Review by micoleon13 -- Raven's Peak by Lincoln Cole

Please use this sub-forum to discuss any crime, thriller, mystery or horror books or series.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
richa1706
Currently Reading: What Color Is Your Parachute?
Bookshelf Size: 35
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-richa1706.html
Latest Review: Serendipity Mystery: Diary of a Snoopy Cat by R.F. Kristi

Re: Review by micoleon13 -- Raven's Peak by Lincoln Cole

Post by richa1706 »

From the sample, this book seemed like an interesting read.The pace is good and I could find instant connect with the protagonist Reverend. It can be one of those books which you pick up and finish off in one go as storyline seems smooth and booklength is only some 200+ pages. My best wishes to the author.
janetp28752
Currently Reading: Nothing Holy About It
Bookshelf Size: 2
Reading Device: B00JG8GOWU

Post by janetp28752 »

I actually downloaded all three books in the series by this prolific young author. I was intrigued by the name and the book cover and I am of the opinion that reading only one book in a series does not do the storyline justice. (The World on Fire series)

The writing is very reminiscent of Stephen King and tension builds well in the first few pages of the book. I am only about 6% into the first book in the series according to my Kindle and already I have a big case of the heebie-jeebies. The description of dismembered bodies and entrails hanging from tree-limbs make my stomach turn. I am intrigued by the character of Reverend/ Arthur and dying (pardon the pun) to know more about his history.

The writing style reminds me of young adult novels, although I am not sure if this is what the author intended. I have a few quibbles so far about the use of cliches and adverbs, but things seem to smooth out as the story progresses. Blood always seems to taste like copper in horror novels, "immutable silence" does not make sense to me, and "instinctually" is not a word.

Horror novels are not my thing in my normal everyday reading for fun, but I am hooked enough on the character development to continue the series and try to control my shuddering in the process.

I looked up Mr. Cole's author page on Amazon and am intrigued enough to check out some of his other work, especially the Sci-Fi as I am a big fan of the genre.
Lindsey Dee
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 13

Post by Lindsey Dee »

I am so excited to read this book after reading the review! I love books involving anything supernatural!
Hoperussell_345
Currently Reading: The Expansion
Bookshelf Size: 2

Post by Hoperussell_345 »

Really amazing, thought it would’ve been boring but it’s really beneficial.
allinsondaniel
Favorite Book: Literacy and Orality
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 246

Post by allinsondaniel »

Raven peak, look amazing, the cover of the book is epic, I interesting to read.
Traci24
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 17
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-traci24.html
Latest Review: If life stinks get your head outta your buts by Mark L. Wdowiak

Post by Traci24 »

Nice review. I read Ravens Peak as well and liked the "meat" of the story. However, I had a hard time following the prologue. It didn't suck me right in until Abigail became the lead, around page 42.
Then I could not put it down.
Once again nice job on your review.
Gmdiamzon 2
Favorite Author: Scott Hughes
Favorite Book: Devilish
Currently Reading: His to Protect
Bookshelf Size: 124
fav_author_id: 6516

Post by Gmdiamzon 2 »

This book got me with its book cover. I was first wondering what could be the topic well it really says its a mystery and being strong of the chatacter in the story. I rated it 4/4 because i believe this book shows what mystery is really is.
xaldovah
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 13
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-xaldovah.html
Latest Review: Bleeding Gull - look, feel, fly by Raed Anis Aljishi

Post by xaldovah »

The review is precisely wooing. I need to check out this book soon.
smc19
Currently Reading: Monsters in the Hallway
Bookshelf Size: 72

Post by smc19 »

Certainly enjoy a good mystery, although not so much a fan of the fantasy world. Your comments make it sound like it might not steer too far from the tracks of credibility so perhaps it worth a go. Thanks.
Hyacenth_cuenca
Currently Reading: Final Notice
Bookshelf Size: 0

Post by Hyacenth_cuenca »

Interesting im looking forward for the whole story .. hope i can more until the last pages of it.
Mommybookclub3
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 5

Post by Mommybookclub3 »

Because I read your review. I want to read the book now. However I am new to this so Im not sure how this work. Do we have to buy these books and then post our reviews or are the books free to read and post review on the books read.
Thank you for your review and your help.
Mallory Porshnev
In It Together VIP
Currently Reading: Moloka'i
Bookshelf Size: 332
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-pricklypurple.html
Latest Review: The Paradize Inn by Sheri O'Sullivan

Post by Mallory Porshnev »

I wish I had enjoyed this book this much. I really found it to be rather poorly edited and lacking in originality. A lot of people seem to love it, but it wasn't for me.
Denis Kimanzi
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 5

Post by Denis Kimanzi »

Nice Review. I can't wait to read it and I hope I will enjoy it.
Mare_1807
Favorite Book: Death Beat
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 31
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-mare-1807.html
Latest Review: Heartaches by H.M. Irwing

Post by Mare_1807 »

Just the mention of Stephen King is good enough for me. I am definitely reading this book. Thanks for the review.
PIerce32265
Currently Reading: Never Say Never - Free Preview
Bookshelf Size: 81
Reading Device: B00I15SB16

Post by PIerce32265 »

The characters are Abigail and Haatim they are investigate some suspicious behavior and death in this small town called bachwater .If you like Stephen king and loves unexpected twist one to another plot this is the most book I have read and admitted that's its goes beyond scared book to wants to found out what is going on in this one horse town called backwater.Abigials past comes back to haunted her when she start to investigate this strange town to see what ws going on until they start founding out things the more it got stranger by the minute.Everyone was afraid to say anything cause they didn't want to be the next vitcem to come up missed or death.

Return to “Crime, Thrillers, Mystery and Horror Books”