him as the standard to judge other thriller writers, and I'll check this one out to see how it measures out. A good review that tickles my curiosity.
Latest Review: "Break up with Defeat" by Jermaine Francis
RosesReviews
Bookshelf Size: 31

Post by RosesReviews »

I love a good mystery, and to have it be a series is a thrill. The fact that this thriller is viewed as tame would be more to my liking in reading books. There are a multitude of graphic books and movies out there today. Thank you for sharing your review of "The Fallen Body".
kandscreeley
Special Discussion Leader
Currently Reading: The Door Within
Bookshelf Size: 487
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kandscreeley.html
Latest Review: The Elf Revelation by Jordan David

Post by kandscreeley »

Well it sounded like it was going well. Too bad it didn't pan out. Thanks for the review though.
A book is a dream you hold in your hands.
—Neil Gaiman
debo9967
Bookshelf Size: 64
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-debo9967.html

Post by debo9967 »

Thanks, all of you!
Aimy
Bookshelf Size: 15
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-aimy.html
Latest Review: "Puffy and the Formidable Foe" by Marie Lepkowski and Ann Marie Hannon

Post by Aimy »

I like thriller and have read many. Your review can help the author to look at his work from another angle and honestly speaking sometimes we don't consider some important things unless they are mentioned by someone.
Latest Review: "Puffy and the Formidable Foe" by Marie Lepkowski and Ann Marie Hannon

Return to “Crime, Thrillers, Mystery and Horror Books”