Forum Navigation: Forum Index » Books and Reading » Reviews and Discussions about Specific Books and Series » Crime, Thrillers, Mystery and Horror Books

Want FREE books and FREE Amazon gift cards?

Each day we announce via email a book that is either FREE or on a temporary sale at a great discount price. These are not your average free books. These are incredible insider deals on well-rated books. OnlineBookClub.org is where tomorrow's bestsellers are born. We also give away over $1,000 per month of free Amazon gift cards in free daily giveaways, exclusively to those signed up to these announcements! Hurry, sign up free now:

Sorry, this proves you are human.

Official Review: The Guiri by Josh Hannan

Please use this sub-forum to discuss any crime, thriller, mystery or horror books or series.

Official Review: The Guiri by Josh Hannan

Post Number:#1 by Harsh99
» 05 Apr 2017, 01:00

[Following is an official OnlineBookClub.org review of "The Guiri" by Josh Hannan.]

Book Cover
3 out of 4 stars
Review by Harsh99
Share This Review

If you've been reading books with rather predictable plots, you should try this one for sure. The Guiri is the sequel to Josh Hannan's No Fixed Abode, and I haven't read the prequel yet, but I guess neither do I need to to understand this book.

The story is described in the past as well in the present tense; they both are equally interesting, almost independent of each other and meaningful on their own. The book follows struggling singer/songwriter/writer-turned-gangster Grey Stringham through his late teens to middle-age in the most unexpected coming-of-age plot. It is a story of struggle, betrayal, freedom and ultimately, salvation. The whole story feels to be fragmented yet interconnected in a bizarrely pleasant way. It becomes really hard not to get connected with Grey on a deeply emotional level. The straightforward, no-nonsense attitude of the characters makes it clear that all of them mean business and that is why the book doesn't feel stretched at any time.

It starts with Grey struggling desperately to "make it" in the music industry. He forms a band consisting of Angelica, Leo and himself and all seems to be going well until his world falls apart for the first time. Angelica steals the credit for his sync-licensing rights and that's when he decides to leave the band. He leaves London and tries to settle for a less eventful but fulfilling life in Spain. That is when his real nightmare starts. With ghosts of his past chasing him, he gets involved in the Spanish gangster scene. Then the story takes a really unexpected turn which I'm not going to mention here. Will he somehow be able to redeem himself and eventually live his dream? Or has he come too far past the point of no return?

The reader may be forced to use Google Translate every now and then as there are certain Spanish phrases and dialogues from time to time, without which the story still makes sense but is a lot more interesting when you know what the characters are talking about. Makes sense because the writer has spent considerable amount of time in Spain.

I'm rating it 3 out of 4, as I felt the ending was a bit rushed. I'm hoping that there will be a sequel which will end Grey's tale in a more meaningful way. Some people may not like this book, so I suggest you read the prologue and/or the first chapter before purchasing it.

The Guiri
View: on Bookshelves | on Barnes and Noble | on iTunes | on Smashwords

Like Harsh99's review? Post a comment saying so!
Harsh99's Latest Review: "Raven's Peak" by Lincoln Cole
Harsh99

Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 27 books

View Reviewer Page
2017 Reading Goal: 0 Books
Goal Completion: 0%

Did you know?

Once you join the forums and log in you will get to enjoy a very ad-reduced experience. It's easy and completely free!

Re: Official Review: The Guiri by Josh Hannan

Post Number:#2 by Amagine
» 19 Apr 2017, 12:10

It sounds like an interesting contemporary novel! I like the fact where the main character is trying to break into the music scene and we get to witness all of his successes and struggles. If I decide to read the book, I'll make sure I have Google translate all ready.

Great Review! 😁
"Writing something in the spirit of Halloween is just second nature to me." -Danny Elfman

"One must be a little crazy to write a good novel." -John Gardner
Amagine's Latest Review: "My Ladybird Story" by Magus Tor
Amagine
Bookshelves Moderator

Favorite Author: Dr. Seuss
Favorite Book: Writing Irresistible Kidlit
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 713 books

View Reviewer Page
Reading Device: Fire HD 7 Tablet
2017 Reading Goal: 400 Books
Goal Completion: 45%

Post Number:#3 by kandscreeley
» 19 Apr 2017, 12:14

I do love books where I don't know what's going to happen. This definitely seems to fit the bill. I'll have to see about that first chapter you talked about. Thanks for the review.
“There is no friend as loyal as a book.”
― Ernest Hemingway
kandscreeley's Latest Review: "Metzra" by M. U. Phoenix
kandscreeley
Special Discussion Leader

Currently Reading: Strong Heart
Bookshelf Size: 107 books

View Reviewer Page
2017 Reading Goal: 100 Books
Goal Completion: 88%

Post Number:#4 by kimmyschemy06
» 20 Apr 2017, 10:06

Sounds like a very interesting book with intriguing characters. I wouldn't mind the Spanish phrases though looking them up on Google might be distracting :) Good job on the review.
kimmyschemy06's Latest Review: "A Burning in the Darkness" by AP McGrath
kimmyschemy06

Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 351 books

View Reviewer Page
2017 Reading Goal: 50 Books
Goal Completion: 106%

Post Number:#5 by Harsh99
» 20 Apr 2017, 13:26

kimmyschemy06 wrote:. I wouldn't mind the Spanish phrases though looking them up on Google might be distracting

It won't be distracting and you'd most probably end up enjoying it a lot more.
Harsh99's Latest Review: "Raven's Peak" by Lincoln Cole
Harsh99

Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 27 books

View Reviewer Page
2017 Reading Goal: 0 Books
Goal Completion: 0%