Forum Navigation: Forum Index » Books and Reading » Reviews and Discussions about Specific Books and Series » Crime, Thrillers, Mystery and Horror Books

Want FREE books and FREE Amazon gift cards?

Each day we announce via email a book that is either FREE or on a temporary sale at a great discount price. These are not your average free books. These are incredible insider deals on well-rated books. OnlineBookClub.org is where tomorrow's bestsellers are born. We also give away over $1,000 per month of free Amazon gift cards in free daily giveaways, exclusively to those signed up to these announcements! Hurry, sign up free now:

Sorry, this proves you are human.

Official Review: Ray Courage Mystery Series Boxed Set (1-4)

Please use this sub-forum to discuss any crime, thriller, mystery or horror books or series.

Official Review: Ray Courage Mystery Series Boxed Set (1-4)

Post Number:#1 by David Nash
» 31 Mar 2017, 13:00

[Following is an official OnlineBookClub.org review of "Ray Courage Mystery Series Boxed Set (1-4)" by R. Scott Mackey.]

Book Cover
4 out of 4 stars
Review by David Nash
Share This Review

The Ray Courage Mystery Series Boxed Set (1-4) by R. Scott Mackey and published by Big Hound Publishing is a great introduction to a new mystery series and a new mystery writer. In the series, you see the character’s growth as a detective. In addition, the author provides a steady improvement in the complexity of the tales.

The first three books should be classed as thrillers rather than as mysteries. From an early point in the story the reader will likely have a good idea who the murderer is. The detective, Ray Courage, is usually not too far behind your own conclusions. As a result, Ray is more often chasing proof rather than trying to determine who the killer is. However, in each successive story the plots become more intricate. Characters become more identifiable, and conflict outcomes become less predictable. By the fourth book, I was working hard solve the mystery, and I found the ending satisfying.

Mackey’s engaging writing style had me forgetting time. I enjoyed reading the stories from the opening lines. Occasionally, when forced to stop reading, I felt myself compelled to continue. I wanted to resume – to find out what would happen next – the mark of any great read.

Each story takes the main character, Ray Courage, further into the dark world of the private investigator. He loses friends. He makes enemies. He faces blackmail, betrayal, and crimes of passion, greed, and revenge. For Ray, a former college professor, the journey is not linear, and not pleasant.

The editing, though not perfect, is well done. In a series that runs over 900 pages, I only found a few minor errors - not enough to detract or distract from the stories.

I think readers will enjoy is Ray’s deliberations as he tries to solve the crimes. He evolves from seeing simple solutions in earlier novels to more complex motivations as the series progresses and his choices do not always yield perfect results.

Taken as a whole, I give the series a 4 out of 4 stars. However, if you only read the early works you may be disappointed, as the early crimes may prove too simple for sophisticated mystery readers. However, I would encourage you to read them all to see the growth of an interesting character and for the great writing style. I look forward to reading more by the author and I believe you will too.

Ray Courage Mystery Series Boxed Set (1-4)
View: on Bookshelves | on Amazon

Like David Nash's review? Post a comment saying so!
David Nash

Currently Reading: Anansi Boys
Bookshelf Size: 21 books

View Reviewer Page
Reading Device:
2017 Reading Goal: 25 Books
Goal Completion: 72%

Did you know?

Once you join the forums and log in you will get to enjoy a very ad-reduced experience. It's easy and completely free!

Re: Official Review: Ray Courage Mystery Series Boxed Set (1

Post Number:#2 by kandscreeley
» 07 Apr 2017, 07:29

This definitely sounds like something I would enjoy. It's not extremely often any more that I find a book that compels me to keep reading. This sounds like it does just that! Thanks for the review.
“There is no friend as loyal as a book.”
― Ernest Hemingway
kandscreeley's Latest Review: "Tangible Spirits" by Becki Willis
kandscreeley

Currently Reading: The Maid of Salerno
Bookshelf Size: 59 books

View Reviewer Page
2017 Reading Goal: 100 Books
Goal Completion: 43%

Post Number:#3 by CarrieMe
» 07 Apr 2017, 18:24

I sometimes feel a little lost when it comes to choosing a new mystery series, but this one sounds like it might be nice to try out!
CarrieMe

Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 346 books

View Reviewer Page
2017 Reading Goal: 100 Books
Goal Completion: 3%

Post Number:#4 by ReadandRoll[
» 08 Apr 2017, 12:16

I have enjoyed this series and look forward to book 5.
A book is like a garden carried in the pocket. ~Chinese Proverb
ReadandRoll[
Previous Member of the Month

Favorite Author: There are several
Favorite Book: Unbroken
Currently Reading: The Emerald Mile
Bookshelf Size: 457 books
Reading Device: Kindle Paperwhite
2017 Reading Goal: 50 Books
Goal Completion: 92%